Home Beauty & Makeup The Beauty Bar

La Mer...Miracle cream or way overrated?

POST A REPLY

Jan 19, 2009, 5:06pm   #46
loving H...
to me personally it's a miracle cream....especially when i was living in montreal for 4 years (i just moved back to UK last august). when nothing else worked to beat the dryness on my face during harsh montreal winters, only la mer saved my skin. it provides instant and lasting relief of pain to the skin of my face.

i've tried various face moisturizers from dr.hauschka, sisley, elizabeth arden, clarins (various different creams/lotions), and clinique to combat my winter skin dryness and none of them helped.

now i use la mer cream in the winter months and the moisturizing lotion during the warmer months.
Last edited Jan 19, 2009 at 5:09pm.
Jan 19, 2009, 5:29pm   #47
Soap Maker
I like it, I use La Mer and Liz Earle, like them both!!
Jan 19, 2009, 7:34pm   #48
Bag Lovah
I LOVE La Mer. I think it's fantastic. I use the cream, the eye cream, the body lotion and the hand cream. It is a tad too heavy in the summer months for me though. I only use it three times a week in the summer.
Jan 20, 2009, 4:23am   #49
its quite a heavy cream as everyone says, i'm thinking of getting the gel when i finish my jar but one thing that really bothers me, i only put it on at night after my shower and it seems like it never absorbs?? i think my pillow cases are saturated with la mer!
Jan 21, 2009, 1:45am   #50
&
I used to love La Mer... Now I am in love with Natura Bisse Diamond Cream.
Jan 21, 2009, 2:23am   #51
l
<3
Not sure if this has been said, but apparently the Nivea Cream in the dark blue tin has almost identical ingredients to La Mer (I found out about this from the gals at makeupalley.com). I'm pretty sure the Nivea Cream is missing like one ingredient that La Mer has, and it's nothing important. Best part is the Nivea Cream is approximately $0.99 at Walgreens! Might be something to check out if you want to try the La Mer cream, but don't have the money because it's definitely on the pricey side. I really love the Nivea stuff and seems very very similar to La Mer, the only difference I can notice is the fragrance.
Feb 3, 2009, 11:55am   #52
Doesnt LM have mineral oil in it??? Ewe.
Feb 3, 2009, 12:36pm   #53
I found La Mer to be just okay. Not dazzling. Certainly not worth the price tag. I think it is great as a barrier cream if you're in an extremely cold or harsh climate, or have very sensitive skin. I finished out my last jar using it on my chapped lips. Worked well for that, I must say.

I think the popularity of La Mer with celebrities has more to do with the product's price and exclusivity. One thing I dislike is that the ingredients list is so impossible to obtain. I'm leery of putting something on my face that won't tell me what it contains! I've heard the mineral oil rumors and I believe them to be true.

I've also heard the comparisons between it and dark blue tin "Made in Germany" Nivea. I found them to be nearly identical, btw. So it is kind of interesting to note that while Nivea is also a great "barrier" cream, but it doesn't absorb beyond the initial surface layer of your skin, and therefore doesn't actually hydrate your face. Your surface layer will feel great, but underneath, your skin is thirsty. I think this has to do with the mineral oil content.

I did like the serum, but their cleansers burned my skin and eyes. I had to give them to my husband! I had a sample of the foundation, but it was just too heavy for me. I prefer mineral foundation or a tinted moisturizer.
Last edited Feb 3, 2009 at 12:42pm.
Feb 3, 2009, 1:07pm   #54
In Love
la mer was formulated by a physicist that wanted something to heal his chemical burns. that's why it works wonders on my roscea. it dramatically helps to improve the redness on my cheeks.

due to it's thickness i only use it during the winter.

oh & btw- once my makeup is applied i dab very little under my eyes and i look refreshed and hydrated.
Last edited Feb 3, 2009 at 1:10pm.
Feb 3, 2009, 2:31pm   #55
Lovin' Life!
Very overrated and contains some ingredients that are irritants to the skin.

From http://15minbeauty.blogspot.com/2008...son-to-la.html

Creme de la Mer
• Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum): emollient
• Petrolatum: occlusive (Petroleum jelly – associated with health risks, including breast cancer http://www.health-report.co.uk/petroleum_petrolatum_health_concerns.htm)
• Glycerin: humectant
• Isohexadecane: thickening agent and emulsifier
• Microcrystalline Wax (Cera Microcristallina): commonly used thickening agent
• Lanolin Alcohol: emollient, very closely resembles your skin's natural oils
Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil: emolllient, can be irritating to those with very sensitive skin
• Magnesium Sulfate
• Paraffin: occlusive
• Decyl Oleate: emollient
• Aluminum Distearate: emulsifier
• Octyldodecanol: emulsifier with emollient properties
• Citric Acid: used to adjust the pH
• Magnesium Stearate: thickening agent
• Panthenol: humectant
6 Fragrances are listed individually here
• Methylchloroisothiazolinone: preservative
• Methylisothiazolinone: preservative
Alcohol Denat: Denaturized alcohol (toxic ethanol, used in camp stoves. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol)
Fragrance (known to be an irritant for some skin)
Feb 3, 2009, 3:16pm   #56
Hunting
I love it! From foundation to eye concentrate it works for me.
Feb 3, 2009, 7:29pm   #57
drive LV
La mer cream uses mineral . The gel does not and is great.
Feb 4, 2009, 12:58am   #58
♡ Obsessed
^^ I have confirmed this last year, the Gel creme does NOT contain mineral oil!
Feb 4, 2009, 9:15am   #59
I like the gel creme
Feb 4, 2009, 12:50pm   #60
steph
My sister swears by Creme de la Mer. It is the only moisturizer that has dramatically hydrated and revitalized her uber-dry skin. I have combination skin, so I use the Gel Creme. I like it, but I don't see it as a miracle product.
POST A REPLY
  HOME Beauty & Makeup The Beauty Bar