Home Premier Designers Louis Vuitton Louis Vuitton FAQs

Epi handle discoloration--color coming off or something rubbed on?

POST A REPLY

Jun 14, 2012, 2:39pm   #1
V
Greetings!

I have a beautiful red epi speedy that is 18 years old and my favorite bag of all time (and currently my only LV). I don't baby my bags, but do take very good care of them. I've noticed there is a slight discoloration on the top of one of the handles where the color looks noticeably lighter. It doesn't take away from the beauty of the bag at all, and is certainly normal wear and tear, but I'm not sure what it is. I believe it's from the black sealant on the other handle rubbing against it, either wearing away some of the color or adding some kind of waxy residue that's sitting on top of the normal color. Has anyone see this before? If it is a loss of color, I will just try to be more careful of the handles rubbing together. If it is a residue, on the other hand, perhaps I can clean it off which is why I'm asking about it. I've tried to rub in lightly with a damp cloth, but I don't want risk further removing color if that's what's happening. I've attached pics to try to show what I'm talking about. I'm sorry the pics are so lousy--I only have a camera on my phone. The very bright white spot is just a reflection from the light, and not the discoloration I'm referring to. Hopefully you can see how there is an area of the handle where the red color is lighter. Has anyone seen this before? I did a search but couldn't find anything on it. Any ideas about what it is, and anything I can do about it (either to fix it or keep it from getting worse), would be greatly appreciated! I've been floored how amazing this bag looks after so long, and incredibly impressed with the quality and workmanship. I know there have been threads about quality issues on new bags, but this this old speedy so well made!

Cheers!
Attached Images

Jun 18, 2012, 2:55pm   #2
V
Bumping this up with a slightly better pic or the handle discoloration. The really bright spot is just a reflection; the light red area is what I'm referring to. I still can't figure out if it's the color coming off or if something rubbed on it and is coating the handle and might be able to be removed. Has this happened to anyone else's bag?

Cheers!
Attached Images

POST A REPLY
  HOME Premier Designers Louis Vuitton Louis Vuitton FAQs