Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Vegetarians- What's for dinner?

POST A REPLY

Mar 7, 2009, 12:02pm   #31
Kiss Me Deadly
Last night was pasta, sauteed veggies, and maple syrup glazed carrots and salad.
Mar 7, 2009, 5:03pm   #32
Jesskaz
Friday is pizza night. We had a big sicilian pie. Soooo good. Made up for it with oatmeal for breakfast and homemade hummus for lunch today.
Mar 7, 2009, 5:49pm   #33
PrettyInPink
<3
Well, I'm technically vegetarian (at least until lent is over!)... but, I was a strict REAL vegetarian for 5 years. Here's what I ate today...
B- 2 pancakes and a handful of blueberries. YUMMM
L- Home made tomato soup and a garden salad.
D- Panera Bread's Black Bean Soup (so good!) and a piece of bread.
S- 100 Calorie popcorn and some carrot sticks.
Mar 7, 2009, 6:09pm   #34
n
nseastar
We're having zucchini, couscous casserole. I love this recipe- it works for any vegetables and you can mix up the taste using different herbs. It's my total go-to recipe. Hubby is having pork chops with his. I do buy and sometimes cook meat for him but I won't buy pork. Pigs are smarter than dogs and farming them is sick so that's my little line. Every now and then he just wants some though and will go and buy it for himself.
Mar 7, 2009, 7:52pm   #35
lmkhlh2006
L.a.m.b. Lover
^^Would you mind posting the recipe for the zucchini couscous casserole?
Mar 7, 2009, 7:56pm   #36
RaeBelle
The Commish
Today we had Vegetable Soup with Egg Noodles. It's a go to dinner for me. Quick easy and pretty quick. DH sometimes adds Chicken Selects to his bowl.
Mar 8, 2009, 3:00pm   #37
n
nseastar
Originally Posted by lmkhlh2006
^^Would you mind posting the recipe for the zucchini couscous casserole?
Here ya go. Even people who don't care for couscous tend to like it because the texture is different when cooked this way.

Baked Couscous and Zucchini

14 oz vegetable broth
3/4 c couscous
4 c chopped zucchini
1 sm onion chopped
2 t garlic
2 T fresh basil
1 T fresh oregano
1 c shredded italian cheese blend (mozzarella, provolone, parmesan, romano, fontina, asiago))
1 egg beaten
salt and pepper

preheat oven to 350

Boil 1 c salted veg. broth, add couscous, cover and remove from heat, let sit 5 min.

In a little olive oil over med-high heat, saute onion a few minutes, add zucchini and saute till mostly cooked adding garlic in the last minute. Salt and pepper. Stir in herbs and remove from heat.

Combine couscous and vegetables, half of the cheese, egg and the rest of the vegetable broth (6 oz).

Pour into a casserole dish and top with the remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes.

If you use dried herbs just add less and add them when you begin sauteing. I actually have no idea how much garlic I use but it's a lot- I LOVE garlic. I just put the 2 tsp as a starting point for the recipe. I usually use whole wheat couscous but bought a mixed couscous- spinach, carrot and wheat- the last time and it was so pretty and colorful. Not much difference in taste. Also use what ever cheese you prefer. I've also used colby jack and cheddar jack and thyme instead of basil and oregano. I've made this with yellow squash, broccoli, broccoli and carrot and even mixed frozen vegetables and it's always delicious.
Last edited Mar 8, 2009 at 3:04pm.
Mar 8, 2009, 3:18pm   #38
Jesskaz
^^^This looks delicious! Do you think it would work without the egg? DH hates eggs, if he knows they are in there he won't eat it even if you can't taste them lol!
Mar 8, 2009, 5:08pm   #39
n
nseastar
Originally Posted by Jesskaz
^^^This looks delicious! Do you think it would work without the egg? DH hates eggs, if he knows they are in there he won't eat it even if you can't taste them lol!
I think it needs some kind of binder but it might work. I've attempted to go vegan a few times and had good luck with Ener-G egg replacer in other recipes that used egg as a binder so it should work in this one. I've also heard of using a few Tbs of potato starch or arrowroot powder as a binder but I haven't tried them.
Mar 8, 2009, 6:37pm   #40
lmkhlh2006
L.a.m.b. Lover
Thanks nseastar, I will definitely try this later this week!
Mar 8, 2009, 9:11pm   #41
moodysmom10
i gotta question ladies! i bought some peppers and want to make stuffed peppers but what can i stuff them with? lol i've always seen a hamburger mix used...
Mar 8, 2009, 9:28pm   #42
heartnaspade
^^ There's a really good recipe in Glamour for stuffed peppers...let me dig it out
Mar 8, 2009, 11:22pm   #43
moodysmom10
^ohh thanks heart!
Mar 9, 2009, 12:19am   #44
heartnaspade
Here is the pepper recipe, as well as two others that were in the column "3 Veggie Mains That Satisfy Like Steak" I haven't tried any of these, but they look really easy and simple!

Couscous-Stuffed Pepper

Slice the top off a red or yellow pepper; clean out seeds and veins. Simmer in a pot of boiling water for 7 to 10 minutes or until tender (not mushy!). Set drained pepper aside. Meanwhile, make couscous according to package instructions. Toss with herbs (chopped basil, dill, mint and/or parsley), toasted pine nuts and 1 tbsp. olive oil; add crumbled feta cheese and canned, drained chickpeas. Fill pepper with couscous mixture.

Spica Soba Noodles

In a blender, mix 1 tbsp. peanut butter, 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, and 1 tsp. each honey, fresh lime juice, soy sauce and water. Toss with cooked noodles and cilantro.

Rice and Beans Burrito

Make instant rice; heat a can of rinsed black beans with 1/2 cup vegetable stock, a squeeze of lime, salt and pepper. Place rice and beans on a tortilla; top with grated cheddar, avocado, sour cream and hot salsa. Fold!
Mar 9, 2009, 1:19am   #45
spoiled_brat
Here is a super easy vegetarian chili recipe. I do not claim originality, it is mostly lifted from allrecipes.com. It is supposed to be 4 servings but only makes 2 for me Hehe

Vegetarian Chili

1/2 cup chopped onion (about 1/2 of a medium sized-one)
1/4 cup chopped carrots (about 1/2 carrot)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 chopped each red and green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped celery (about 1/2 stick)
2-3 tsp chili powder
1/2 of a 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped (or just buy the diced kind)
1 (19 oz) can red kidney beans
1/2 of an 11 oz can whole kernel corn
couple of tablespoons of oil

Heat up the oil in a pot. Saute onions, carrots and garlic until tender (about 5 mins). Stir in bell peppers, celery and chili powder. Cook until vegetables are tender (about another 5 mins). Stir in tomatoes, kidney beans and corn. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer for about 20 mins.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >