Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Do your diamonds do this: turn dark purple in direct light/flash?

POST A REPLY

Jul 2, 2013, 12:07pm   #1
a
aquahot
M.
I just got a diamond that I purchased online and it's a little annoying to see it turn purple in flash photoes. Do your diamonds do this? It doesn't matter how far away the camera is, as long as I use flash, the diamond turns blackish. Most of the time we take pictures at dimly lit restaurants, and this effect is bugging me a bit.

It's like it has split personalities!

ugh, I don't know how to resize the picture.
Attached Images

Jul 2, 2013, 12:15pm   #2
Candice0985
I've never seen that! what the colour specs on the diamond?

sometimes my yellow diamond will go brownish if the room is dark and there is pot lights in the ceiling....not it's most attractive angle I guess!
Jul 2, 2013, 1:02pm   #3
a
aquahot
M.
Here is another picture of the diamond in a very dimly lit room. What do yours look like when taken with flash?
Attached Images

Jul 2, 2013, 1:13pm   #4
TechPrincess
Depending on the lights mine will "white" out .. I haven't noticed the black color
Jul 2, 2013, 1:16pm   #5
ChaneLisette
That is so pretty! I love diamonds with personality. Mine has never done that and it has strong blue fluorescence. I was trying to get a good picture but the iPhone camera flash kept blurring the diamond. It still looked very white though.

Jul 2, 2013, 1:30pm   #6
a
aquahot
M.
It's an AGS0 without fluorescence.
It looks like an amethyst in almost all the flash pictures. Idk
Jul 2, 2013, 1:37pm   #7
Candice0985
Originally Posted by aquahot
It's an AGS0 without fluorescence.
It looks like an amethyst in almost all the flash pictures. Idk
maybe ame will chime in....I've never seen a diamond look like an amethyst! what is the cut grade on the diamond?
Jul 2, 2013, 2:57pm   #8
madiemic
madiemic
I love the color that it turns with the flash....heck I would want it to stay that color! :)
Jul 2, 2013, 3:02pm   #9
ame
That is kind of interesting, esp since you say there isn't any fluorescence. You say it does that EVERY time you use the flash? Does it do it from any angle? Only in lighting situations that require flash? What type of camera are you using? Is this your phone? Is your phone colored or using a colored case?

My stone has med-strong blue fluorescence and sometimes I have a weird blueish response to flash, but it's usually when I am at an angle, not head on.
Jul 2, 2013, 4:13pm   #10
a
aquahot
M.
It's an AGS ideal cut with ideal symmetry and polish.

It's purple when shot from all angles EXCEPT from the pavillion. From the side, it looks tootally clear.

Originally Posted by ame
That is kind of interesting, esp since you say there isn't any fluorescence. You say it does that EVERY time you use the flash? Does it do it from any angle? Only in lighting situations that require flash? What type of camera are you using? Is this your phone? Is your phone colored or using a colored case?

My stone has med-strong blue fluorescence and sometimes I have a weird blueish response to flash, but it's usually when I am at an angle, not head on.
Attached Images

Last edited Jul 2, 2013 at 4:26pm.
Jul 2, 2013, 5:35pm   #11
ame
It only looks purple in that top one. Do a straight on face down.
Jul 2, 2013, 5:51pm   #12
a
alf13
I can't offer any technical help; I just popped in to say that I think the purplish flashes are beautiful! I wish mine would do that.
Jul 2, 2013, 9:30pm   #13
r
rabbits
^ me too!
Jul 3, 2013, 10:16am   #14
Swanky Mama Of Three
I see all kinds of colors in photographs to be honest. Even on celebs and in magazines. Lighting and flash really alter a color or brilliance on diamonds IMO.
In one picture people will comments about how weird a celebs ring looks, in the next w/ controlled lighting the strange color is gone.
Jul 3, 2013, 10:22am   #15
t
texasgirliegirl
Originally Posted by aquahot
I just got a diamond that I purchased online and it's a little annoying to see it turn purple in flash photoes. Do your diamonds do this? It doesn't matter how far away the camera is, as long as I use flash, the diamond turns blackish. Most of the time we take pictures at dimly lit restaurants, and this effect is bugging me a bit.

It's like it has split personalities!

ugh, I don't know how to resize the picture.
Fluorescence?
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >