Home Beauty & Makeup Make-Up

Makeup-do you buy in quantity or quality (or both?

View Poll Results: How do you spend money on makeup?
Cheaper products in large quantities 2 3.17%
High end brands in small quantities 23 36.51%
Cheaper products in small quantities 1 1.59%
High end brands in large quantities 6 9.52%
A bit of both! (What do you splurge and save on?) 31 49.21%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

POST A REPLY

Aug 22, 2010, 11:21am   #1
m
Just wondering how you ladies spend money on makeup! Do you buy lots of cheap products, splurge on a few luxurious ones, or are you somewhere in between?

I really don't wear much makeup at all-only foundation, cover up, and mascara-so I feel OK splurging because my yearly makeup budget is pretty low. But I do cheap out on mascara. I have sensitive skin too, so I find the cheap foundations don't do so well on my face.

What about you?
Aug 22, 2010, 11:52am   #2
i buy makeup for quality and in high and low quantities. I mean, I reason that you put it on your face soo I don't want anything to possibly break my skin out. Once a year I buy a large quantity, and then every few weeks or so I buy small quantities. A few years ago I only used cheap makeup but there is a big difference in the quality/texture. Also I think that higher quality foundations and powders can be better for your skin. I think higher quality makeup brushes are absolutely worth it. My false lashes and chapstick do come from the drugstore though.
Aug 22, 2010, 1:19pm   #3
Hopeless Hoarder
I definitely have room for both in my life. I LOVE cheapie mascaras and eyeliners for me and a random few eyeshadows and glosses and then my foundation, blushes, concealers, shadows and lipsticks are all higher end.
Aug 22, 2010, 1:49pm   #4
<3
I splurge on concealer and items that I am really interested in. Ones that I can't find colors in drugstore items or items that I just REALLY want.

I save on mascara. I have used all sorts of high end mascaras and have NOT been impressed. My favorite is the Loreal Telescopic Clean Definition.
Aug 22, 2010, 1:51pm   #5
Oh no she di-int!!
I splurge on foundation (but not outrageously so) as it's the base for everything else that goes on my face. But I've found that drugstore foundations over a splurge-y primer are also a good combo. Example: I love Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation. BUT I also found that Cover Girl TruBlend looks great but has a lot more all-day staying power over my Chanel Le Blanc base.

When I was out of work for a long time this past year I had fun finding cheaper products (mascaras, etc) that still looked great without draining my wallet.

XXXOO PG
Aug 22, 2010, 2:55pm   #6
Addict
I buy both. I don't know.... I've had success and disappointments with both high end and drug store products so I definitely don't think the higher the price tag the better for your skin, better quality, etc. I'm just a makeup junkie, I guess. I guess for items that I use up faster, I do tend to go the drug store route.. like for liquid eyeliner, mascara, false eyelashes (no way I'm paying over $10 for those).
Aug 22, 2010, 3:00pm   #7
I know that if I buy drug store products I won't them use, I will just end up throwing them out so it would be a waste of money. I would prefer to buy more high end products but less often, I just buy what I need when it runs out. I'd rather buy one YSL lipstick than have 10 from the drug store, but thats just me!

The only products I repurchase from the drug store are mascaras, I love Maybelline and L'oreal. The higher end mascara's aren't as good IMO.
Aug 22, 2010, 3:03pm   #8
Pretty Young Thing
High-end in small quantities I don't buy makeup often. Twice a year (usually) but I always buy the best makeup that works and looks best on me. I don't think there is a reason to own 12 bronzers when you're only going to use one at a time anyways. Plus, when you get one that truely looks good on you, you won't need all the others.
Aug 22, 2010, 3:28pm   #9
Addict
I didn't even finish answering the question... I prefer to buy quality vs quantity. I think that's why I won't buy an 88 or more eyeshadow palette.
Aug 22, 2010, 6:16pm   #10
I do both! i like to splurge on face and lip products because those are the main go-to items in my everyday look. I've found lots of places where i can get EXCELLENT quality shadows/liners/mascaras for low prices so that's not as much of an issue
Aug 22, 2010, 9:39pm   #11
c
i do both as well. sometimes i tend to splurge on high end cosmetics, like ysl and guerlain lip products. and sometimes, i also buy a bunch of lip balms like chapsticks at drugstores. the drugstore lip balms i put at different corners of the house so it'll be instantly available everytime i needed it. because my lips are always dry, and i cant live without one.
Aug 23, 2010, 11:52am   #12
x
Well I think it depends. A lot of the time I tend to run out of cleanser/moisterizer/nightcream at the exact same time and I buy quality products for those because that's really taking care of your skin so once or twice a year I have to splurge and get those. In terms of makeup, I buy quality every once in a while because I don't wear makeup a lot so I don't need that much of it. I don't believe in cheap stuff because I'm afraid for my skin!

And by cheap stuff I don't mean cheap-costing. I buy Cetaphil (which I adore) but that's beacuse I know it's been proven to be fine for your skin. Everything I buy I want to make sure is good and healthy, not going to make me have cancer/break out, etc.
Aug 23, 2010, 4:58pm   #13
high end in small quantities
Aug 23, 2010, 6:41pm   #14
i buy it all.

it's easier to store than clothes and shoes and since i've started shopping with a more discerning eye (pretty much all designer or vintage clothes and designer accessories), there's less impulse buying for me fashion-wise. this has translated to MANY impulse beauty purchases, both low and high end.

i tend to buy in phases of products or brands...i'm on a blush binge or buying everything i want from armani's beauty line until i have it all. that said, i am on a beauty ban for eye products through the end of the year. these are the things i use the least. i will use 10 different blushes, i won't use 10 different eye shadows.
Aug 24, 2010, 9:14am   #15
S
Account Deactivated
I have bought high quality in high amounts for many years! I have a makeup collection that could rival any makeup artistes! So these days I just top up my collection if I have run out of something or if something really catches my eye
POST A REPLY
  HOME Beauty & Makeup Make-Up