Home > >

Is Black Nail Polish Unprofessional??

POST A REPLY

Oct 6, 2008, 2:23am   #31
Pursegrrl
Oh no she di-int!!
Black nailpolish is absolutely unprofessional. If it's on a pedicure and hidden then that's fine. Deep burgundies or cranberries should be used instead on fingers (a la Chanel Vamp and others).
Oct 6, 2008, 4:25am   #32
babevivtan
I would not wear black on my nails while at work. Now that I think about it, I would not ever wear navy, blue, green, shocking pink or yellow. Nothing bright or too sparkly/glittery.

French Manicure is work appropriate, as are pinks (not shocking pink), browns, nudes, purple, silver, grey is fine, gold as in Chanel Gold Fiction (i.e. not shouting LOOK-AT-ME gold).

Maybe I am too conservative. But the above is just for me, I do not insist that on anyone.
Oct 6, 2008, 7:50am   #33
fantasiatzu
It depends on the field where you work. I used to own 2 pharmacies if any of my employees showed up with black nail polish I would throw a hissy fit.

If you are in a "creative" field sure, black nail polish would work.
Oct 6, 2008, 8:53am   #34
Compass Rose
Opie, My Schmopie!!
True black just is not professional, in my opinion.
Oct 6, 2008, 11:25am   #35
Veelyn
I'M BACK :)
I don't really think nail polish can look unprofessional, unless its chipped. But its all about the way you look, act, and dress. If your nails are perfectly polished and so are you, then I think it would be fine. This is JMO.
Oct 6, 2008, 11:48am   #36
MissTiss
Shopping Issues
I think the right answer is to ask your supervisor and consult your company's dress code. (some are very particular).

Funny, I just had this conversation with my boss after picking up some very dark shades (not black). So I asked him if I was allowed to wear dark polish. His question was how dark; after descibing the colors his answer was as long as it wasn't black he was ok with it. I work in a professional office building with medium to heavy client contact.
Oct 6, 2008, 12:00pm   #37
a
at7815
This is a great question b/c I love dark colors and even when I get Russian Navy from OPI (which I love!) I wonder whether it's ok to wear to the office. I still wear it and get compliments on it, but sometimes I feel like I'm pushing it. I'm a lawyer and while I wear dark nail polishes to the office, I would never wear it to court out of fear for getting an old judge who just doesn't get it.
So...I don't know that I have an answer to the question, but I think if you love fashion, you should just do it, and skip it when you have important meetings or presentations where your nails will really stand out.

HTH
Oct 6, 2008, 12:29pm   #38
chodessa
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Originally Posted by Veelyn
I don't really think nail polish can look unprofessional, unless its chipped. But its all about the way you look, act, and dress. If your nails are perfectly polished and so are you, then I think it would be fine. This is JMO.
This is pretty much how I feel about it...
Recently a student was working with us and had on kelly green nail polish and then another one came in wearing bright yellow nail polish.. I absolutely hated it!! I let them know too..
Then I got to thinking...am I a hypocrite lecturing them on their loud colors yet am about to paint my nails the darkest purple possible and then black by next week?
Oct 6, 2008, 2:19pm   #39
Tracy
shallowly obsessing
Originally Posted by Veelyn
this is my opinion also. it is very eye-opening that so many feel it's unprofessional.
i am a teacher and i wear dark polish most of the time. and while some of the polish looks dark burgundy or navy, most often i'm wearing polish that looks black, but isn't.
i don't judge a persons professionalism based on their nail polish color.
just my .02
Oct 6, 2008, 2:47pm   #40
Jahpson
if you keep your nails short then you can get away with it.

but instead of black, try dark purple or blue.

You know whats unprofessional IMO? nails with fancy designs on them. so an all color nail should be no problem...
Oct 6, 2008, 7:06pm   #41
g
grammyr
Grandma
I don't think it's awfully professional but I am quite traditionally minded. I think that anything that is "creepy" like black nails should be left out of work.
Oct 6, 2008, 7:27pm   #42
Miss Sooky
Originally Posted by chodessa
I understand EXACTLY what you are saying because we are in somewhat similar fields.. BUT nowadays tattoos and piercings and pseudo-mohawks are "normal" in a sense, so what's wrong with a very VERY dark nail polish? KWIM?
I know, it is a good question, except I have been asked as a female consultant to talk to junior doctors and medical students about things that I didn't mind at all including hairstyles, tattoos and heels (although one medical student's killer heels were damaging the ward floor!). I always feel uncomfortable about commenting on someone's style, but the bottom line is we are working in a public service and whilst we can debate the rules, there are expectations imposed upon us formally and, for my part I genuinely don't want anything to alarm patients who may already be feeling vulnerable, scared, out of place etc. However, as you don't actually have patient contact that doesn't seem to apply - my experience though is that healthcare is pretty conservative and tribal so even colleagues who are not in contact with patients are often expected, maybe unreasonably, to conform to dress norms.
Oct 6, 2008, 7:52pm   #43
purly
ALL THE BAGS!
Originally Posted by ronsdiva
unless you are in the beauty or another creative industry i say save the black nail polish for weekends and vacation. I would go with one of the darker colors (deep purple, blue, brown) instead of black.
ita
Oct 6, 2008, 10:23pm   #44
i
irish_clover
Account Deactivated
I work in fashion so I might not be the best person to comment.. but I think black is ok. I mean if I went to my doctor and saw that she had on black polish I wouldn't think any differently of her. then again I am 23. If my grandmother went to a doctor with black nails I could totally see her saying the doctor was a "punk" or something like that.
Oct 6, 2008, 10:43pm   #45
e
elizat
Originally Posted by ronsdiva
Unless you are in the beauty or another creative industry I say save the black nail polish for weekends and vacation. I would go with one of the darker colors (deep purple, blue, brown) instead of black.
I agree. It does not sound like your workplace is super conservative, but I think in some fields, even purples, blues and browns are a no-go- in my line of work that rule applies.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >