Home Body - Mind - Wellness Pregnancy & Parenting

Why do women choose to give birth via c-section?

POST A REPLY

May 29, 2011, 12:38am   #16
♥ Bag Lovers ♥
I'm having my 1st bb and will be going for C-Sect next week... It is not an elective C-Sect by me as I've been looking forward to experience natural delivery so this was the last option on my mind.

But then, by week 36, my BB is still breech and my gynae keep emphasizing it is safer for me to deliver by C-Sect, as he does not want me to wait till week 38 or even 39 when I can go into labour anytime and if any complication arises, have to go thru a emergency C-Sect.

So, now I'm more or else prepared for it although I would be lying if I say I'm not afraid of the pain aftermath, as I've not been through any operations in my life. This is a major one for me. Wish me luck!
May 29, 2011, 12:41am   #17
Good luck, baby could still move though!
I delivered twins c-sect much to my chagrin. My babies were head down, just like they needed to be until the week I delivered They DON'T run out of room to flip!
May 29, 2011, 12:59am   #18
Good luck Angel77!! I hope everything goes smoothly for you and your little one!
May 29, 2011, 1:02am   #19
♥ Bag Lovers ♥
Thank you Swanky Mama & Mrs Awesome!

Originally Posted by Swanky Mama Of Three
Good luck, baby could still move though!
I delivered twins c-sect much to my chagrin. My babies were head down, just like they needed to be until the week I delivered They DON'T run out of room to flip!
Originally Posted by Mrs. Awesome
Good luck Angel77!! I hope everything goes smoothly for you and your little one!
May 29, 2011, 1:46am   #20
B
My mum had to have a c-section with me because I was facing the wrong way.
May 29, 2011, 4:04am   #21
G
Originally Posted by Coco Belle
AFAIK about 10% of births are safer via c-section due to things like dangerous positioning of the baby, pelvic problems (those this is actually very rare -- something like 1% of babies are too big for mom's pelvis), infection, pre-eclampsia/eclampsia, that sort of thing. Basically, what would have killed a woman in the past.

However, in the US in particular many many doctors push the c-section because it's a "procedure" and is more controllable than a vaginal birth in terms of timing, possible complications, etc. Tort law in the US means doctors are wide open to lawsuits, so they tend to prefer something that they're fully in charge of. When the woman is left in charge of her own body, some doctors start to freak out.

And most ladies just "listen to the man/woman in the white coat", since what else are you supposed to do? Your dr is freaking out and insisting that a c-section would be better, so you take them at their word, right? it's kinda sad, since it's not the best choice and should only be used when really really necessary.
I agree and disagree with some of this. The World Health Organization (WHO) says the c-section rate should be 10 to 15%. The c-section rate in the U.S. is too high (30%), but it's even higher in many other countries. It's pretty high in most Western countries and around the world. In China it's 46%! I'm in Spain (I'm from the U.S.) and it's about 40% and there's a similar percentage in Greece and Italy and some other European countries. Even in the UK where it's a lot lower, it's still 20%.

The 10-15% that is recommended is a bit of an arbitrary number. I think there are some doctors that do a c-section for convenience, but that is not my experience or my friends' experience. Most doctors you talk to don't want to do a c-section, they want their patients to give birth vaginally, since it's better for mother and baby. I had a c-section here even though I didn't want one. My doctor actually has a lower c-section rate, but in the end I needed one. I had a rare complication and had to have an emergency hysterectomy immediately afterwards. I took my medical records, including the fetal monitor readings and showed them to a couple of other doctors that are family friends (since this happened in a foreign country, I wanted to make sure the right decisions were made). Those doctors said the right decisions were made, from choosing to do an emergency c-section to having the emergency hysterectomy.

I think many people are into natural childbirth and it's been a bit of a movement. In most ways it's a great thing, because isn't childbirth natural? But I honestly don't think most doctors are out to give us c-sections to make more money for themselves or the hospital or to save time and get home for dinner. I think we need to be our own best advocates, but I also choose doctors that are highly recommended and have the experience to know what's best.

As for elective c-sections, I honestly don't know anyone who has gotten one. I had three girlfriends who wanted a c-section (it was their first child and the thought of childbirth terrified them, and they didn't know any better) and in each case their doctors said, "um, no." I've heard that some girls that insist on an elective c-section have to shop around a lot to find a doctor that's willing to do it, because most won't. Doctors aren't jumping at the chance to do c-sections as much as we think (at least in the U.S.) and I'd rather have a doctor who knows when to intervene instead of sticking to the WHO's arbitrary 10% preferred c-section rate.

While some doctors are too c-section happy, c-sections have saved many lives and the infant and maternal mortality rates have gone down drastically since the modern age of medical technology.
May 29, 2011, 6:54am   #22
v
Originally Posted by Angel77
I'm having my 1st bb and will be going for C-Sect next week... It is not an elective C-Sect by me as I've been looking forward to experience natural delivery so this was the last option on my mind.

But then, by week 36, my BB is still breech and my gynae keep emphasizing it is safer for me to deliver by C-Sect, as he does not want me to wait till week 38 or even 39 when I can go into labour anytime and if any complication arises, have to go thru a emergency C-Sect.

So, now I'm more or else prepared for it although I would be lying if I say I'm not afraid of the pain aftermath, as I've not been through any operations in my life. This is a major one for me. Wish me luck!
That's what happened to my sister and her first. Baby was breech, she went into labor, and they had to do an emergency c-section. It was pretty awful. She really wanted to try a vaginal delivery the second time around (she's due with her second baby next month), but she opted to do a scheduled c-section again mostly because she was at a much higher risk to re-open her old c-section scar during delivery, which can cause a whole host of complications that her small-town hospital is not equipped to deal with.
It sounds like you've made a smart choice, Angel:) Best of luck with our delivery!
May 29, 2011, 10:02am   #23
♥ Bag Lovers ♥
vhdos, thank you for the well wishes! I also wish your sis a smooth delivery & speedy recovery.
Originally Posted by vhdos
That's what happened to my sister and her first. Baby was breech, she went into labor, and they had to do an emergency c-section. It was pretty awful. She really wanted to try a vaginal delivery the second time around (she's due with her second baby next month), but she opted to do a scheduled c-section again mostly because she was at a much higher risk to re-open her old c-section scar during delivery, which can cause a whole host of complications that her small-town hospital is not equipped to deal with.
It sounds like you've made a smart choice, Angel:) Best of luck with our delivery!
May 29, 2011, 12:25pm   #24
in Germany they do give you the choice of having a c-section, here in the Middle East they pushed me hard for a c-section because it is generally easier on the doc (sure) and of course earns them more... yep, beauty of private health care.

having said that - I had to have c-sections with both kids: first time round my son got stuck on my hip bone and wouldn't move his head to get through the pelvis. after some 24 hours of labour, they felt pity with me...

second time, we didn't even get to the natural labour stage - the doc found that there was something wrong with the baby's heart beat, and sure enough, the cord was wrapped around her neck so tight, they had to cut it inside before getting her out.

I recovered really quickly both times, because I started moving the second day, and chose spinal block/epidural. i really wish I didn't have to have c-sections, I so badly wanted natural births... and never even wanted to consider an epidural.. wish I was like my SIL that takes about 4 hours to get each kid out.

now, I can't have natural birth, because law here does not allow so after having had two c-sections, just too many complications possible.
May 29, 2011, 2:57pm   #25
I was pretty scared about giving birth (many years ago) and so mentioned the possibility of having a C-section instead, especially as I had pre-eclampsia. The professor (!!) was aghast, looked at me as if I was insane and told me on no uncertain terms that it was a major operation and that it was far better for the baby to come out vaginally if possible (something about squeezing the lungs??). Anyway, so rightly or wrongly, ever since then I've thought it should never be done unless there was a compelling medical reason for doing so.
May 29, 2011, 3:49pm   #26
R
I've never had children, but I work around women who have them all the time. In the US, there needs to be documentation of why the woman needs a C-section. However, there are relative indications for C-sections and there are absolute indications for C-sections. IMO, these relative indications can be stretched. From reading prior posts, it seems that this is not as true in other countries.

In regards to tummy tuck + C-sections, speaking with multiple plastic surgeons, the time of delivery is not the optimal time for an abdominoplasty. The optimal incision made for C-sections are not optimal for an abdominoplasty making the abdominoplasty suboptimal.

In addition, while both C-sections and vaginal deliverys carry their own risks and benefits, there are more postoperative complications with C-sections, such as adhesions that can result in bowel obstructions and other abdominal problems. Think twice before jumping into an elective C-section, but I also have colleagues who would swear by them.
May 29, 2011, 3:52pm   #27
Originally Posted by Cornflower Blue
I was pretty scared about giving birth (many years ago) and so mentioned the possibility of having a C-section instead, especially as I had pre-eclampsia. The professor (!!) was aghast, looked at me as if I was insane and told me on no uncertain terms that it was a major operation and that it was far better for the baby to come out vaginally if possible (something about squeezing the lungs??). Anyway, so rightly or wrongly, ever since then I've thought it should never be done unless there was a compelling medical reason for doing so.
this is completely true - it's called 'wet lung' and it jacked w/ one of my twins He was in the NICU after birth for 5 days struggling to breathe. I attribute this as the cause of his asthma.
May 29, 2011, 10:22pm   #28
happy
i work with some women who choose to have caesars ... they look at me like im nuts to choose a vaginal delivery ... i dont get it personally - major surgery when you could give birth naturally doesnt make sense to me ... but i also believe all women should be allowed to decide for themselves ... in Australia a lot of women prefer natural birth - when i say im thinking ill get an epi people really get judgemental - it upsets me - like what does it matter you YOU if i want an epidural. Ive done the reading, i know the risks ... anyway ...
May 29, 2011, 10:34pm   #29
m
I never really put any thought in to having a c-section, I had 3 vaginal births. But with number 4 I had an emerg c-section. I dont know how people can opt to have these all the time. The worst recovery 4 months out. The scar is still painful.
May 29, 2011, 10:50pm   #30
Originally Posted by GirlFriday
I think many people are into natural childbirth and it's been a bit of a movement. In most ways it's a great thing, because isn't childbirth natural? But I honestly don't think most doctors are out to give us c-sections to make more money for themselves or the hospital or to save time and get home for dinner. I think we need to be our own best advocates, but I also choose doctors that are highly recommended and have the experience to know what's best.
I very much agree that many people's views on childbirth are part of a "movement". It seems that based on the research each person has done, their own experiences, and their own opinions, they believe that their views are the only legitimate ones out there. Again, it is women judging women - and mothers judging mothers - much more harshly than anyone else might judge us.

Like mjlover1977 said, if each person has done the reading, talked with their doctors and knows the risks of things like an epidural - or a c-section for that matter - then who am I (or anyone else) to tell them that it is wrong for them in their situation?

We are quick to blame c-sections on a woman's vanity, lack of education, desire for convenience or other things we really cannot know, but I think that the vast majority of women really do want what is best for themselves and their babies. The rate of c-sections may be high and may be rising, but exactly which women should we point to and say, "YOU should not have had a c-section"? If we weren't there, who are we to say it wasn't necessary or didn't feel necessary at the time?
POST A REPLY
  HOME Body - Mind - Wellness Pregnancy & Parenting