Home > >

Size of Diamond Stud Earrings

POST A REPLY

Jul 13, 2006, 11:14pm   #1
l
lovehermes
What is an appropriate size for a classic pair of diamond stud earrings?
Jul 13, 2006, 11:19pm   #2
IntlSet
Bonjour!
I wouldn't do more than a carat on each ear, personally.
Jul 13, 2006, 11:45pm   #3
Japster
Account Deactivated
It really depends onthe person, some prefer 1/2 carat others prefer 4 carat. :)
Jul 13, 2006, 11:48pm   #4
Swanky Mama Of Three
what are your preferences?
Are you young and may want to upgrade later?
Do you not care about upgrading and you want a conservative size to keep as a staple?

I have about 3/4 carats per ear now and DH wants to upgrade them. We'll probably go to 1 carat or just over soon.
The .5 to .75 are actually pretty decent sizes.
Jul 13, 2006, 11:52pm   #5
IntlSet
Bonjour!
Originally Posted by Swanky Mama Of Three
what are your preferences?
Are you young and may want to upgrade later?
Do you not care about upgrading and you want a conservative size to keep as a staple?

I have about 3/4 carats per ear now and DH wants to upgrade them. We'll probably go to 1 carat or just over soon.
The .5 to .75 are actually pretty decent sizes.
Yes! I think that around a carat can work for social and professional occasions.
Jul 13, 2006, 11:53pm   #6
l
lovehermes
Well, to tell you the truth, I'm 47. I just bought a pair of diamond studs that are 1.25 per each ear. I'm not sure if I'll feel later that they are too small. I'm worried that I might get used to the size. I wear classic, simple clothing and don't want anything too large. Maybe the size I bought is too large?
Jul 13, 2006, 11:54pm   #7
l
lovehermes
I just want to spend money on one pair and not keep upgrading.
Jul 14, 2006, 12:23am   #8
Swanky Mama Of Three
1.35 isn't too big IMO . . . also, carat weight can be fuzzy because of teh dimensions. 1 full carat can look bigger if it's not deep and has a bigger table than average. Vice versa, .75 can look like .50 carat if it's too deep and the table isn't big.
KWIM?

We tend to want to trade up on things at my house. . . can be bad sometimes! LOL!
I'd actually REALLY like 2 carats each!
Jul 14, 2006, 2:17am   #9
R
Roo
I got mine from diamondstudsonly.com and they are GREAT

I have 1.25 VS2s and I love them. They also have a great tradeup policy.
Jul 14, 2006, 2:22am   #10
d
dec5
i think there's no "appropriate" size. its actually depends on the person.

for me, its 50 pts per stone. good enough to wear daily w/ jeans or anything a little dressier.
Jul 14, 2006, 3:03am   #11
IntlSet
Bonjour!
Originally Posted by dec5
i think there's no "appropriate" size. its actually depends on the person.

for me, its 50 pts per stone. good enough to wear daily w/ jeans or anything a little dressier.
To each her own, but I think there's always an appropriate style. If you're hob-nobbing with movie stars, 5 carats on each year is "appropriate." If you're an investment banker, you probably are not going to wear those 5 carat earrings to the office. You'd certainly enjoy them on your off hours, though!
Jul 14, 2006, 4:14am   #12
Chanel4me83
Account Deactivated
My everyday are .50 each total 1.c round cut. Then I have 1.5 each total 3.c Asscher for days when bigger is better. Both pairs set in Platinum
Jul 14, 2006, 6:03am   #13
p
pursemember
i think they are just fine. i think anything up to 3 carat is fine for everyday if it fits your height (yes height is important with jewelry)

personally i do not own any studs as i prefer my earring more well longer danglin and bigger (hoops is the most casual thing i do )
Jul 14, 2006, 7:03am   #14
Bee...Bee
Dizziness to myself
Originally Posted by IntlSet
If you're an investment banker, you probably are not going to wear those 5 carat earrings to the office. You'd certainly enjoy them on your off hours, though!
Normally I agree with this but if you are in M&A you may have to wear 5 carats to get the upper hand. The very rare ladies who are in M&A in my place buys big round cut diamond studs for this purpose (because necklaces, rings and watches are too obvious). It's a bit like the men showing off bigger watches to outdo each other .

However since I'm not in M&A, my best effort is 2 carat (on each side) F, VS1 but to be honest it's a bit redundant and I don't wear it often because on most occassions that allow you to show that much bling, you go for more ornate designs which are more effective for the WOW factor.

So I think probably your original thought is about right and I would not go over 1.5 for everyday use.
Jul 14, 2006, 7:24am   #15
p
pursemember
Originally Posted by Bee...Bee
because on most occassions that allow you to show that much bling, you go for more ornate designs which are more effective for the WOW factor.
rrrrright my dear
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >