Home > >

LIVE! with Kelly Ripa

POST A REPLY

Jan 18, 2011, 10:33am   #1
iluvmybags
& My Motos & Shoes!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110118/...regis_retiring

Regis Philbin says he's retiring from his show

NEW YORK – For such a famously excitable guy, Regis Philbin made his big announcement with surprising calm: He's retiring from his show.

Philbin delivered the news at the start of Tuesday morning's "Live With Regis and Kelly," which he has hosted for more than a quarter-century, most recently sharing hosting duties with Kelly Ripa.

He said he would be stepping down from the show around the end of the summer, though he didn't specify a departure date.

"I don't want to alarm anybody," he began, then said, "This will be my last year on the show."

His brief remarks came during the show's off-the-cuff "host chat," after he and Ripa had batted the breeze about the Golden Globes, football and the icy weather outside.

"It's been a long time, it's been 28 years," Philbin said reflectively, speaking of his current Manhattan-based show. "It was the biggest thrill of my life to come back to New York, where I grew up as a kid watching TV in the early days, you know, never even dreaming that I would one day have the ability, or whatever it takes, to get in front of the camera and talk to it. ...

"There is a time that everything must come to an end for certain people on camera — especially certain old people!" cracked Philbin, who turns 80 in August.
"I wish I could do something to make you change your mind," said Ripa.

"Now waaait a minute," Philbin said slyly.

The show's distributors, Disney-ABC Domestic Television, said in a statement the "Live" franchise will continue, adding that a new co-host will be named to join Ripa, who marks 10 years with the show next month.

But Philbin, referring to his time left on the show, assured viewers, "We'll have a lot of fun between now and then."

Philbin's leave-taking will happen not long after another giant of daytime TV, Oprah Winfrey, ends her syndicated show to concentrate on her new cable network. A Philbin contemporary in the broadcasting world, 77-year-old Larry King, retired from his prime-time CNN talk show last month. His successor, Piers Morgan, debuted Monday.
Since the 1950s, Philbin has been a TV fixture, though for years he worked mostly for local stations.

In 1967, he won national exposure as the announcer and sidekick on comic Joey Bishop's short-lived ABC late-night show.

Later on, Philbin became a star in local morning television — first in Los Angeles, then, in 1983, in New York. In 1985, he teamed with Kathie Lee Johnson, a year before she married former football star Frank Gifford, and their show went into national syndication in 1988.

Philbin clicked with daytime audiences as a common man who loved to sound off about familiar frustrations, even as he lived a life rubbing elbows with fellow celebrities.
Gifford left the show in 2000. After a tryout period for a replacement, soap star Ripa ("All My Children") filled the slot.

One of daytime syndication's most enduring hits, "Live With Regis and Kelly" was seen by an average of 4 million viewers according to a recent Nielsen Co. report.
Typically the show airs live from its Manhattan studio at 9 a.m. Eastern time, though it is broadcast by some stations later in the day.

A decade ago, Philbin conquered prime time as host of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire," which became a ratings phenomenon for ABC.

A three-time Emmy Award winner, Philbin was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences at the Daytime Emmy Awards in 2008.
Jan 18, 2011, 10:36am   #2
iluvmybags
& My Motos & Shoes!
I would love to see Mark Consuelos join Kelly as the co-host -- I always love it when he fills in for an absent Regis!! - but I have a feeling they're gonna go with someone else, another comedienne perhaps
Jan 18, 2011, 10:37am   #3
Daydrmer
My Grandma is going to be so sad...
Jan 18, 2011, 11:41am   #4
bag-mania
Hope he enjoys his retirement. He has been the Energizer bunny of daytime TV. He just kept going!
Jan 18, 2011, 12:08pm   #5
Cheryl24
Nooooooo! This makes me sad...

I can't believe he will be 80 this year!
Jan 18, 2011, 1:38pm   #6
LH405
Banned and Bad!
Wow! I will miss the Reeg!
Jan 18, 2011, 1:57pm   #7
DC-Cutie
I hope Mark doesn't join. if he did, I fear the show would turn into a Consuelos/Ripa Family hour - talking about their kids and family life..
Jan 18, 2011, 2:02pm   #8
a
aklein
Regis needs to retire. He's been a bit out of it for some time now. I hope he enjoys his retirement.
Jan 18, 2011, 2:03pm   #9
B
BadRomance93
Hi
Originally Posted by DC-Cutie
I hope Mark doesn't join. if he did, I fear the show would turn into a Consuelos/Ripa Family hour - talking about their kids and family life..
Kelly already does that for 28 minutes of air-time per day anyway, so I wouldn't notice a change.
Jan 18, 2011, 2:11pm   #10
LH405
Banned and Bad!
^^No kidding, Mark and her would get old real fast. I like when she teamed up with Anderson Cooper but he has his other shows on CNN and personally I am burnt out on him.
Jan 18, 2011, 2:13pm   #11
la miss
parigote
Aww I don't watch his show but he seems like such a fun guy. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.
Jan 18, 2011, 2:37pm   #12
iluvmybags
& My Motos & Shoes!
Jeff Probst would be a good choice -- he surprised me at how good he was at that! But doubt that his SURVIVOR schedule would allow for him to do LIVE! on a daily basis.

I've just always liked Kelly & Mark and think they make a cute couple. When he co-hosts with her, I like their energy and how they finish each other's sentences. I know it might be a bit too "syrupy" for some people (esp on a daily basis), but seeing so many couples split up, going on to say nasty things about one another, I think it's refreshing to see a Hollywood couple (altho they live in NY!) who are still in love and actually LIKE each other after all these years!!
Jan 18, 2011, 2:44pm   #13
ILuvShopping
★☆★★☆★★☆★
it's about time!! (i don't mean that negatively but i'm sure the guy would like to retire lol)
i was wondering how much longer he would stay.
Jan 18, 2011, 2:51pm   #14
tmc089
Noooo! I love my Regis! Everytime I watch Live in the morning I talk back to him and Kelly like I'm right there in the room having a conversation with them lol. Bummer!
Jan 18, 2011, 3:01pm   #15
B
BudgetBeauty
The Huxtables
Kelly has had great chemistry with her husband, Anderson Cooper, and Howie Mandel. Of the four, I think Howie would be a better fit. I doubt Anderson would be able to commit to the schedule given his regular work with CNN, and a Mark/Kelly show would get annoying very quickly. Howie tends to do very well when he interacts with audiences and guests.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >