Home > >

$16k budget for my first Rolex - what would you choose?

POST A REPLY
 
Thread Tools
Jun 11, 2012, 11:40am   #1
bem3231's Avatar
Thread Starter
bem3231
Member
Hello everyone...

My husband is buying me a rolex (my first) to celebrate my birthday this year. We have set a tentative budget of $16k. I am wondering which model you would purchase for that amount?

Although I am still vascillating between 26mm and 31mm, I think that I may be leaning towards the mid-size. I definitely do not want to go any larger than 31mm.

I am primarily interested in two-tone with yellow gold. I have considered upping our budget to get a President, but there are very few Presidents that I don't think look over the top. Still, I'm wondering if I might regret NOT getting a President down the road?

FYI I am in my late thirties and spend a lot of my time caring for my two year old toddler. I am 5'9" with a slim build. I do wear a fair bit of valuable jewelry on a daily basis, so I'm looking for something with a bit of bling but without going over-the-top, if you know what I mean! My e-ring, bands, and right hand rings are all diamonds set in platinum.

I don't love full diamond bezels, but do like the look of the 'scattered diamond' bezel profiled in the second link (below). I am wondering, however, if this bezel is too 'trendy' and will date the watch over time? i want something fairly classic that will last me a lifetime, as it will have sentimental value.

Here are a few examples of the styles / models that I am drawn to. I will attach photos of a 26mm vs. a 31mm on my wrist and would love some feedback as to which size you think complements me more.

Thank you!

http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watch...d-m178271-0060 (Just like this but yellow instead of rose gold)

http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watch...d-m178343-0012 (Another option is diamond markers as opposed to roman markers)

http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watch...d-m178278-0097
Attached Images
  
Jun 11, 2012, 11:57am   #2
nvie's Avatar
nvie
21 countries...
With that budget I'll get a diamond bezel. Out of the three, I'll go for all yellow with diamond markers and MOP! My dream combination.
Jun 11, 2012, 12:01pm   #3
bem3231's Avatar
Thread Starter
bem3231
Member
Originally Posted by nvie
With that budget I'll get a diamond bezel. Out of the three, I'll go for all yellow with diamond markers and MOP! My dream combination.
Thanks for your feedback! I should have mentioned that there is about a $10k difference (as far as I can tell from current price lists) between the all-gold and the mixed, so the all gold may not be possible without a lot of negotiating with my husband! A second-hand all-gold President is certainly possible, however I'm not sure how I feel about a used model for a significant gift. Looking at second-hand Rolex sites it actually looks like I could get a President plus another for $16k...
Jun 11, 2012, 12:57pm   #4
xblackxstarx's Avatar
xblackxstarx
Member
that is a beuatiful watch, does anyone know the current prices of it in stainless steel , two tone, and in full gold so i can compare the price difference as im still deciding what to go for ?
Jun 11, 2012, 1:14pm   #5
tiffanystar's Avatar
tiffanystar
Member
Originally Posted by nvie
With that budget I'll get a diamond bezel. Out of the three, I'll go for all yellow with diamond markers and MOP! My dream combination.
Me too. Wow OP your beautiful ring looks amazing with the Rolex.
Jun 11, 2012, 1:24pm   #6
s
sublover
Member
Like the third option the best :)

How about this one for consideation: http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watch...d-m178341-0010
Jun 11, 2012, 3:39pm   #7
lilmountaingirl's Avatar
lilmountaingirl
~i LVoe/Hate LV!~
I can't currently access the links but i prefer the proportions of the 26 on you. It looks just right with your gorgeous engagement ring!
Jun 11, 2012, 4:22pm   #8
f
flash4ever
Member
Hi I dont post very often I personally like all the watches your thinking of. I have had a two tone jubliee bracelet with a fluted bezel mop and diamond dial 26 mm loved it. Now Ive invested in the midsize I like the midsize I also like the smaller one as well when ever I see other women wearing one it looks great. I really like the solid gold one to I personally dont think its too much I have a friend that has a gold rolex and it is her everyday watch it looks great on her. I dont think you can go wrong with any of them I love both my rolex watches and consider them the best purchases I ve made. I cant wait to buy another one. They look great on you.
Jun 11, 2012, 5:23pm   #9
b
beachy10
Member
I like the 31mm gold and SS with 24 scattered diamond markers and diamond IV marker with white MOP.
Jun 11, 2012, 7:12pm   #10
nvie's Avatar
nvie
21 countries...
Originally Posted by bem3231
Thanks for your feedback! I should have mentioned that there is about a $10k difference (as far as I can tell from current price lists) between the all-gold and the mixed, so the all gold may not be possible without a lot of negotiating with my husband! A second-hand all-gold President is certainly possible, however I'm not sure how I feel about a used model for a significant gift. Looking at second-hand Rolex sites it actually looks like I could get a President plus another for $16k...
I wouldnt go for second hand Rolex with that budget. The all diamond bezel fits your budget. Prices keep going up, so an all diamond bezel will costs like the all gold in 3 years time with a 10% increment annually.

I like 26mm on your wrist and if you are looking for a classic piece, don't get the 46 diamond, I think it's trendy. You have to be comfortable with 31mm when you are 60 years old, I can only imagine myself with a 26mm if I'm at that age.
Jun 11, 2012, 7:38pm   #11
bem3231's Avatar
Thread Starter
bem3231
Member
Originally Posted by beachy10
I like the 31mm gold and SS with 24 scattered diamond markers and diamond IV marker with white MOP.
Originally Posted by nvie
I wouldnt go for second hand Rolex with that budget. The all diamond bezel fits your budget. Prices keep going up, so an all diamond bezel will costs like the all gold in 3 years time with a 10% increment annually.

I like 26mm on your wrist and if you are looking for a classic piece, don't get the 46 diamond, I think it's trendy. You have to be comfortable with 31mm when you are 60 years old, I can only imagine myself with a 26mm if I'm at that age.

Originally Posted by sublover
Like the third option the best :)

How about this one for consideation: http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watch...d-m178341-0010
Thanks so much to everyone who has weighed in so far - much appreciated!

Although I really like the 'different' look of the scattered diamond bezel as well, I am sensitive to it's 'trendiness' as nvie suggested and am therefore wondering if it would date the watch.

While I like the idea of a diamond bezel, I just don't love the looks of the ones that I've seen, unfortunately. Is there any chance that I would find an entry-level President (new) for less than $20k? I'm thinking that that's unlikely, but you never know. I could always change out the dial later.

I agree that the 26mm is more 'timeless' in terms of being able to wear it for the rest of my life. That said, I have read comments elsewhere that the 31mm is easier to read once the eyes start ageing - how's that for pragmatic! Still, functionality is something that I am trying to consider.

Btw - thank you all for your comments about my ring. That is actually not my engagement ring - I just happened to be wearing it on that day as my e-ring is currently being reset. My e-ring is a round brilliant set in a platinum halo, with matching pave band. I know that the canary diamond really picks up the gold from the watch. I'm worried that an all-gold watch might clash with my platinum wedding set?
Jun 11, 2012, 8:05pm   #12
skyqueen's Avatar
skyqueen
Member
Originally Posted by bem3231
Thanks so much to everyone who has weighed in so far - much appreciated!

Although I really like the 'different' look of the scattered diamond bezel as well, I am sensitive to it's 'trendiness' as nvie suggested and am therefore wondering if it would date the watch.

While I like the idea of a diamond bezel, I just don't love the looks of the ones that I've seen, unfortunately. Is there any chance that I would find an entry-level President (new) for less than $20k? I'm thinking that that's unlikely, but you never know. I could always change out the dial later.

I agree that the 26mm is more 'timeless' in terms of being able to wear it for the rest of my life. That said, I have read comments elsewhere that the 31mm is easier to read once the eyes start ageing - how's that for pragmatic! Still, functionality is something that I am trying to consider.

Btw - thank you all for your comments about my ring. That is actually not my engagement ring - I just happened to be wearing it on that day as my e-ring is currently being reset. My e-ring is a round brilliant set in a platinum halo, with matching pave band. I know that the canary diamond really picks up the gold from the watch. I'm worried that an all-gold watch might clash with my platinum wedding set?
Well...I'm in that God-awful 50+ age group and if it were me, get the 31mm. I have a 33mm J12 and can read the dial without cheaters. Plus, you are tall and could handle that size.
I loved the Rolex with the scattered diamond bezel...very unique but not over the top. A 2 tone would be more sporty the an all gold one. Would this be an everyday watch?
Get the Rolex you'd use...you can always change the bezel or dial down the road.
Can't wait to see what you choose!
Jun 11, 2012, 8:18pm   #13
skyqueen's Avatar
skyqueen
Member
Originally Posted by bem3231
Thanks so much to everyone who has weighed in so far - much appreciated!

Although I really like the 'different' look of the scattered diamond bezel as well, I am sensitive to it's 'trendiness' as nvie suggested and am therefore wondering if it would date the watch.

While I like the idea of a diamond bezel, I just don't love the looks of the ones that I've seen, unfortunately. Is there any chance that I would find an entry-level President (new) for less than $20k? I'm thinking that that's unlikely, but you never know. I could always change out the dial later.

I agree that the 26mm is more 'timeless' in terms of being able to wear it for the rest of my life. That said, I have read comments elsewhere that the 31mm is easier to read once the eyes start ageing - how's that for pragmatic! Still, functionality is something that I am trying to consider.

Btw - thank you all for your comments about my ring. That is actually not my engagement ring - I just happened to be wearing it on that day as my e-ring is currently being reset. My e-ring is a round brilliant set in a platinum halo, with matching pave band. I know that the canary diamond really picks up the gold from the watch. I'm worried that an all-gold watch might clash with my platinum wedding set?
Well...I'm in that God-awful 50+ age group and if it were me, get the 31mm. I have a 33mm J12 and can read the dial without cheaters. Plus, you are tall and could handle that size.
I loved the Rolex with the scattered diamond bezel...very unique but not over the top. A 2 tone would be more sporty the an all gold one. Would this be an everyday watch?
Get the Rolex you'd use...you can always change the bezel or dial down the road.
Can't wait to see what you choose!
Jun 11, 2012, 10:37pm   #14
skyqueen's Avatar
skyqueen
Member
Sorry for the double post...computer malfunction!
Jun 11, 2012, 11:59pm   #15
sheanabelle's Avatar
sheanabelle
pugs for life.
I love both sizes on you but am leaning towards the 26 more.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >  
TOP

Thread Tools