POST A REPLY

Sep 9, 2006, 2:44pm   #1
Orange crush
Since so many questions have been popping up recently regarding vintage Hermes items. I've compiled a few tidbits regarding markings and labels of vintage Hermes.

Hermes labels throughout the years. Please scroll down the page to find the Hermes listings:
http://www.vintagefashionguild.org/l...=H&mode=search

Hermes stamps:
This stamp appeared on bags approximately before 1959 (please don't quote me on this as I've encountered conflicting reports as to the exact year)

This stamp appeared after the previous label was retired and was used until approximately 1970:

The current stamp (Please note this is natural stamp and appears on some leathers such as chamonix, vache natural, and in this case peau porc lisse. It is usually done to match the hardware):

H zipperstop (First appeared in 2001 and not found in all bags):

Hermes zippers:
From a bag purchased in 1960:

From bag made in 1979:

From bag made in 1992:

Current year:
Sep 9, 2006, 3:43pm   #2
jag
This is an excellent reference thread!
Sep 9, 2006, 4:03pm   #3
SofaKing PuertoRican
Man, I love you! Thanks,.. I really needed to know abou tzippers because they are always appearing on eBay and I'm always guessing myself on the authenticity.
Sep 9, 2006, 4:45pm   #4
K
Like I said on the other thread...we all love HG...great info! ^^

Thank you.
Sep 9, 2006, 4:51pm   #5
Seeking Simplicity
HG, you are the best. You know so much. Thank you for sharing this information with us.
Sep 9, 2006, 6:55pm   #6
t
Great info as always HG. Thanks for sharing.
Do you know anything about a "Newey" zipper in a vintage Bolide bag?
Apparently "Newey Bros Ltd" existed in Birmingham England until 1934.(Don't know if they made zippers)
I have been trying to research this and have sent emails to England. (The English are sooo good at archives, so maybe one day I will hear something). In the meantime, any info would be much appreciated!
Sep 9, 2006, 7:36pm   #7
Orange crush
^^^^Temo as far as I've known they've used Eclair. The YKK zipper above took me by surprise. I've also seen riri on the smaller items used currently. If you look at the picture below, it is a picture of the prototype that Emile Hermes brought back to France. If you enlarge the picture, the writing on the book indicates that it is an Eclair zipper. Is it possible the zipper on the Bolide was replaced?

Sep 9, 2006, 7:49pm   #8
t
Anything's possible. The Zipper looks very very old however. Gold in color (brass I suppose) Seems to be a mystery.
I wish I could get this bag to an Hermes boutique. Nearest one is 5 hours away, so one day. . .
In the meantime . . . I'll just keep on searching and researching . . .
Sep 9, 2006, 9:24pm   #9
HG, what a great thread! I am constantly amazed at how much Hermes knowledge you've amassed. Thank you so much!
Sep 9, 2006, 11:45pm   #10
This is wonderful and very helpful. Thanks HG!
Sep 9, 2006, 11:49pm   #11
You are a walking encyclopedia of Hermes information. You're awesome. Thanks for all these info
Sep 10, 2006, 12:19am   #12
H.O.P Mommy
Great info! Thank you HG!
Sep 10, 2006, 12:35am   #13
Orangina
HG - Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge! My zipper matches the picture from 1992 and I have the single rings on the handle...
Sep 10, 2006, 1:48am   #14
Orange crush
More pics:

Zipper pull
Bag made in 1959:

Kelly rings
Bag made in 1992:

Bag made in 2006 (the double ring appeared around 2000-2001):

Variations in clasps
Bag made in 1983:

Bag made in 2006:

Hardware stamps