POST A REPLY

Jan 2, 2011, 4:18pm   #1
I have a gold bangle that I bought that tested as 8k gold. What exactly does that mean? I know it's the lowest grading for gold. Will it end up tarnishing like plated gold? I didn't pay much for it ($25) and it's a very cute simple bangle style that I have been wanting forever but couldn't see paying $500+ for 14k to bang around at work. Also is it safe to clean in the same cleaner as I use for my 10k jewelery?
Jan 2, 2011, 4:25pm   #2
love shopping!!!
10kt is the lowest that can be sold as gold in the US. So I would consider it maybe to be gold-plated and I wouldn't use the same cleaners as for gold. Likely it's brass underneath.
Jan 2, 2011, 4:26pm   #3
t
It is 33% pure gold. 10k gold is 41.7% percent pure gold, 14K gold is 58.3% pure gold and 18 is 75% pure gold. The remaining percentage (to make it up to 100%) is usually mixed with copper and silver. You should be able to treat it just like your 10k. I hope that answers your questions.

The above poster is correct, in order to be sold as gold in the US, it has to be at least 10k, but in other countries 9k and even 8k are considered gold.
Jan 2, 2011, 6:16pm   #4
Originally Posted by tbbbjb
It is 33% pure gold. 10k gold is 41.7% percent pure gold, 14K gold is 58.3% pure gold and 18 is 75% pure gold. The remaining percentage (to make it up to 100%) is usually mixed with copper and silver. You should be able to treat it just like your 10k. I hope that answers your questions.

The above poster is correct, in order to be sold as gold in the US, it has to be at least 10k, but in other countries 9k and even 8k are considered gold.
I am in Canada if that makes any difference? I know it's not common here because I have never heard of anything under 10k before in jewelery stores. I bought it at a second hand store and they had it tested at the local jewelers before pricing and selling it, so I'm guessing it's probably either fairly old or not from around here originally, and it doesn't have any markings that they could find. Probably why I got it for so little. It's cute though will try to get a pic later if I can.
Jan 3, 2011, 1:03am   #5
t
Does the bangle have any other hallmarks stamped? Jewelry in many countries are legally required to stamp their registered symbol on their jewelry so that they assure the purity of their products. Other than that I'd worry about corrosion. Gold doesn't tarnish but your bangle must certainly be alloyed with plenty of base metal. I'd probably try not to get it wet or get acidic food (egg, mayonnaise, tomato, etc.) and salt on it. Weigh it and figure out its melt value. If you don't want to or can't resell it for a profit then treat it with the the same care you'd give to fashion jewelry.
Jan 3, 2011, 4:30pm   #6
Bling!
I have lots of antique 9k British gold and it doesn't corrode and isn't plated or considered to be plated, contrary to some earlier posts. I haven't given it any special treatment and it looks really nice.
Jan 3, 2011, 4:35pm   #7
M
Most likely the bangle originated outside of North America. Just treat/clean it like any of your other jewelery. What a great find for $25.
Jan 3, 2011, 5:48pm   #8
ReMember
9 carat is common in the UK and stands up well enough - it can actually be harder therefore more robust than 14 or 18 carat.
Jan 3, 2011, 6:10pm   #9
Originally Posted by tiffanysilver
Does the bangle have any other hallmarks stamped? Jewelry in many countries are legally required to stamp their registered symbol on their jewelry so that they assure the purity of their products. Other than that I'd worry about corrosion. Gold doesn't tarnish but your bangle must certainly be alloyed with plenty of base metal. I'd probably try not to get it wet or get acidic food (egg, mayonnaise, tomato, etc.) and salt on it. Weigh it and figure out its melt value. If you don't want to or can't resell it for a profit then treat it with the the same care you'd give to fashion jewelry.
there is something small on the inside but I can't tell what it is. It looks like a little box with a few dots or they might be markings I just haven't checked it out yet with a magnifying glass.
I just bought it so am not thinking of selling it. I have been wanting a simple gold bangle forever but didn't want to spend that kind of money on 14k. I also won't feel as bad about banging it around since I know it didn't cost a fortune LOL :)
Jan 3, 2011, 7:34pm   #10
Here is a crappy cell pic of the bracelet. My camera battery is dead :(
It's basically little circles around the bracelet.
Attached Images

Jan 3, 2011, 8:40pm   #11
Bling!
That's really pretty and a great find! This is my Victorian padlock bracelet (I think the padlock was added later as the bracelet has a pinker tone to it - probably more copper in the alloy, though they are both 9k). No corrosion, no tarnish. I've had it for a long time, over 20 years, and never noticed a change in condition.

Enjoy your bracelet for many years to come!
Attached Images

Jan 3, 2011, 9:35pm   #12
ohh I love that bracelet!!
I love anything victorian!
Jan 4, 2011, 7:23am   #13
t
Actually, any gold jewelry lower than 24k can conceivably tarnish and it gets more likely as the karat mark goes down. Lower karats are not a bad thing - 8k gold is much stronger than, say, 18k or 14k gold! I'd probably take it off before going into chlorinated water or saltwater to keep it from tarnishing or getting brittle, but I wouldn't recommend wearing any jewelry in the pool for the same reasons.

Don't worry too much and enjoy your bangle! It's really beautiful. Most gold only tarnishes after years of exposure to marine elements in cases where it's found with a metal detector. If your bangle does tarnish just use some elbow grease to polish and it will look as good as new!
Jun 10, 2012, 4:23pm   #14
Bumping this because I figured out what the stamp was on the bracelet. I was bored and cleaning my jewellery when I decided to try to look with a magnifying glass. It looks like a backwards B integrated with an R the straight line of the backward B and R are joined. It's very tiny and I can't get a decent photograph but I have tried looking it up and came up with nothing :(
Old thread is old but I'm still enjoying the bracelet :)
Aug 29, 2013, 4:51pm   #15
L
Pure gold (100%) is 24k, therefore 8k gold is 33.3% gold and 66.6% alloys (other metals). 8k gold is actually too impure to be sold as gold. If you wanted a higher karat, you could consider returning the piece for a refund if the seller sold it to you as a gold piece. On the other hand, because you bought the piece for a good price and love the style, you might want to keep it. After all, a lot of costume jewellery is more expensive than that. As long as your skin is not sensitive to certain alloys that may be in the bangle (nickel, etc..)
POST A REPLY
  HOME Accessorize Yourself The Jewelry Box