Home > > >

Rant Hair and Nail Supplements with Biotin - adverse reaction

POST A REPLY

May 9, 2012, 1:23pm   #1
lenaofdc
I have normal skin, I'm not acne prone. I started taking biotin supplements and then hair/nail growth supplements with a large amount of biotin and had no adverse reactions for about 3 months.

And then all holy h*ll broke out on my face! Even though I immediately stopped taking the supplements I went through the worst bout of acne I've ever had for a little over 6 months. At any given time I could point out 3 large pimples on my forehead. One would heal and another popped up. I tried every product on the market and nothing helped until I started using Proactive (that stuff worked like a charm, too bad it took so long to buy it).

I guess it took a long time for it to get out of my system because it has taken about a year for my skin to go back to normal and I have just recently stopped using Proactive and successfully went back to CeraVe. Now just the ocassional aunt flo blemish.

I wonder if this happened to anyone else?
May 9, 2012, 4:37pm   #2
nc.girl
Girly Gear Head
It does seem to be a fairly common side effect from what I've heard/read, which is why I've never gotten into taking any sort of supplement with Biotin in it. I would love to try Biotin since the benefits sound great, but I'm afraid my oily skin might break out from it.
May 9, 2012, 6:05pm   #3
Tracy
shallowly obsessing
For what it's worth, my oily/acne prone skin is doing fine w/ taking Biotin :)
May 10, 2012, 8:55am   #4
lenaofdc
Yeah it was really bizzare. It's like my skin tolerated it (3 pills per day) for about 3 months and I guess that's when it really got built up in my system and then BAM, serious adult acne. It has never, ever happened to me before so I know it was the pills. I just can't believe how long it took to go back to normal!

AND I don't know that it even did anything for my hair, although my eyelashes seemed thicker.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > > >