Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

What is the brand and texture of your Retin A?

POST A REPLY
 
Thread Tools
Aug 2, 2012, 10:31am   #1
lenaofdc's Avatar
Thread Starter
lenaofdc
Member
I ask this because I'm currently using Airol from Greece and have had fantastic results with little to no side effects. It comes out like a cream but it's actually more of a thick mouse in texture - very light - it disappears on my skin within seconds and feels very, very dry - not oily like some other creams. It's yellow in color. This has prevented any breaking out or clogged/enlarged pores in my case.

Anyone else have a mouse like texture with their Retin A cream? Just trying to prepare for when my stash runs out here where I live in the US...

EDIT: from my research now it appears that what I have is the texture of a micro gel. And that would make sense since I am able to use it every day with nearly no irritation. Any insight from micro gel users?
Last edited Aug 2, 2012 at 11:03am.
Aug 2, 2012, 9:33pm   #2
PortlandKelly's Avatar
PortlandKelly
Member
I use Retin-A Micro Gel .04% and it is amazing. No irritation and the results are fantastic.

I used to use .1% and had tons of irritation, redness & peeling. I read a scientific paper where the results pointed to lower levels of retin-A being just as effective as higher levels. That reflects my experience because I used .1% for many years and then switched to .04% for even better results since I didn't have the irritation.
Aug 2, 2012, 10:40pm   #3
Cait's Avatar
Cait
only once you live
Stievamycin (Rx) 0.025%, gel.

My skin never acclimitized to it. My acne probably wasn't bad enough to be using it really; and my skin probably isn't mature enough to get much benefit at this point.

I found it very irritating.
Aug 3, 2012, 8:01am   #4
lenaofdc's Avatar
Thread Starter
lenaofdc
Member
Originally Posted by PortlandKelly
I use Retin-A Micro Gel .04% and it is amazing. No irritation and the results are fantastic.

I used to use .1% and had tons of irritation, redness & peeling. I read a scientific paper where the results pointed to lower levels of retin-A being just as effective as higher levels. That reflects my experience because I used .1% for many years and then switched to .04% for even better results since I didn't have the irritation.
That's so good to know! I read that it looks like a cream but goes on like a yellow gel or paste? I'm wondering if it's the same type of stuff I'm using now - the texture is very strange like it seperates when you rub it between your fingers. It's not a cream but it's not a gel. But it's made my Johnson & Johnson so maybe it's their european brand of micro. If I were home I'd take a picture. It's funny you say that about the 1% because I've read so many threads where people say the lower levels work better!
Aug 3, 2012, 8:18am   #5
lenaofdc's Avatar
Thread Starter
lenaofdc
Member
Originally Posted by Cait
Stievamycin (Rx) 0.025%, gel.

My skin never acclimitized to it. My acne probably wasn't bad enough to be using it really; and my skin probably isn't mature enough to get much benefit at this point.

I found it very irritating.
You should try the micro gel (different texture from regular gel from what I understand) or cream because from what I have read the regular gel can be extremely irritating, not a lot of people can handle it. My skin isn't mature either, I'm only 26, but like a lot of older 20 something's my skin suddenly became oily and I started breaking out after a lifetime of clear, matte skin. Drove me absolutely crazy. Also, I had damaged my skin tone and pores from using tanning beds. This has drastically improved my skin to how it was before and will prevent aging for the future....I hope you give it another try!
Aug 3, 2012, 11:05am   #6
Cait's Avatar
Cait
only once you live
Originally Posted by lenaofdc
You should try the micro gel (different texture from regular gel from what I understand) or cream because from what I have read the regular gel can be extremely irritating, not a lot of people can handle it. My skin isn't mature either, I'm only 26, but like a lot of older 20 something's my skin suddenly became oily and I started breaking out after a lifetime of clear, matte skin. Drove me absolutely crazy. Also, I had damaged my skin tone and pores from using tanning beds. This has drastically improved my skin to how it was before and will prevent aging for the future....I hope you give it another try!
Thank you! I definately would like to; I'm 25 but I've always struggled with some acne (moderate throughout my teens; mild now and controllable - still get the PMS whiteheads though :() and I'm looking for schtuff to keep aging at bay. Thanks again!

I've used Lactic acid, Avene Ystheal+, and the OTC AHA/BHA stuff, but nothing again - as strong as the Retin-A. If my skin has at least gotten used to those now, Retin-A might be another option (though I may go for the cream next time!)
Aug 3, 2012, 11:34pm   #7
PortlandKelly's Avatar
PortlandKelly
Member
Originally Posted by lenaofdc
I read that it looks like a cream but goes on like a yellow gel or paste?
I would describe it more as a gel/serum. It instantly blends into my skin and is easy to apply, which is important since you only use a small amount. I order the gel in a pump and use 2 pumps for my whole face. 2 pumps would equal a pea-size amount.
Aug 4, 2012, 10:17am   #8
e
ellaballet
Member
i use tazorac which is also a retinoid, its really creamy but not so much "mousse" like. i haven't found it to be oily at all. its done wonders for my acne (been on it for 5 years) and according to my derm its also fantastic for anti-aging
Aug 4, 2012, 6:17pm   #9
s
slang
Member
Originally Posted by PortlandKelly
I use Retin-A Micro Gel .04% and it is amazing. No irritation and the results are fantastic.

I used to use .1% and had tons of irritation, redness & peeling. I read a scientific paper where the results pointed to lower levels of retin-A being just as effective as higher levels. That reflects my experience because I used .1% for many years and then switched to .04% for even better results since I didn't have the irritation.
Wow, I never knew this - interesting...

I've been using Retin-A Micro Gel .04% for YEARS, I had peeling in the beginning but it was fine after a few months...I just needed to get a new prescription and my Dr. gave me .1% to try...I have no issues at all with the higher % but also haven't noticed any difference in my skin and it has been 3-4 months now...this would explain why I guess
Aug 7, 2012, 4:58pm   #10
emcosmo1639's Avatar
emcosmo1639
Member
I use tretinoin (generic Retin-A) at .05%...honestly, I haven't really noticed any differences with it, but then again I'm not very good about using it regularly. I've also never had any irritation or problems with it.
Aug 7, 2012, 8:24pm   #11
v
vhdos
Member
Refissa. It is sort of a creamy gel, which makes it rather difficult to apply evenly.
Aug 7, 2012, 8:49pm   #12
Aeris's Avatar
Aeris
Member
I use Ziana (which is a gel with Retin-A and Clindamycin). It's not irritating for me.
Aug 11, 2012, 12:32pm   #13
bipolarbear's Avatar
bipolarbear
Member
Higher strengths are definitely more irritating with little benefit. I actually have my tretinoin (retinA) compounded with hydroquinone so you get all the benefits from the obagi system and also have them add some kojic acid and aloe vera. It's an amazing combo for anti-aging and sun damage.

For any retinol I think it's all about gradually building up - start once a week and avoid the corners of your mouth and just under your nose (tops of the parentheses) and then work your way up as your skin gets more tolerant. You'll get the same benefits without the redness and peeling that makes so many people quit.
Aug 11, 2012, 3:09pm   #14
P
Pazdzernika
Member
Great thread - I was turned off to retional because I tried using Roc-A or whatever it's called and BROKE OUT like mad. I read that I was supposed to expect an "adjustment period" but it was too much for me to handle and I gave up on retinol completely. After reading your posts I guess I'll check out the low-dose ones. Are all of yours Rx or are there OTC brands you all recommend? Also a lot of spas have told me about Obagi but I never really paid attention to what they were telling me about it because I assumed they just wanted to product push - anyone with RL experience?
Aug 11, 2012, 5:30pm   #15
bipolarbear's Avatar
bipolarbear
Member
The obagi nuderm system actually doesn't have a retinol/tretinoin or retin-A included - you have to buy that separately. Obagi's main line is actually focused on pigment reduction using hydroquinone combined with exfoliation with phytic acid.

I'm personally not a fan of the line. It's very drying (I work in the Tahoe mountains, younger patients in humid environments may have less issues) and is a 6-7 step system which is more than most people like. If you then do a retinol/tretinoin, that's an extra step and expense. Although Obagi has brand recognition, it also has a lot of lousy ingredients (5 parabens and PEG in almost every step).

That being said, tretinoin works, and hydroquinone works. You might want to see if you can find an MD to prescribe these through a compounding pharmacy though - it will cost you less for less steps and less toxic ingredients. Understand that many MD's may not want to do it that way - they've paid for the product to sell, and although their profit on Obagi isn't that significant, there's little or none on writing a prescription for you to take to a pharmacy. You'll have better luck if you find a derm/cosmetic MD (look for someone who does a lot of lasers) who doesn't already carry Obagi than if you find one who's wedded to selling the system.

Good luck!
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >  
TOP

Thread Tools