Home The Playground Home & Garden

My New Walk In Closet (in the making)!

POST A REPLY

Mar 12, 2013, 7:21am   #1
So we have this small room that is attached to our master bedroom, that is currently being used as a playroom. It's a very odd layout because the previous owners put an addition on the house, so this room has two doors, one going out to a hallway & one going into our bedroom. I have always wanted to eventually turn it into a walk in closet, and now it's finally happening! We will be moving the playroom to another (larger) room, so no worries there

Here is the current room, my boys playroom:

We are trying to do this on a budget, so no custom cabinetry here. We went with the Martha Stewart Living Closet Collection from Home Depot, and hubby will be installing it himself (wish him luck!). We will start painting this weekend, and I will update this thread often with our progress. I am hoping to be done by the end of the month!
Mar 12, 2013, 7:31am   #2
We are doing the same paint color as the bedroom, to tie everything together, and I may even remove the door from the bedroom to this room, as it won't really be necessary, still undecided about that.

This is the only picture I happen to have of the paint color & trim:

And the cabinetry is white:

We have 2 of these starter kits, one on each side of the room, plus additions. The right side (where there's currently a bookcase and chalkboard decal) will have additional floor to ceiling corner shelves & will be used for handbags. The left side will have floor to ceiling slanted shoe shelving in the middle.
Mar 12, 2013, 7:39am   #3
And the most exciting part for me, decor! Interior design is like my second love after handbags, so this one will be extra fun.

I ordered this flush mount chandelier from overstock.com:

And this white sheepskin/faux fur rug from overstock.com:

I got it in 5x8 and now will be on the lookout for a large ottoman or chaise lounge, I think I'll be able to find something at Home Goods or TJ's.
Mar 12, 2013, 10:27am   #4
Your choices are amazing! Can't wait to see the completed pic!
Mar 12, 2013, 11:17am   #5
Originally Posted by bakeacookie
Your choices are amazing! Can't wait to see the completed pic!
Thanks
Mar 12, 2013, 12:18pm   #6
Eeek - it's a mouse!
Will be following this thread! Love your choices so far -- especially that chandelier!
Mar 12, 2013, 12:27pm   #7
Lovin' Life!
How exciting! Can't wait to see your progress and finished closet!
Mar 12, 2013, 1:49pm   #8
Doberhuahua!
Can't wait to see more pics of this awesome project!
Mar 12, 2013, 3:36pm   #9
Thanks guys! Just got back from home depot, picked up the paint & new electrical outlet covers (not so exciting), will update this weekend after painting begins!
Mar 12, 2013, 6:35pm   #10
~Happy Tot~
YAY!!! How exciting! I'd love to turn my son's playroom into my closet later and hubby and I have even discussed it so I'm extra interested to see your progress. I love the chandelier you've chosen and the rug looks so chic and snuggly!! I'm looking forward to checking back often
Mar 12, 2013, 8:15pm   #11
n
Great choices! I love decorating threads.
Mar 12, 2013, 9:09pm   #12
Congratulations, how exciting. I love the idea of turning a spare adjoining room into a WIC. I look forward to seeing pics of the progress.
Mar 12, 2013, 10:45pm   #13
Louie Stalker
Looks great!!! We are remodeling our walk in closet this month too (but at earlier stages than you - haven't even picked paint yet or a closet organizer) and I am on the lookout for ideas for a chandelier... your picks for the decor are excellent! I especially love the chandelier.
Mar 12, 2013, 10:46pm   #14
Louie Stalker
Have you thought about using white Billy bookcases with glass doors from IKEA for the handbags? that might be a nice alternative to open shelving, they are budget friendly!
Mar 13, 2013, 4:01am   #15
Sounds like a great project. The chandelier is gorgeous.
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Home & Garden