Home > >

Allergic Reaction to Oil of Olay Moisturizer... HELP!!

POST A REPLY

Feb 19, 2011, 1:54pm   #1
cecille therese
Chic Mama of Two
Hi there... Not sure if I'm putting this in the right place, so Mods feel free to move if necessary.

I bought Oil of Olay Hydrating Fluid the other day, in lieu of my normal moisturizer which was out of stock. What a big mistake that was! I used it 2 or 3 times and my face broke out in a huge way. I'm talking big red blemishes all over my cheeks and an itchy rash all over my face. I've always had really good skin - never had any bad reactions like this before so this is all new to me. What should I do? I hate to go to the doctor only for him to tell me that it will pass in a few days. Has this happened to any of you? Is there anything I can do to help the allergic reaction pass sooner? I mean, my face is so bad I don't even want to leave the house! I should have known better than to try something new, when my regular moisturizer works just fine. I should have just waited for it to come back in stock. Help me! Please!
Feb 19, 2011, 1:58pm   #2
PrettyInPink
<3
My skin is very, very sensitive. So, when I use new products... many times, I have things like this happen to me. The most important thing is to be as GENTLE AS POSSIBLE with your skin right now, until it clears up. I know you may want to zap the zits on your cheeks... but, I assure you it will only irritate your skin more. Use a cleanser that is calming (a good one is Cetaphil) and same with the moisturizer. And, try to avoid wearing makeup as much as possible on the rash. [I know that's easier said than done!!] You can also use a little bit of hydrocortisone cream on the rash to prevent itching (but, never more than 2 days in a row as hydrocortisone cream thins out the skin.)
Feb 19, 2011, 2:15pm   #3
Fishfood
Still Abby Fabby!!
Take. Benadryl. Now.

The liquid form, even if you have to buy the childrens formula and double up, is faster and will definitely help with that rash if it's an allergic reaction. GL!
Feb 19, 2011, 3:19pm   #4
cecille therese
Chic Mama of Two
Thank you both for your fast replies!!

I originally use Aveeno's Calming moisturizer. Do you think it would be safe to use it while my face is a wreck? Thanks for the tip about the benadryl! I took some the first day, but it was the last of my kids'... I just sent DH out to get some more. How long can I expect this horrible reaction to last?
Feb 19, 2011, 3:27pm   #5
n
nataliam1976
Account Deactivated
Do not use anything on your skin until your face calms down, just take anti-histamines and wait it out. I had the same thing happen and putting another moistuiriser even though it was hypo-allergenic made things worse:-(.
Feb 19, 2011, 3:41pm   #6
cecille therese
Chic Mama of Two
Not even my facewash? I use Purpose from Tar-jay. It's very mild. Or should I just rinse with water? How long did your allergic reaction last?
Feb 19, 2011, 4:31pm   #7
w
wild flower
I can't use the stuff, breaks me out and the smell of it bothers me!
Feb 19, 2011, 5:33pm   #8
Cornflower Blue
I haven't any advice about what to do about your adverse reaction I'm afraid, but want you to know that I too had a horrendous reaction about 30 years ago when I was still at school to this stuff. In the UK it was then known as Oil of Ulay Beautifying Fluid (I think) and it was the first moisturiser I ever used. It actually burnt me and I remember going to school with a bright red face - it faded by itself eventually. I've never had such a bad reaction to anything else since and it makes me wonder what exactly is in it that can cause such a reaction in certain people?

Hope your face recovers soon.
Feb 19, 2011, 7:30pm   #9
lookatme
same thing happened to me when I used one of the olay moisturizers. it had spf in it and my dermatologist thought that's what I might be allergic to.
Feb 19, 2011, 8:52pm   #10
bunnymasseuse
BunniesN'DaSun
I second/third the Benedryl.

Get gentle cleanser (cetaphil or Cera-ve), and gentle moisturizer (cera-ve).

My suggest for SEVERE aggravated skin is the First Aid Beauty line items, I've used them when my face has become over sensitized.

Suggestions:
http://sephora.com/browse/product.jh...egoryId=C23560
http://sephora.com/browse/product.jh...ategoryId=5972
Feb 19, 2011, 9:31pm   #11
pmburk
I agree with the Benadryl suggestion. I would also try a little bit of hydrocortisone cream on your face. Apply a thin layer and avoid the eye area, and don't use it more than once a day. Otherwise I would not try any other products which could aggravate your skin more.
Feb 19, 2011, 9:55pm   #12
qudz104
sorry i didnt see this thread earlier, but the advice given was totally correct, benadryl is the best thing to use, esp the liquid kind. i would stay away from doing anything to my face if i had an allergic reaction. you can use a 0.5% hydrocortisone cream or a benadryl cream on your face to reduce swelling, but avoid the eye area and any open areas (nose, ear etc) and try to use the hydrocortisone in as little a quantity as possible for as short of a duration as possible, def not more then a week. i believe eucerin has a face cream for redness relief that you can try, although thats more for roseacea.

i too had a weird reaction to oil of olay, and to ponds cold cream, so i avoid those two like the plague. hope you get better soon!
Feb 19, 2011, 11:56pm   #13
cecille therese
Chic Mama of Two
Thank you all, so much, for your help! After taking a couple of doses of benadryl, the redness and itching seems to have subsided a bit. I did apply a bit of hydrocortisone which seemed to help. I just hope my skin goes back to normal sooner rather than later. Seriously, though, thank you all!
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >