Home Premier Designers Proenza Schouler

strong smell on ps11

POST A REPLY

May 31, 2012, 5:29pm   #1
hello. it's me again from this thread.
http://forum.purseblog.com/proenza-s...ed-752540.html
so the ps11 arrived and it's gorgeous, but it has a really strong smell, not the pleasant smell of my ps1, but something stronger, less pleasant leathery smell....... has anyone else had this experience? In terms of the markings on the leather i mentioned in the other thread, i think it's just me getting used to the more textured leather than my ps11.

apologies for the not so great smartphone photo.

thanks for your thoughts.
Attached Images

May 31, 2012, 7:34pm   #2
I had nothing but expensive leather smell with my PS11. But I do remember years ago having an almost basement smell on a MJ Stam I got from a MJ boutique. It went away after a couple days. I left the tags on just in case the smell wasn't going to go away. So maybe let it have air for a few days? It looks good from the photo (I don't see any markings).
Jun 1, 2012, 2:05pm   #3
Had the same problem with other bags ( not a PS bag) and I just aired it out for a couple of days. I hanged the bag in the living room and opened the bag so the smell from the inside would also disappear.
Jun 2, 2012, 9:47pm   #4
Originally Posted by owen spunkmeyer
hello. it's me again from this thread.
http://forum.purseblog.com/proenza-s...ed-752540.html
so the ps11 arrived and it's gorgeous, but it has a really strong smell, not the pleasant smell of my ps1, but something stronger, less pleasant leathery smell....... has anyone else had this experience? In terms of the markings on the leather i mentioned in the other thread, i think it's just me getting used to the more textured leather than my ps11.

apologies for the not so great smartphone photo.

thanks for your thoughts.

I know exactly what you mean! I had the same problem with my black textured PS11.
I already owned the saddle PS11 and that didn't have a strong smell when it came home, so I contacted both NET-A-PORTER (where I bought it) and Proenza Schouler and asked why the strong smell and also for clarification of the leather type used in the bag.
PS didn't bother replying but NAP advised it was definitely calf ( I was afraid it was pigskin because the smell was so strong!) and just a result of the dyeing process
That was a few months ago now and the smell is less evident but it still smells different from my saddle PS11.
Jun 3, 2012, 2:34pm   #5
Originally Posted by alyra
I had nothing but expensive leather smell with my PS11. But I do remember years ago having an almost basement smell on a MJ Stam I got from a MJ boutique. It went away after a couple days. I left the tags on just in case the smell wasn't going to go away. So maybe let it have air for a few days? It looks good from the photo (I don't see any markings).
Originally Posted by Paris20
Had the same problem with other bags ( not a PS bag) and I just aired it out for a couple of days. I hanged the bag in the living room and opened the bag so the smell from the inside would also disappear.
thanks for the input. yes. i think ill try letting it air out for a couple days and see if it subsides. i still have a bit of time to decide if i want to keep it.

Originally Posted by Straight-Laced
I know exactly what you mean! I had the same problem with my black textured PS11.
I already owned the saddle PS11 and that didn't have a strong smell when it came home, so I contacted both NET-A-PORTER (where I bought it) and Proenza Schouler and asked why the strong smell and also for clarification of the leather type used in the bag.
PS didn't bother replying but NAP advised it was definitely calf ( I was afraid it was pigskin because the smell was so strong!) and just a result of the dyeing process
That was a few months ago now and the smell is less evident but it still smells different from my saddle PS11.
weird, right? i wonder if i should email the corner and ask. but i guess ill try the airing out. i like the leather smell of my ps1 but the smell on this is just not good..... hopefully itll go away as the bag is beautiful and i got a good deal on it.
Jun 3, 2012, 8:33pm   #6
i figured out what the smell reminds me of. a fishy smell!! gross. trying the airing out method now.

Originally Posted by Paris20
Jun 3, 2012, 8:37pm   #7
now that i pinpointed the smell as reminding me of fish, i did a search and there's a good number of posts in the purseforum about people having a similar issue with other bags/leather items.... hmmm.
Jun 3, 2012, 10:03pm   #8
I know, the smell is bad!
To be honest if I hadn't ripped off the tags and taken my black PS11 out as soon as I got it, I may well have returned it because of the smell. Because I'd already road tested my saddle PS11 (& loved it!) & I was running out the door when my black PS11 arrived I took tags off right away and used it before I noticed that it smelled weird
Anyway, it IS better now than it was brand new. Still a way to go though
Jun 3, 2012, 11:20pm   #9
I feel so lucky I got one (also from NAP) that smells good. Does anyone have any clue what the fish smell is from on the other boards?
Jun 5, 2012, 12:58pm   #10
JGM ♥ PMG
I wonder (if you decide to keep it) if you put a packet of baking soda in a box with the bag also inside if that would help?
Jun 6, 2012, 11:40pm   #11
I know, the smell is bad!
To be honest if I hadn't ripped off the tags and taken my black PS11 out as soon as I got it, I may well have returned it because of the smell. Because I'd already road tested my saddle PS11 (& loved it!) & I was running out the door when my black PS11 arrived I took tags off right away and used it before I noticed that it smelled weird
Anyway, it IS better now than it was brand new. Still a way to go though
I feel so lucky I got one (also from NAP) that smells good. Does anyone have any clue what the fish smell is from on the other boards?
Originally Posted by JetSetGo!
I wonder (if you decide to keep it) if you put a packet of baking soda in a box with the bag also inside if that would help?
so it's been a few days and while i'm a bit congested from allergies/cold it appears that the awful smell has subsided a bunch from just airing out. i'm going to give it a couple more days, but i think it'll be ok. i may also try the baking soda idea.

in terms of the origin of the smell, i read on some other threads that it might be related to the leather being treated with fishoil during the tanning/dying process?
POST A REPLY
  HOME Premier Designers Proenza Schouler