Home > >

Antique & Vintage Jewelry

POST A REPLY

Jun 24, 2006, 11:44pm   #16
CastoCreations
I think history makes everything more beautiful. :) My mom is an antique addict and I got a little bit of that in my blood. I love getting vintage (true vintage...pre-1960s) and antique beads and jewelry. My mom's whole house is full of old and antique furniture too.

All the pieces you guys posted are fantastic! I especially LOVE that ring, westipup. Gorgeous!
Jun 25, 2006, 12:27am   #17
thompk
Alright...this is my engagement ring...the story (I will keep it short)!

My father didn't have enough money to buy my mom an engagement ring so he made a 3 prong Silver 1930's British Fork (yes, the eating kind) into my mother's ring...hence the three prongs...

Then, with my father & mother's permission, my husband had a 39 B.C. Marc Antony coin that he got in Rome (two years before proposing ) & sodered it to my mother's ring with my father. He had it carbon dated & authenticated before all of this of course... and this is my engagement ring!
Attached Images

Jun 25, 2006, 1:41am   #18
mlertpac
thompk- that is really awesome! is your dad a sculptor or engineer?

edit: typo
Jun 25, 2006, 1:47am   #19
mlertpac
I need to ask my dad how old these are, because he was the one that obtained them. I know they are super old- especially the one without any jewels. Handcrafted from gold.

My sister has a very impressive collection of antique beads, but I can't photograph them without her permission.. so... bummer. Glass beads are awesome to collect, because they are cheap and really pretty. They cost more than the typical mass-produced bead, but they're so irregular in shape and color- it makes it all the more merrier... I'll get around to photographing those...
Attached Images

Jun 25, 2006, 2:53am   #20
TammyD
Rising Star
I love vintage jewelry, especially if they belonged to my grandmother. She gave me an amber brooch last year, and then a diamond ring for my wedding. Will post pictures.
Jun 25, 2006, 10:41am   #21
fryedaze
Why not?
Quote:
Here's one of my favorites and one I wear constantly. I hang it on a silk cord and have different colors which I change depending on what I'm wearing. It's from mid 1700's, rose cut diamonds encased in rose gold, possibly Portugese.
Shopmom411: can we see a close-up, please??!
Jun 25, 2006, 12:25pm   #22
w
westiepup
Oh ladies, you all have some really nice pieces.

fryedaze - I love the enamel pieces, they are stunning!

Originally Posted by fryedaze
I found the earrings first, and then a few years later the bracelet. They are from the same workbench - both have the same jeweler's hallmark!
How amazing is that? Part of the fun of collecting must be in the hunt!

shopmom411 - That's a beautiful piece, I'd love to see a close-up too.

thompk - what a lovely band! OMG! You have the most unique engagement ring I've ever seen. Your father is a genius to even think of making an e-ring out of a fork and then to execute it with such perfection... WOW! And your DH, he's making me cry! What a family treasure your e-ring is.

mlertpac - Gorgeous rings! Is that a natural ruby in the second ring?
Jun 25, 2006, 12:38pm   #23
mlertpac
Originally Posted by westiepup
mlertpac - Gorgeous rings! Is that a natural ruby in the second ring?
yup it is,... in old fashioned rose cut. I'm guessing it's a ruby from thailand, before they were all dug up and sold!
Jun 25, 2006, 4:39pm   #24
xxheartbreak
sweet catastrophe
i loveeee vintage jewelry.
i think it's gorgeous.
Jun 25, 2006, 5:01pm   #25
ilzabet
easily amused
Originally Posted by thompk

My father didn't have enough money to buy my mom an engagement ring so he made a 3 prong Silver 1930's British Fork (yes, the eating kind) into my mother's ring...hence the three prongs...

Then, with my father & mother's permission, my husband had a 39 B.C. Marc Antony coin that he got in Rome (two years before proposing ) & sodered it to my mother's ring with my father. He had it carbon dated & authenticated before all of this of course... and this is my engagement ring!
this is the sweetest story ever...and a good looking ring too! :)
Jun 25, 2006, 11:27pm   #26
thompk
Originally Posted by ilzabet
this is the sweetest story ever...and a good looking ring too! :)
He's going to kill me for this...but he is damn cute !!! Let's not tell him that I put a pic of him up on the PF!!! Otherwise he is going to be a PHH!! & Thanks SO much for the complements...

My dad is an artist like myself...I am more of drawing and painting...and he can do or make ANYTHING...I will post pics of my mom & dad's wedding bands that he pounded out of two european gold coins...he is just amazing...and my husband...well, the story says it all!!

K
Attached Images

Jun 26, 2006, 2:40am   #27
ilzabet
easily amused
a good looking couple to match the good looking ring! i love couple pictures...you guys look so happy!
Jun 26, 2006, 12:37pm   #28
Japster
Account Deactivated
Beautiful items- and cool stories behind them!

I'm sure I've mentioned that I do a lot of repair and redesigning of engagement settings, vintage and estate pieces. I've come across amazing Chopard sets ($500k) and breathtaking diamond necklaces.
Although they might not be my style, they are lovely to look at and work with.
Here are some things I have worked on or have:
These are vintage pendants I repaired and put on chains I made:
Glass& 14k solid gold bonsai tree/ 14K Gold and Carved Lapis Elephant.
[IMG]http://*****************.com/images/Fall2005/Fall2005/vintage3.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://*****************.com/images/Fall2005/Fall2005/vintageelephant3.jpg[/IMG]
18K early 1940's Pink Gold necklace

Jun 26, 2006, 1:49pm   #29
LV Rawks
Originally Posted by thompk

That is awesome!
I love antique jewelry...I have my grandmothers high school ring, from 1924, and I treasure it. It looks brand new, she must have taken very good care of it. When I was younger, she used to let me wear it...when she died, my father gave it to me .
Jun 26, 2006, 7:46pm   #30
Kat
Originally Posted by fryedaze
Anyone else a fan of antique and vintage jewelry?

Here's my latest find. Best I can date these earrings judging from style, materials and motif (using info in Warman's) is late 1800's / early 1900's. They're enameled in cobalt blue on 14K gold. American made.

Please show me your treasures!
I love antique and vintage jewelry. Unfortuntely, I do not own any pieces ... yet. I absolutely love those earings! Where do you find antique/vintage jewelry for sale?
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >