Home The Playground The Kitchen

Which alcoholic drink kills you?

POST A REPLY

Feb 28, 2007, 10:04pm   #31
oh gosh...just the SMELL of jaeger makes me sick!
Mar 1, 2007, 6:32pm   #32
Originally Posted by BeBeStyle
Champagne gives me the worst hangovers... Of course if I'd quit drinking after the first glass I would probably be fine...lol
Same here, love champagne, but my stomach can't take too much...

What I'd like to know, do any of you girls feel the hangovers are getting worse as you're getting older? When I think of what we use to put away partying in our hay days, the amount of alcohol that makes me feel off now seems pathetic...That's why I hardly drink anymore, 'cause the hangovers I sometimes get just after 3-4 glasses of wine don't seem worth it!
But I'm going to follow ProfNot's advice and see if it helps. I'm so jealous of Amanda, my friend is like that, she can leave my house absolutely legless, go home to sleep it off and is right as rain the next day, while I'm dying
Mar 1, 2007, 7:57pm   #33
Nasty Bish
Anything more than a couple sips of alcohol.

I don't like not knowing what's going on and I don't like not being in complete control of myself, so I don't really like to get too tipsy.

(One time, my parents picked me up from where I worked and drove me to the restaurant where we were having dinner. The plan was that after dinner, they'd drop me off so I could get my car. I ordered a Cosmo and nursed it throughout the meal. By the time we were done with dinner, I realized I couldn't drive my own car home.)
Mar 2, 2007, 2:28am   #34
::pretty:tough::
I can't really say that I ever get sick off any alcohol.. Just give me more!

I don't like the taste of Jack, so I broke up with him.

Champagne gets me giddy really quickly!
Mar 2, 2007, 5:05pm   #35
Beer! The smell, the taste it just rubs me the wrong way, and it looks like pee.
Mar 3, 2007, 4:17am   #36
Originally Posted by holly di
Beer! The smell, the taste it just rubs me the wrong way, and it looks like pee.
Mar 3, 2007, 9:55am   #37
Account Deactivated
Originally Posted by ProfNot
Hangovers are usually caused by lack of water and by combining alcohol with sugar.

Margaritas, Cosmos, Mojitos, and other drinks mixed with sugar are killers.

Wine has sugar in it so that can be a problem. Juice is almost liquid sugar so anything with OJ, pineapple juice, etc, is a killer. Cognac, rum, and other alcohols are also naturally sweet. Champagne is especially lethal because the bubbles intensify the effect.

Eating something sweet while drinking presents the same problem. You are just mixing sweet drinks in your tummy instead of in the glass.

All alcohol is dehydrating. So while your body wants water, you are making it want even more. That is why the alcohol hits so hard.

Alcohol is also a vaso-constrictor. That means it shrinks your blood veins or arteries (not sure which - might be both). Thus blood flow is inhibited. That is the reason for the headaches - your head is not getting enough blood.

Aspirin opens the blood flow. That is why it is the best ammunition to use on a headache.

Some of the gals who talked about drinking a small amount of wine and getting horiffic headaches may be allergic to something in the wine, like histamines or sulfer.

How to avoid a hangover:
Don't drink. (Durrrrr)
Don't drink anything sweet. If you like sweet drinks, just have one.
Don't drink while eating sweets.
If you do drink, consume a minimum of 8oz (1/4 litre) of water per shot or ounce of booze. Also drink a huge glass of water just before bed.
Take 2 aspirin just before bed.

Some gals like to have one glass of wine to make them less nervous when first arriving to a social event. If this is you, drink a white wine spritzer instead. (Half white wine, half fizzy water.) The bubbles will make you high faster but you are drinking water and consuming far less alcohol and will have less chance of a headache.

These tricks work.

I learned them from a past boss. I was the Operations Officer and I always hired college students to do the clerical work. So we had someone turning 21 several times a year. My boss would give a speech containing the above to help them survive the ritual bar hopping party with friends on their birthday.

Boss said he learned it while at MIT.

I doubt he learned it in the classroom.
thats really interesting!

my SO cannot handle the smell of tequila any more, but he can cook with it but opening the bottle and smelling it gets him a little ill.
Mar 3, 2007, 10:01am   #38
paper or plastic?
Back in my teen years I participated in a little bit of dangerous 'binge drinking' the results:

Jagermeister + Goldschlager = no
"Golden Wedding" cheapo whiskey = no

The Jagermeister + Goldschlager day made me quite insane, apparently I hit my head on a cinder block and didn't notice...? Anyways once I went home I had the spins and I was siiiiiccckkkk!!

The Golden Wedding problem was I just drank too much too fast. I thought I was dying that time! But I threw a cup at my friend's head and it made this hollow "doink" noise, now whenever I think of that night I hear the "doink" noise and it makes me laugh!

Beer is also just yucky. My boyfriend is always trying to get me to like beer...

Anyways, the moral of this story is don't binge drink, it's so dangerous and bad for you!!
Mar 3, 2007, 10:02am   #39
L
I like purses :)
What profnot said is sooo true. It took me years to finally figure out HOW to drink and not get sick or have a bad hangover. For me, it is very important to drink each drink slowly and be sure to eat a little something each hour, like some chips or hors d'oeurves (sp?). And after a few drinks, drink some water and take a little break. You can party all night this way, and still be in control of yourself and not get sick.
Mar 3, 2007, 10:34am   #40
I Feel Pretty!
Tequila!! Did b-day shots in college and ended up in Canada w/ my boyfriend!
Mar 3, 2007, 2:44pm   #41
Black CDC Kelly pls!
Bad champagne gives me a horrible headache, so I stick with Dom or Cristal but usually just have a vodka tonic or white wine instead.
Mar 3, 2007, 3:02pm   #42
Louis Vuitton Addict
I only really drink wine. I much prefer white, red can give me a headache.
In summer I sometimes like a long, cool gin & tonic but that too can give me a headache so I stick to wine!
Last edited Mar 3, 2007 at 3:03pm. Reason: typo
Mar 3, 2007, 3:05pm   #43
bag whisperer
151..... that's dumb of me.
Mar 3, 2007, 5:46pm   #44
Love LV
Apple martinis and Lemon drop shots.............. Tried those once several years ago...big mistake. I only drink wine, champagne or clear expensive liquor like Patron silver.
Mar 3, 2007, 8:54pm   #45
holy grail = CHANEL
oh this reminds me of CONTIKI - i'd have to say, SMIROFF BLACK - that got me totally sick - the next morning, i never made it on my helicoptor ride over the Rockies - instead i was puking and sleeping on the bus!
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground The Kitchen