Home > >

My dress shrunk - how to make it go back?

POST A REPLY

Mar 29, 2009, 11:22pm   #1
WaterMe
Hi girls,
I'm sure I'm not the only one with this dilemma! So I bought a dress, wore it twice, and washed it... stupid me put it in the dryer, and now it's too tight around the ribcage! Any idea as to how to "stretch" it back out? It's 100% cotton and doesn't give much.
Mar 29, 2009, 11:26pm   #2
Izznit
haha no.
I'd wear it around a bit. It might not go 100% back to how it originally fit, but it will loosen. Good luck!
Mar 30, 2009, 12:23am   #3
WaterMe
Thanks for the tip, izznit! I'm wearing it now (whilst trying to write a paper) and am hoping it'll stretch...

any other ideas?
Mar 30, 2009, 12:32am   #4
caterpillar
Is it a knit? It will probably stretch out if it's a knit or jersey.
Mar 30, 2009, 12:33am   #5
D
DreamingBeauty
You can always put something inside it to stretch it, like if you had a mannequin form that was your size that would be perfect but weird objects like a book might work too.
Mar 30, 2009, 12:35am   #6
1mperfectionist
hey, you can wash it again, but just don't put it in the dryer, hang dry instead.
that's what my mom usually does, and it always works.
Mar 30, 2009, 12:41am   #7
P
Purseonable
I agree with 1mperfectionist. I always re-wash things and then let them hang dry and allow gravity and the weight of the water to pull and stretch out something that shrunk. This worked recently on a pair of jeans of mine that shrunk in length when I washed them and then were as good as new after hanging them to dry the next time.
Mar 30, 2009, 3:42am   #8
WaterMe
Nope, not a knit, just a regular cotton dress. Wish my camera wasn't dead, otherwise I'd get a photo of it!

The length shrunk minimally - but that didn't bother me much since I'm short anyway (now it actually looks like an ok length). It's just the area around the ribcage that is most noticeable - I can still get it zipped up with a bit of fiddling around, but it's very tight!

I might try to soak the thing in water and put something in the center part to stretch out the ribcage area. I have no idea what to use though.
Mar 30, 2009, 1:25pm   #9
jsc6
The best attempt you could make would be to wear it and hope that it loosens up a bit but i'm going to be honest .. I don't really think it will strech .. trust me, this has happened to me plenty of times.
Mar 30, 2009, 1:37pm   #10
laurayuki
Rational Narcissist
I think just wearing it will help if it's all cotton :)
Mar 30, 2009, 2:15pm   #11
WaterMe
Thanks so much for your help everyone! I guess I'll keep on wearing it around the apartment and hope for the best. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to lose weight around the ribcage, haha
Mar 30, 2009, 10:10pm   #12
bags&shoes
shopping is an art
This is what I would try: Wet the dress with cold water. Lay it flat on a towel and then with your hands RE-SHAPE it. Stretching it back to where you want it. Let it dry flat.
Mar 31, 2009, 11:45am   #13
Rockysmom
like above poster said.
Mar 31, 2009, 11:51am   #14
stephc005
my dress had shrunked lengthwise and i hung it and attached pant hangers (wooden ones and plastic ones from the store) at the bottom and let gravity work its magic. it worked for me, but i'm not sure if you want to do that width wise to your dress.
Mar 31, 2009, 12:03pm   #15
g
gee
you'll only be able to stretch it minimally without ruining the fabric...you can do what some of the other posters suggested, but be careful not to stretch too much. stretching will def make the fabric weaker and you'll wear out the dress faster.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >