Home The Playground The Kitchen

sides to go with ham help

POST A REPLY

Dec 5, 2007, 8:56am   #1
p
what side items should i have with ham on christmas im only going to have 6 people for dinner so just a few items will be good thanks for the help
Dec 5, 2007, 9:30am   #2
e
I think it depends on how fancy you are going. My mom is a simple cook and when she makes ham, she usually pairs it w/ creamed peas and potatoes. You could also do mashed potatoes- garlic or something flavored b/c you won't have gravy w/ a ham, or baked sweet potatoes or a sweet potato puree- there is an awesome recipe for one on 101cookbooks.com. Most veggies go w/ ham, just depends on what you like!
Dec 5, 2007, 10:17am   #3
my mom makes this glaze with raisens, pinapples, and cherries, its amazing.

Also I adore macaroni and cheese with ham.....yum.
Dec 5, 2007, 10:30am   #4
Yep-homemade mac and cheese is great with ham. i usually do sweet potatoes. Scalloped potatoes are good with ham also.
Dec 5, 2007, 10:51am   #5
Definitely home made baked mac n cheese! Mmmmmmmmmm
Dec 5, 2007, 12:54pm   #6
Scalloped or AuGratin potatoes, pineapple stuffing and a simple green vegetable like steamed broccoli, green beans or roasted brussels sprouts (if your family will eat them)...
Dec 6, 2007, 6:53pm   #7
Ooh la la!
Acorn squash baked in the oven and after topped with some syrup and walnuts

Scalloped potatoes

Biscuits

Green beans or salad
Dec 6, 2007, 7:10pm   #8
d
Sweetcorn pudding (not a pudding in the dessert sense of the word). Delicious. I'm happy to post the recipe if you wish.
Dec 7, 2007, 12:22am   #9
ladyjane
sweet potatoe and pear casserole, so yummy and easy!!
get 4(90z) cans cut sweet pots drained
3 pears peeled, quartered, and cored
1/3cup chopped pecans
1/3cup brown sugar, packed
3 tblspn flour
3 tblspn butter, melted

In an 8in square baking dish, combine sweet potatoes and pears. in a small bowl, mix pecans,brown sugar, 3 tablespoons of flour and the melted butter to make a paste. crumble mixture over pots and pears. bake for 20-30 min or until potatoes and pears are tender. uhmm yummy!!! you can add as much pecans and brown sugar as you like, if you like it sweeter! enjoy. I make it all the time with pork chops with herbs de provence on them so good, I'll have to make this for dindins friday!
Dec 7, 2007, 5:42pm   #10
au gratin potatoes, steamed asparagus, waldorf salad (with apples, walnuts, grapes, and a creamy dressing)
Dec 7, 2007, 6:11pm   #11
Call me Jill!
My Mom always made whipped potatoes, cabbage and carrots. She also made a Au Jus for the potatoes.
Dec 7, 2007, 6:26pm   #12
p
I do ham a lot for Christmas and I usually do scalloped potatoes, brussels sprouts with toasted hazelnut butter, a green salad, cranberry chutney and biscuits.
Dec 7, 2007, 9:02pm   #13
not humored
I think scalloped potatoes and asparagus are nice. I am also a sucker for some nice mustard to accompany the ham. The sharpness and the acidity tend to balance out the fattiness of the ham. I'm sure your meal will be delicious.
Dec 7, 2007, 9:29pm   #14
c
NOT healthy, but delish:

Pineapple casserole from allrecipes.com

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pineapp...le/Detail.aspx

also, Honeybaked Hams sells a great cranberry/walnut chutney. Yummmmm
Dec 8, 2007, 4:45pm   #15
Maybe some kind of caserole. Someone in my family makes stuffed melaton (no idea how to spell this) and it's great for the holidays. Also other types of casarole dishes like broccoli or whatever.
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground The Kitchen