PurseForum

PurseForum (http://forum.purseblog.com/)
-   Nail Care (http://forum.purseblog.com/nail-care/)
-   -   Best Cuticle Remover? (http://forum.purseblog.com/nail-care/best-cuticle-remover-728490.html)

IfPigsFly Jan 30, 2012 6:48am

Best Cuticle Remover?

What do you think is the best way to remove cuticles? What do you do and how often?

In addition to cuticle oil on a really frequent basis (multiple times a day), I'm sick and tired of my out of control cuticles and they are ruining my manis! Please help!!:nogood:

kbkaybee Jan 30, 2012 7:03am

My cuticles were total wrecks up until recently! I became a little obsessive about finding a fix, and here's what I do now -

About once a week, during a manicure, apply the Sally Hansen cuticle remover. I haven't tried them all but this one is cheap and easy to find. Let sit for ~1-2 minutes, the gently scrape around the nail/underneath to get the dead skin all off - I use an orange stick and the flat end of a Sephora cuticle tool. I only use the nipper for little hangy bits - I used to clip all my cuticles but not anymore. I'm convinced it's what was making them so ragged.

Every night, I slather my cuticles with Dior's Creme Abricot, and at least twice a day use Burt's Bees lemon balm with Clarins hand and nail cream.

I hope you find something that helps!

DC-Cutie Jan 30, 2012 7:23am

the best way to have healthy cuticles, is to only get them pushed back, don't cut them

My manicurist uses a cream from sally hansen, that dissolves the cuticles. She applies the cream, pushes back the cuticles and they just kind of dissolve off. No cutting.

She uses this: http://www.amazon.com/Sally-Hansen-I.../dp/B0046MK34G

ByeKitty Jan 30, 2012 7:40am

I'm interested in reading the responses here!
Instead of an orange stick, you could also use a qtip to remove cuticles... I like that idea better :laugh:

shelley37924 Jan 30, 2012 8:17am

I also use the Sally Hansen cuticle remover about once a week, but about twice a day I use the Lush Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter, and have fallen completely in love with it!

coronita Jan 30, 2012 8:18am

Another vote for Sally Hansen cuticle remover. This works so well!

NancyG Jan 30, 2012 8:42am

FWIW, although we're not nail techs, I think it is important to get our terminology right. What people tend to call the cuticle, the living tissue at the base of the nail, is properly called the eponychium. Cuticle is the dead tissue from the underside of the eponychium that clings to the newly forming nail plate. This is what we want to remove because it does interfere with adhesion of various products. Doug Schoon, of CND, has a great article that discusses this - http://www.dougschoon.com/nailpros/a...he-Cuticle.pdf

That said, To have a healthy eponychium and a nail plate free of cuticle, I think a cuticle remover with an alpha-hydroxy acid is your best pick. CND Cuticle Eraser, Sally Hansen are good examples.

kathyrose Jan 30, 2012 9:49am

I only have the one from Orly. Works pretty well. I should use it more than I do though.

iggystar Jan 30, 2012 10:12am

I use a cuticle remover with alpha-hydroxy that I bought from Sally Beauty Supply. It works quite well.

I'll chime in on clipping cuticles. Whenever I mess with them too much that's when I get hangnails. Using a remover and pushing back with a cuticle stick works best. If the cuticle area is really callused, I'll use the cuticle remover and one of those half-moon shaped cuticle tools go gently remove excess cuticle. However, I really only had to use that when I started doing my nails after a long period of no manicures. I massage my cuticles with oil in the morning and Burt's Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream at night and that does the trick. Plus, I lotion my hands throughout the day.

I believe that moisturizing often is the best thing to do.

NancyG Jan 30, 2012 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by iggystar (Post 20906321)
I use a cuticle remover with alpha-hydroxy that I bought from Sally Beauty Supply. It works quite well.

I'll chime in on clipping cuticles. Whenever I mess with them too much that's when I get hangnails. Using a remover and pushing back with a cuticle stick works best. If the cuticle area is really callused, I'll use the cuticle remover and one of those half-moon shaped cuticle tools go gently remove excess cuticle. However, I really only had to use that when I started doing my nails after a long period of no manicures. I massage my cuticles with oil in the morning and Burt's Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream at night and that does the trick. Plus, I lotion my hands throughout the day.

I believe that moisturizing often is the best thing to do.

Love, love, love your avatar!!

iggystar Jan 30, 2012 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyG (Post 20906585)
Love, love, love your avatar!!

:laugh: Thanks!

I'm a total nerd.

QueenDom Jan 30, 2012 10:41am

I use blue cross cuticle remover from sally's, it's under $5 for a bottle so big I doubt I'll ever need another. I use it nice a week, it just dissolves away the dead skin and I wipe it off with a cotton ball, boned with daily cuticle oil it keeps mine under control

aunyabird Jan 30, 2012 3:16pm

Loving this thread, good information since I've been trying to find a good cuticle remover for mine lately. I don't like the idea of clipping for some reason, so this sounds like a nice alternative!

saira1214 Jan 30, 2012 4:35pm

Completely agree with the Sally Hansen cuticle remover and Lush Lemony Flutter (HG worthy!).

zucca Feb 6, 2012 12:06am

I use Creme Abricot by Dior all night long, and then Pelline, always by Dior, for remove cuticle, and the duo is great :woohoo::rofl::heart: