Home Body - Mind - Wellness Pregnancy & Parenting

How To Carry Off Motherhood Off @ 63

POST A REPLY

Jul 1, 2007, 10:39pm   #1

Weighty responsibility: Dr Rashbrook carries Jude in a sling

Doting: With Jude and his father John Farrant

Bearing her strapping baby in a sling, Dr Patricia Rashbrook, 63, shows she has lost none of her appetite for motherhood.

Britain's oldest mother was taking her son Jude, who will be one on Thursday, on a trip to the shops. She insists her age is no barrier to raising a child and, while many parents might have chosen the easier option of using a pushchair, she seemed to have no trouble carrying the boy.

Judging by his size, Jude is thriving in the care of his doting mother and his father John Farrant, 61.
Jude, known as JJ, was born after child psychologist Dr Rashbrook paid 10,000 for IVF treatment in Russia using a donor egg under the supervision of Italian fertility expert Professor Severino Antinori. Despite being past retirement age, Dr Rashbrook is preparing to return to work part time and has been given planning permission to turn the basement of the family's 500,000 home in Lewes, East Sussex, into a consulting room.

She said that when Jude was born she would take a year off work, then she and her husband would both work part time so one of them was always at home with him.
While Mr Farrant. a higher education consultant, is a firsttime father, Dr Rashbrook had three children, now grown up, by her late first husband.
Caroline, 27, a doctor, and sons William, 23, and Charles, 19, both students, are expected to be at Jude's first birthday party next week.
His birth reignited the debate over giving fertility treatment to women who are way past natural child-bearing age.
Dr Rashbrook had been refused fertility treatment in the UK, where most clinics have an upper age limit of 55. Professor Antinori, who has a track record of helping postmenopausal women have babies, took the couple to Russia because Dr Rashbrook was also beyond the age limit for treatment in Italy.

By CHRISTIAN GYSIN

I remember posting a thread when she first had him.

Jul 1, 2007, 10:49pm   #2
Louis Vuitton Addict
Well the main objection to motherhood at this age is that the child may be left alone due to death of parents but who is to say? Parents can die at any age & if the child is well cared for & given a good start in life, then fine. However, I cannot imagine having the energy for a child when I will be 63! By that stage i will be expecting my children to have produced grandchildren that I can dote over but send home at the end of the day & put my feet up LOL
Jul 1, 2007, 10:55pm   #3
At that age I would be looking forward to grandchildren or free time, not starting over. Oh well, happy first birthday to Jude!
Jul 2, 2007, 8:40am   #4
funny, I am usually so understanding and open when it comes to choices (have 20 children for all i care) but this one is at the moment a bit weird for me. maybe bec that would be like my mother starting all over again - she obviously is the doting grandma now and I couldn't picture her having another child of her own. still, if it makes them happy - fair enough.

i have heard of these discussion when I lived in UK - is this an issue elsewhere as well?
Jul 2, 2007, 9:29am   #5
^^I know in the U.S. it frowned upon as well. Just recently a 60 year old woman gave birth to TWINS. They already had a 6-year-old son, a 29-year-old daughter and a 33-year-old son. Their kids are weirded out.

Honestly, when I opened the thread I was like how cute is that grandma is using a carrier. Then I read the thread opps
Jul 2, 2007, 9:37am   #6
Wow...that sling doesn't look very comfortable..
Jul 2, 2007, 9:45am   #7
Her son isnt positioned very well in the sling.
Jul 2, 2007, 9:46am   #8
Mommy Extraordinaire
If they can still take care of the child like a child should be cared for then why not? I mean, yes, older parents means more chances that maybe the parents will die sooner in the child's life, but like someone already posted, any parent at any age can die whenever.
POST A REPLY
  HOME Body - Mind - Wellness Pregnancy & Parenting