Home The Playground Television and Cinema

Ray Donovan - Showtime - June 30

POST A REPLY

May 10, 2013, 11:02pm   #1
So Sweet!
I just saw the clip for the show and it looks like it's going to be really good. It has Liev Shieber and Angelina Jolie's dad in it.

The theme is kinda gangsta style but that's as far as I can tell.
May 11, 2013, 1:11am   #2
yes, I saw this preview. Looks like it's going to be really good! I will be checking this out as well.
Jul 1, 2013, 12:19pm   #3
Did anyone watch this last night? I thought it was good. Looks like it has promise.
Jul 1, 2013, 12:39pm   #4
My baby, Bellis
I have it on Tivo to watch tonight. Love Liev Schreiber.
Jul 1, 2013, 1:06pm   #5
I tried to watch it, but it didn't grab me. Love Liev, but the show itself was a bit hoaky. I have a hard time getting invested in the woes and shenanigans of hollywood types. it's like they took Entourage, made it more gory and tried it give it soul-torturing gravitas. It takes itself too seriously, yet the subject matter/premise is frivolous.
Jul 1, 2013, 1:07pm   #6
So Sweet!
There is already a thread:
http://forum.purseblog.com/televisio...-a-817740.html
Jul 1, 2013, 1:07pm   #7
So Sweet!
bump.
Jul 1, 2013, 1:55pm   #8
Have it recorded but didn't stay up to watch! Can anyone recommend it? :)
Jul 1, 2013, 1:59pm   #9
Originally Posted by Decophile
I tried to watch it, but it didn't grab me. Love Liev, but the show itself was a bit hoaky. I have a hard time getting invested in the woes and shenanigans of hollywood types. it's like they took Entourage, made it more gory and tried it give it soul-torturing gravitas. It takes itself too seriously, yet the subject matter/premise is frivolous.
Good observation. To me it's a cross between Entourage and the Sopranos. We've got Liev as Tony, and his dad as Uncle Junior plopped down in the middle of the bad boys of Entourage. I didn't see much new to hold my attention.
Jul 1, 2013, 2:08pm   #10
I liked it. It has been compared to Entourage but I never watched that to give an honest comparison. But it does seem like it's going to be a good show....
Jul 2, 2013, 1:04pm   #11
My baby, Bellis
I really liked the first episode. I will definitely be watching.
Jul 2, 2013, 5:14pm   #12
I'm so pumped I was looking for the 2d ep on demand but then I thought duh!
Jul 2, 2013, 11:03pm   #13
The jury is still out with me on this one. I love Liev and think he is great in everything he is in. However, a couple things didn't sit quite well. One I was born and raised in the Boston area, though I have been living in the south for 12 years. And those Boston accents are just BAD!!! The wife is so over the top with hers. Liev is more subtle but still not there, but I would rather have subtle than over the top....honestly I cannot even understand what his wife is saying and I just got back from Boston 2 days earlier. I don't know what it is but actors just cannot get this right. The only time I have ever seen anyone authentic except Ben and Matt is the actress who played the Mom of the girl who was missing in Gone Baby Gone. And I heard she is not from there but she got it dead on

That aside....I did not get the creepy music at the end when the daughter was hugging his Dad. He has indicated that his father is bad but it sounded like Godfather music. It is just didn't warrant that just yet as we really do not know what he is about. Yeah he killed a priest but it sounds like the priest molested one of the sons? And why on earth would the wife allow the father in when Ray made him sound like Satan himself. Did not get it. And the Brittany Spears actress....all of a sudden she is stalking Ray? And who is stalking her? I thought it was the guy who hired Ray but then it turns out to be the green guy....I am lost.

Because I love Liev I will give it 3 episodes and see how I feel then. I think my issue is mainly the wife. Wish they had someone different cast as she does not resonate with me.
Jul 11, 2013, 10:28am   #14
Traveling...
I loved the first episode so this show has made my DVR list.
Jul 11, 2013, 10:32am   #15
I have not watched the second yet...anyone have thoughts on how this is progressing with episode 2?
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Television and Cinema