POST A REPLY

Jul 18, 2010, 4:20pm   #1
Hi, all. I am sure I am not the only one to have this. When flat ironing my hair, every once in a while my hand touches the iron by accident or if its a curling iron and I drop it by accident, I get burned....and my flat iron goes up to 450 degrees....the burns really hurt and sting. Some of them take like a month to go away, I think. One time I was flat ironing my hair and I burned my neck really badly with my Sedu flat iron. I was just wondering if there was any regular product out that will take the sting out of the burns. (I just burned my finger very badly.) I do not burn myself often with heat tools, but when I do, it really hurts, and leaves a burn mark. Does Vaseline work? (I only thought Vaseline might work because I know that it works for a lot of different things.) Does anyone have any suggestions for even regular burn creams or something? Thanks, a bunch.
Jul 18, 2010, 5:04pm   #2
<3
DO NOT use vaseline on a burn. It smothers the burn and does not allow it to heal properly. The very best thing on the market for a burn is silvadine. I am not sure if you can get it over the counter, but there is something similar sold over the counter at most drugstores called silver sulfate maybe? Ask your pharmacist.
Jul 19, 2010, 1:15am   #3
I
As soon as you burn yourself, run it under cold water/use ice. It stops the burn from doing any further damage. This coming from one of the nation's top burn doctors... I've hurt myself on more than one occasion!
Jul 19, 2010, 1:24am   #4
I think it's better to immerse a burn in cold water rather than running it under the water because it can be a tad more irritating. :)
Jul 19, 2010, 1:47am   #5
Handbag Junkie
Hmm. I heard ice is damaging, so I would just run it under cold water...
I heard running it under cold water is best...And maybe use solarcaine or some kind of spray made for a burn which might have antibacterial properties...I usually use neosporin on my burns and cuts, as it helps with scar prevention and infection conrol, but it is much like vaseline, so use your own judgement...

http://www.dermoplast.com/
Jul 19, 2010, 2:44am   #6
You can get special heat resistant gloves if your hands are really that prone to burning. Also, if you're getting your skin, I'm guessing you are trying to get those little baby hairs... perhaps a narrower iron would be a good choice. You might also consider a styling lesson at your salon where a stylist can show you how to use an iron more carefully.
Jul 19, 2010, 8:52am   #7
It sounds like you are burning yourself frequently which shouldn't be happening. Maybe try a lower temperature or a different style or size flat iron. I have really long hair but use a 1" iron and don't have many issues, though I have dropped the iron before and grabbed it trying to catch it... ouch!
Jul 19, 2010, 8:59am   #8
Dismembered
Oh yes. This happened twice to me. Both in the first month of using them. On the top of me ear (ouch!) and on the left side of my forehead. The ear one hurt SO BAD for two weeks... Both gone now without any damage :) Mine goes to 210°C.

As to you, you really should work on your technique if it's frequent... And DON'T USE VASELINE. It forms an impermeable layer, and suffocates the skin...
Jul 19, 2010, 10:41am   #9
62 is the new 40 LOL
I use the neosporin pain relief ointment on all burns, cuts, blisters etc. It really works.
Jul 20, 2010, 3:31am   #10
I
Originally Posted by blue*poppy
Hmm. I heard ice is damaging, so I would just run it under cold water...
Ice is great for those places that you can't run under or submerse in cold water, like an ear or the forehead :)
Jul 21, 2010, 11:31am   #11
One time when I was useing my GHD, I set it down to get another section of hair and instead of picking it up my the handle I grabed the hot part! It hurt SOOO bad I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital lol (I didnt). I ran it under cold water and then just tryed to leave that area alone (I got a few tiny blisteres, but it hurt bad for about a week). It healed fine though...
Jul 22, 2010, 5:07am   #12
g
I burned my wrist in november 2009 with my chi flat iron and the scar is still there. Usually I would soak the burn in ice water, that feels best on the burn and the tempurature is somewhat more consistent.
As for the scar, I don't know how to get rid of it.. Hopefully it will disappear over time.
Jul 22, 2010, 8:13pm   #13
tPF addict
Originally Posted by PrettyInPink
DO NOT use vaseline on a burn. It smothers the burn and does not allow it to heal properly.
This is completely wrong. In order for epithelial cells to migrate (for wound healing), they need three things:

1. a hypoxic (low oxygen) environment
2. a moist framework for migration
3. lack of friction

What's the best way to treat a wound? Keep the wound covered (to minimize friction and provide a hypoxic environment) and use ointment (vaseline or antibiotic ointment, to provide moisture).

This doesn't just apply to burns, but to all epidermal/dermal wounds.
POST A REPLY
  HOME Beauty & Makeup The Beauty Bar