Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > > >

Regents Bag: Leather Care Tips?

POST A REPLY

Jan 14, 2010, 10:59pm   #1
s
swatson
Hi Girls/Guys -

Today my Regent's Tiger Eye bag arrived in my cube today! I am very excited as (mentioned in the ideeli thread) it's a beautiful, yet casual bag that is v.me :)

However, alike the bag I saw at the Rack, it is the type of leather that may be prone to light abrasions/nicks/scratches and was wondering if any of you fabulous lambies had any tips/suggestions/experiences w/ the Regents bags.

Typically my bags (shoes/coats) have come w/ some sort of care card as I usually do the Apple Care/Apple Gaurd on my non-patented leather goods. But, no such luck w/ this particular bag (much less a dustbag, oh well).

Any suggestions/recommendations are welcomed :)

...and now back to googling before heading into a leather good store this weekend...

swatson
Jan 15, 2010, 12:55am   #2
legsieloveslamb
BaG jUnKiE!
The Apple should work on it. Test a tiny area.
Jan 15, 2010, 1:01am   #3
yvalenz
Apple also sells a spray called "Rain and Stain Repellent". I've sprayed this on other bags and it's been a good product.
*which reminds me - I'm out and need to re-order. Used the last bit on Uggs and survived Tx weather!*

Overall - the leather on those bags is a bit more delicate and you may not be able to completely prevent scratches, but the conditioning will minimize the look.
Jan 15, 2010, 6:17am   #4
s
swatson
Thanks, legsieloveslamb & yvalenz! Very much appreciate the suggestions/recommendations as it falls in-line w/ what I had in mind but wasn't 110% sure :P

TGIF!!!!!

swatson
Jan 15, 2010, 10:40pm   #5
alliemia
love shopping!!!
the regent is goat leather, so maybe look and see what the apple products state.

i've never pre-treated anything, but have used doc baileys leather tonic for touch ups on leather that is scuffed, etc and it works great.
Jan 16, 2010, 9:49pm   #6
s
swatson
Update: Yesterday morning (after posting) I made a few patch tests with both the Apple Care and Gaurd products. Returning home hours later, the tests came out w/out a trace - so to speak. So, the new bag was both conditioned and guarded. Today, my gal friend and I went out for lunch (Restaurant Week) and it looked fabulous! (the shot is VERY grainy; but hey, it's the laptop camera!)

:)

swatson
Attached Images

Jan 19, 2010, 2:23am   #7
n
ninth
hey didn't know where i post this question, but since this is about leather care i'll post here
i didn't know that you shouldn't use leather protectors with silicone on handbags, so i already treated my bag with the stuff,
just wondering why can't leather purses be treated with silicone, all i read was that i attracts dust

i know apple care is recommend for handbags, but it's costs $25 alone to ship to Canada,
is there any other leather care product that you guys would recommend that i can get in a store rather than online?
Jan 20, 2010, 2:12am   #8
legsieloveslamb
BaG jUnKiE!
Yay for Apple- Looks good, Swatson!

Sorry, ninth- I don't know of any other products. Hopefully one of the others might.
Jan 20, 2010, 1:18pm   #9
yvalenz
Originally Posted by ninth
hey didn't know where i post this question, but since this is about leather care i'll post here
i didn't know that you shouldn't use leather protectors with silicone on handbags, so i already treated my bag with the stuff,
just wondering why can't leather purses be treated with silicone, all i read was that i attracts dust

i know apple care is recommend for handbags, but it's costs $25 alone to ship to Canada,
is there any other leather care product that you guys would recommend that i can get in a store rather than online?
The silicone doesn't allow the leather to breathe, and over time, can cause the leather to wear unevenly or break/crack. It tends to dry it out over time and frequent use. it can also cause it to feel "sticky"

I still say spend the $ on Applecare products - load up so you don't have to pay for shipping frequently.
Jan 20, 2010, 4:48pm   #10
alliemia
love shopping!!!
same reason why it's bad to use silicone hair products, it'll dry it out and over time get cracks.
Jan 20, 2010, 11:16pm   #11
s
swatson
Tks, legsieloveslamb! I need to take a better photo as that was taken from my computer's camera.

Ninth - in addition to Y's comments, you can buy the Both Apple Care at Burlington Coat Factory for 5.95$ (leather coat section of the store) and the Apple Gaurde for 4.95$. Always do a small test patch - obviously, somewhere innocuous. I use both items on my shoes, and coats in lieu of my bags.

Good luck!

swatson
Jan 21, 2010, 1:46am   #12
n
ninth
^thanks for letting me know about the silicone,
yeah i just managed to get the apple care cleaner second hand + my lovin bag leather treatment kit for less than half the original price...
thought that i would try bonanzle...and lucky me there was one listing
seller is in Canada so i should get it within a couple days, hopefully my bag won't dry out too much before then

there's no Burlington Coat Factory in Canada...i dont think...at least there isn't one where i live...
Americans have all the good stores....i have to basically get everything online...and then i have to pay duties/taxes
POST A REPLY
  HOME > > >