Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

looking inward

POST A REPLY

Nov 12, 2007, 6:02pm   #1
f
favorhermes
Do you ever feel guilty about buying hermes? The bags are undeniably expensive and I think we all have experienced what an obsession it can become. Do your friends or husbands ever get annoyed with your shallow obsessing? Do you ever have buyers remorse? discuss:
Nov 12, 2007, 6:08pm   #2
Rose
Pay it Forward
No....but then I only shallowly obsess with my tPF pals! I don't fell the least bit guilty about buying anything (Hermes of not) or returning anything if am not completely satisfied.
Nov 12, 2007, 6:10pm   #3
Kelly_Birkin
Bolduc Ribbon Girl
favorhermes, I don't have a husband, and that wouldn't matter because I'm saving for my first (and hopefully not last) H bag with my own money. Because I'm reading all about leathers and colors, I won't be having any buyers remorse. That's why it's important to not settle-for. Buy your dream bag. :)
Nov 12, 2007, 6:37pm   #4
S'Mom
Resistance is Futile
No remorse for me.....I've purchase every piece with my own money and all after I've taken care of everyone else first. Life is short and time flies.....I've been a nuturing and compassionate mother (and that never stops), a caring and loving SO, a dutiful daughter. Time for me now.....no regrets or remorse.
Nov 12, 2007, 7:43pm   #5
lizavet8
"Ruffian"
Yes, if I really think about it, what I pay for H bags gives me pause.....but like the ladies above, it's something I do for me only, I've paid a few dues in life that were hard, and if a couple of expensive bags makes me feel better, so be it. For God's sake, I had to give up tanning, smoking, carousing and everything else...leave me the Hermes.
Nov 12, 2007, 7:47pm   #6
amytude
Yes, which is precisely why I haven't purchased one as yet. Then again, I am the world's worst saver. If I just could just cut & use coupons, cut back my starbucks, makeup shopping (another "hobby"), and other small costs that add up, I would probably be able to have the cash for a bag in a year or less. It's also hard when I think of how much therapy an H bag would give my son with autism. Still, I dream of my own Kelly someday...

Amy
Nov 12, 2007, 7:48pm   #7
amamxr
Account Deactivated
Originally Posted by favorhermes
Do you ever feel guilty about buying hermes? The bags are undeniably expensive and I think we all have experienced what an obsession it can become. Do your friends or husbands ever get annoyed with your shallow obsessing? Do you ever have buyers remorse? discuss:

Actually, I don't flaunt my handbags to my friends IRL. I go about carrying them under the radar. I don't shallow obsess with my friends IRL about my handbags either and lastly I don't have buyers remorse. So I guess that sums it all up to no I don't feel guilty at all because I have earned it so my DH says!!
Nov 12, 2007, 7:55pm   #8
r
razorbackbelle0
Account Deactivated
Well none of my friends know my new bag is H.... and my SO thinks I'm crazy.... and he hates tPF... sometimes I feel like I don't really deserve to carry H, but it's just such an amazing brand
Nov 12, 2007, 7:55pm   #9
Encore Hermes
·...¸><((((º>·´¯`·.
The bags are expensive but I don't feel guilty making a bag purchase because of their longevity. With reasonable care they last decades. I do feel some guilt with a couple of the bags I purchased when I was younger and I didn't treat them as well as I do now (what spa?, scratched hardware, corners really rubbed).
My husband got annoyed when I asked him to take off his wedding band and rub the box kelly because he has more oil on his skin and I'm trying to hasten the patina.
Nov 12, 2007, 8:44pm   #10
f
favorhermes
Originally Posted by razorbackbelle0
Well none of my friends know my new bag is H.... and my SO thinks I'm crazy.... and he hates tPF... sometimes I feel like I don't really deserve to carry H, but it's just such an amazing brand

which H bag do you have? I like how many of their bags are unrecognizable.
Nov 12, 2007, 8:45pm   #11
Kelly Kelly
I don't feel guilty about saving for and buying anything from Hermes but I do feel very lucky that I can occasionally buy something for myself or my mother or sisters. I feel lucky because, like haute couture (which I can't afford) there are so few things that are handmade with the kind of craftsmanship that Hermes has. I really feel quilty about all the stuff that I have bought that ends up in my garage or in the trash after one or two uses or times in the washing machine that I really didn't need or want anyway. Hermes has actually helped me cut down on all that kind of shopping.
Nov 12, 2007, 8:46pm   #12
Haute Couturess
Black CDC Kelly pls!
a year ago i would have said no but this year i bought more than a few exotics and i am starting to feel not guilt for buying what i love but a little bit of guilt for shelling out so much cash. there's no question in my mind that i deserve every one of them...but there are other things i could have spent the $ on or put it into investments. i know it's its own investment in a way and that i get lots of use out of them, i use them every day literally sometimes two or three in a day, but still, the total when added up is staggering. in the same breath if i had to give up more than one or two of them i'd probably turn into the wicked witch of the east LOL. luckily nobody feeds into my guilt. i do it all on my own. stay tuned...no action planned so far except this coming year will likely be less extravagant. no stockpiling.
Nov 12, 2007, 8:46pm   #13
r
razorbackbelle0
Account Deactivated
favorhermes, it's a Herbag I just feel so lucky to have an H bag at my age. It makes me really thankful for a lot of things.
Nov 12, 2007, 8:58pm   #14
Grande Latte
I feel guilty every time I look at my bag. Thinking about people who can't feed their families, or sick people who can't afford healthcare, I wonder what gives me the right to own such an expensive bag. Many of my girlfriends who come from wealthy families or make more $$$ than I do, don't yet own a birkin.

Yet, I feel eerily happy when I stroll the premier department stores and boutiques, or just having lunch around town. I like how they're instantly recognizable at all the upscale places, and remain anonymous rest of the places.
Nov 12, 2007, 9:04pm   #15
f
favorhermes
Originally Posted by razorbackbelle0
favorhermes, it's a Herbag I just feel so lucky to have an H bag at my age. It makes me really thankful for a lot of things.

Congratulations on your first bag! Enjoy "her"
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >