Home > > >

Why did Louis vuitton stop treating the vachetta leather?

POST A REPLY

Sep 23, 2009, 10:38pm   #1
m
mibrahi3
:)
I know a lot of people love the patina.. But why did lv decide to use untreated leather? They used to treat it before.
Sep 23, 2009, 11:40pm   #2
LV Bags Lover
«Mini Collector»
you mean the cowhide leather was once being treated??
Sep 27, 2009, 12:37am   #4
southerncharm
Yes, LV use to use a finished leather product, it was a carmel color leather.
Sep 27, 2009, 1:41am   #5
*NYC Princess*
Is that just the French Company bags though or Louis Vuitton itself?
Oct 16, 2009, 12:58am   #6
m
mytomtom
some of the older vintage bags have the carmel color cowhide treated leather, I have an vintage Papillon that has this type of leather. I have taken to LV to get the handles replaced but they no longer use this type of leather, I wish they did, it does not show dirt or water marks
Oct 16, 2009, 8:54am   #7
Addy
The Odd Mod
Vintage items made by the French Company for LV used a treated smooth-grain leather or pigskin (really!). LV used a treated smooth-grain leather and a treated cross-grain leather for the Mono Papillon (until about 2003/2004 for the latter), then they were made with untreated vachetta like the other Mono items.
Oct 21, 2009, 4:48pm   #8
crazyboutcoach
Iced Lemonade
I think they don't treat the vachetta anymore to cut production costs & garner more profits. :( Lots of companies are doing this nowadays.
Oct 22, 2009, 5:11pm   #9
Barlow
Behaving...Sometimes
Originally Posted by crazyboutcoach
I think they don't treat the vachetta anymore to cut production costs & garner more profits. :( Lots of companies are doing this nowadays.
Plus, many people don't like the darker look and will pay $$$ to get their handles replaced after only a year or two. It's built in return business
Oct 24, 2009, 5:44pm   #10
mrs moulds
Originally Posted by Addy
Vintage items made by the French Company for LV used a treated smooth-grain leather or pigskin (really!). LV used a treated smooth-grain leather and a treated cross-grain leather for the Mono Papillon (until about 2003/2004 for the latter), then they were made with untreated vachetta like the other Mono items.

My first LV was a French Company Speedy 35 back in late 1980. Ohhhhhhh I am telling my age!!!

At the time, they were offering the untreated vachetta, but I didn't want it because was afraid of the leather becoming dirty.

I still have and carry that bag to this day, and with a couple of dings here and there, she looks brand new.
Nov 10, 2009, 5:08pm   #11
y
yvonova
Well the untreated vachetta looks more feminine but I guess the treated dark-coloured ones are more practical..

I have a Damier Azur manufactured in 2008. I wonder if thats the treated or untreated leather? Anyone..?
Nov 10, 2009, 11:40pm   #12
Elliespurse
TPF Moderator
^^ Azur from 2008 is untreated leather for sure. If carried a lot the vachetta will get a tan quickly though.
Nov 11, 2009, 1:09am   #13
wigglytuff
Love & Hermes
Originally Posted by crazyboutcoach
as far as i understand you cant just take the cow cut it up and its untreated vachetta, vachetta still requires some sort of processing and special treatment. cheap "genuine" leather does not patina. i would be shocked if vachetta did not require as much treatment as other kinds of leather LV sells.
Nov 14, 2009, 6:23am   #14
y
yvonova
Originally Posted by Elliespurse
^^ Azur from 2008 is untreated leather for sure. If carried a lot the vachetta will get a tan quickly though.
You are right Elliespurse, mine is a tan or at least much darker than the ones I see on Louis Vuitton website.. sad

How much is it to get handles replaced?
Nov 14, 2009, 6:58am   #15
Elliespurse
TPF Moderator
^^ Replacing handles could be $100 but you have to ask in a LV store..

Also, have you tried alcohol-free baby wipes to see if the handles could be cleaned?

g/l
POST A REPLY
  HOME > > >