Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Why are my cookies so puffy and cake-like? Help!

POST A REPLY
 
Thread Tools
Oct 16, 2008, 1:54pm   #1
cupcake_flake's Avatar
Thread Starter
cupcake_flake
Member
I was following a recipe for a thin, crispy chocolate chip cookie. It turned out like this:



Why was it so puffy? Please help.. they are so cake-like on the inside too. More like muffin tops than an actual cookie LOL. Any tips/hints I can use for next time would be greatly appreciated!
Oct 16, 2008, 2:05pm   #2
JenWV's Avatar
JenWV
Member
My goodness... They look YUMMY!
Oct 16, 2008, 2:17pm   #3
lantana19's Avatar
lantana19
Kitten Rancher
maybe cut back on any actives that might be in the recipe, baking powder or soda, it's hard to say without looking at the recipe.
Oct 16, 2008, 2:32pm   #4
laureenthemean's Avatar
laureenthemean
Member
Did you use margarine instead of butter? That will do it. Did you use the right size eggs, or convert if you used the wrong size? Did you use the right kind of flour? The problem is usually due to too much moisture and/or not enough protein.
Oct 16, 2008, 2:51pm   #5
cupcake_flake's Avatar
Thread Starter
cupcake_flake
Member
Originally Posted by JenWV
My goodness... They look YUMMY!
Oh thank you! If you were closer I'd deliver you some!

Originally Posted by lantana19
maybe cut back on any actives that might be in the recipe, baking powder or soda, it's hard to say without looking at the recipe.
The recipe called for 1 teaspoon baking soda. I halved the recipe and used 1/2 tsp (I have measuring spoons so it was pretty accurate). Perhaps I can make it 1/4 next time?

Originally Posted by laureenthemean
Did you use margarine instead of butter? That will do it. Did you use the right size eggs, or convert if you used the wrong size? Did you use the right kind of flour? The problem is usually due to too much moisture and/or not enough protein.
I used salted butter, and the right size egg and all-purpose flour as stated in the recipe. I didn't use any substitutions. If it's due to too much moisture though - maybe I could try not adding the suggested 1 tsp of water. Or, does melting the butter in the microwave until it is liquid have anything to do with the excess moisture content? I was too lazy to wait for it to soften at room temperature.
Oct 16, 2008, 3:05pm   #6
l
lindacris
Member
First of all never use salted butter. Always use unsalted for baking. and second, I believe that you made a big mistake melting the butter. I have never done that.
But the fun is in the trying and now try again. Don't change the soda though. I hope they turn out better. I bake a lot and it is so fun to make a recipe my own. Good luck!
Oct 16, 2008, 3:10pm   #7
musicgirl's Avatar
musicgirl
Member
A good place to search might be The Food Network, I know Alton Brown did a show on cookies that explains what makes chewy, cakey, crispy, etc.
Oct 16, 2008, 3:17pm   #8
laureenthemean's Avatar
laureenthemean
Member
Yeah, it was definitely because you melted the butter.
Oct 16, 2008, 3:21pm   #9
cupcake_flake's Avatar
Thread Starter
cupcake_flake
Member
Thank you girls!! I will never microwave the butter again! I'm excited about my next batch.. thanks again
Oct 16, 2008, 3:29pm   #10
merika's Avatar
merika
Wol
Cookies usually have a mixture of baking soda and baking powder, or just baking soda. Baking soda is an alkali and weakens the proteins and makes the cookie spread. It maybe that the baking soda you used wasn't enough?
Oct 16, 2008, 4:02pm   #11
V
Vegas Long Legs
Traveler
Originally Posted by laureenthemean
Yeah, it was definitely because you melted the butter.
^^ITA!

Those look wonderful!
Oct 16, 2008, 4:05pm   #12
suretobuy's Avatar
suretobuy
Hi ya, baby!
Hmm, I don't think its from the melted butter, it may be the recipe. One of my fave recipes for choc chips cookies is from America's Test kitchen, and it calls for melting the butter, and mine turn out chewy. If you want thin and chewy, the recipe usually requires a lot of brown sugar, usually a two to one ratio to white sugar. You mentioned water, most choc chip cookie recipes don't add water, so that is unusual, maybe that's the problem?

Good luck, I don't care for cakey cookies either
Oct 16, 2008, 4:24pm   #13
suretobuy's Avatar
suretobuy
Hi ya, baby!
This looks interesting, you can vary the recipe and bake the type of cookies you want.

http://www.perkowitz.net/blog/optic/...es/006080.html
Oct 16, 2008, 5:15pm   #14
laureenthemean's Avatar
laureenthemean
Member
Originally Posted by suretobuy
Hmm, I don't think its from the melted butter, it may be the recipe. One of my fave recipes for choc chips cookies is from America's Test kitchen, and it calls for melting the butter, and mine turn out chewy. If you want thin and chewy, the recipe usually requires a lot of brown sugar, usually a two to one ratio to white sugar. You mentioned water, most choc chip cookie recipes don't add water, so that is unusual, maybe that's the problem?

Good luck, I don't care for cakey cookies either
I'm guessing they also reduce the number of egg whites in the recipe. The combination of melting the butter and reducing the egg whites will make them chewy. I'm thinking OP's recipe was for a crispier cookie, not a chewy one, in which case it is a mistake to melt the butter.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >  
TOP

Thread Tools