POST A REPLY

Aug 30, 2011, 4:38pm   #1
Can't find a thread on this show. I wonder if it's because no one saw the first season or because people didn't like it. I really enjoy it and discovered it through Netflix. I will be watching season 2 in January. Any one watch the first season?
Aug 30, 2011, 4:39pm   #2
25 pounds down!
I watched season 1 on Netflix in one day! Can't wait for season 2 to air.
Aug 30, 2011, 7:47pm   #3
So Sweet!
I could have sworn I had a thread on this already, but guess not. Yep, me too. I can't wait until the premiere of the new episodes.

If you go to the Wiki, I assume on the British version, they had more episodes.

I love PBS, BBC, Masterpiece Theater, I believe they do quality shows.

I just wish there were more episodes per season. If Bravo produced stuff like this, I would watch them all the time.
Aug 31, 2011, 6:15am   #4
I saw it also on Netflix. I enjoyed it. Didn't realize that 2nd season was in Jan 2012. Good to know!!
Aug 31, 2011, 7:42am   #5
African violet
I caught it earlier this year after it had already aired. So, I watched all the episodes on the PBS site, and I really liked it. Typically, I'm not big on British "class warfare" movies or television (though I kind of liked Gosford Park), but I really did enjoy Downton Abbey!

I admit not understanding much about the intricacies of lineage and how it's determined that titles/power get passed on or remain in a family, but the acting in this show is top notch (so I've decided not to worry about the minutiae of Why Matthew?, for example). So: The Dowager Countess is funny! And I'm really not a fan of Edith; her issues with Mary seem to stem from a lot of envy on her part.
Aug 31, 2011, 7:59am   #6
b
I LOVED it, but missed the last 2 episodes (doh) ! Wonder where I could 'find' them
Aug 31, 2011, 8:27am   #7
African violet
Originally Posted by brigadeiro
I LOVED it, but missed the last 2 episodes (doh) ! Wonder where I could 'find' them
PBS says that they'll rerun season one on December 18. But others have also said that it's on Netflix (which I've just added to my queue), and you can watch it as Instant Play, which is even better.

I just need to finish my rewatch of Mad Men then I can dive back into Downton Abbey...hopefully all before January arrives.
Aug 31, 2011, 1:21pm   #8
They have the first season reruns on PBS already. You can also watch it on Netflix. I love PBS. I wish they would show more shows like this. I remember when The Forsyte Saga was on. I made sure not to miss an episode. I would watch that again if they aired it.
Aug 31, 2011, 4:19pm   #9
So Sweet!
Originally Posted by brigadeiro
search Pbs.org for a local station or Masterpiece Theatre website. They have been reairing them. or some streaming websites.
Sep 20, 2011, 3:38pm   #10
So Sweet!
So, it's started over in Britain. Thank goodness PBS doesn't have commercials (not real ones)

Quote:
It was an irritation which would have been entirely alien to the wartime inhabitants of Downton Abbey.
Many 21st-century viewers, however, said the much-anticipated return of ITV1’s flagship period drama was ruined by the colossal number of advert breaks.

They were left furious after the commercial broadcaster crammed a quarter of the programme’s 90-minute slot with advertising and cross-promotion.

Prize-winners: Cast members Elizabeth McGovern, Joanne Froggatt and Michelle Dockery at the Emmys on Sunday
ITV had promised audiences ‘bumper’ extended episodes of the Sunday night show, which stars Dame Maggie Smith and Hugh Bonneville and added to its list of awards this weekend by winning four Emmys, including best mini-series.
But in the first programme alone there were 23 minutes of promotion with only 67 minutes of the drama – that’s one minute of adverts for every three of Downton Abbey.

More...Best of British! Downton Abbey's ladies celebrate as its popularity across the ocean is cemented with a big win at the Emmys
Emmy Awards 2011: Lea Michele joins the red hot ladies in the night's bold colour of choice
The Downton Abbey effect: Boom in period-inspired holidays as Britons look to recreate Downton lifestyle

Media regulator Ofcom said there was also a complaint about the suitability of the advertising, with sponsor Aviva promoting life insurance while Downton depicted scenes of soldiers dying in the First World War trenches.
ITV had effectively sidestepped strict rules limiting advertising to 12 minutes an hour by including ‘sponsorship’ and promotion of other shows in each break. These cross-promotions are not included in the official tally.
There were also several minutes of adverts and promotion before and after the show. It is estimated a 30-second advertising slot during the show would have been sold for as much as 100,000.
A peak of nine million watched Downton return for its second series – almost double the audience for BBC1’s rival drama Spooks.

But ITV’s victory was bittersweet as viewers took to internet messageboards to complain about the level of advertising.

The channel admitted yesterday it had also received complaints directly and Ofcom said it had received one formal complaint about the level of advertising.

One viewer said online: ‘Loved the first programme but I was angry at all the flaming adverts which told their own story.’

Another said: ‘I was just getting into it and another break. That shouldn’t be allowed.’

ITV can show an average of eight minutes of advertising per hour from 6pm to 11pm. The channel is allowed a maximum of 12 minutes per clock hour during that period, but must still hit the average.
On Sunday there were five ‘centre-breaks’ between the beginning and end of Downton. These lasted a maximum of four minutes and ten seconds and featured up to ten adverts for companies such as John Lewis, Tesco, Ford, Boots, Waitrose and Talk Talk.
On top of that ITV added promotions for its own shows, including Doc Martin and DCI Banks.
ITV said: ‘We followed the same pattern as other 90-minute dramas. We are a commercial broadcaster.’

Viewers also accused Downton Abbey, written by Julian Fellowes, of historical inaccuracy after a character used the phrase ‘As if’. They claimed the phrase used by Mrs Bates was ‘jarring’.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...#ixzz1YWkGKg2I
Jan 8, 2012, 12:04pm   #11
Season 2 begins airing tonight!
Jan 8, 2012, 12:14pm   #12
African violet
Can't wait! I'm watching season one on Netflix now.
Jan 8, 2012, 1:06pm   #13
I'm DYING in anticipation for tonight. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this show. and I know I could have watched season 2 earlier via the internet but I really wanted to wait and get the full television experience.

Jan 8, 2012, 1:23pm   #14
African violet
Same here. I was so tempted to find streaming episodes, but I had to smack my hand. Also, I just realized that the actor who played the Duke in the first episode is the same actor who plays Owen Sleater on Boardwalk Empire! Nice dimples, that one.
Jan 8, 2012, 2:39pm   #15
25 pounds down!
The theme song has been stuck in my head all week!
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Television and Cinema