Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
POST A REPLY

Aug 12, 2012, 1:51am   #1381
darkangel07760
metalhead
Originally Posted by thefeebster
Same with me. My studio doesn't call it Bikrams and has some variations to that series, but I've still practiced in that hot room for over 100 times this year alone. Never have I seen a heatstroke or someone passing out or puke.

But that said, I still remember my first time. It was honestly a bit difficult and I probably went into it a bit naive. I didn't drink much water and the dehydration/dizzyness/black stars came about half way into a 90 minute class. But since they tell you to just lay down if you get lightheaded, i simply laid there in Svasana for like 25 minutes until it went away! That's all you can really do and just think of it as relaxing in a big sauna. One of my instructors says that on average it takes about 7 practices for someone to fully adjust to the heat. But i'd say it took about 3 to get really comfortable for me at least.

Just drink enough water. I drink about 3 litres 15 minutes before class now, one of my instructors recommends 4 litres but i just cannot contain that much water! But i felt doing this helped me the most in managing the heat.
Thank you for your thoughts! I was doing 50% hot yoga and 50% warm yoga and yes my first hot yoga class was tough so I know what you mean.
Aug 13, 2012, 8:53am   #1382
simmmchen
✯ mathemagician ✯
Originally Posted by darkangel07760
Thank you I feel a lot better reading this from a bikram pro! I was reading people's blogs... I don't recall if they had prepped or not.
I will be doing a bikram class starting on monday. It will have been 2 weeks since I have attended any yoga classes, due to my schedule and due to the closing of my studio, so I am excited/nervous!
No problem! Have a good class today You'll be fine!

Remember, focus on a calm nose breath to keep you calm. If you feel like you have to gasp for air/breathe through your mouth, take a break by sitting down or (in the floor series) laying in Savasana until you're ready to join back in.

If you can, take another class tomorrow or Wednesday. Your body will get used to the heat in no time
Aug 13, 2012, 1:03pm   #1383
gre8dane
So Proud!!
Originally Posted by simmmchen
This is kind of odd, because licensed Bikram studios are not allowed to offer non-Bikram classes per their license agreement.

Getting used to the intensity: there really isn't a shortcut to this. To get used to the heat, it is best to come at least 3-4 times per week. If you can swing it, come a few days in a row. The reason this works is that your body will remember what it has to do to manage the heat. When you take a break, it forgets again!

To get used to the challenging postures and length of class, you "just" have to build up your endurance. The answer is similar, there is no shortcut, you jsut have to come regularly. I have been practicing Bikram for almost two years and when I do not come to class 3-4 times per week, most classes are a struggle. 3-4 times per week seems to be the magic number for most people.

Also, in yoga as in life, the following tips will make everything easier:
- breath calmly, in and out through the nose (except during the breathing exercised at the beginning and end). Calm nose breathing will calm your heart rate and take away the stress.
- take breaks as needed. If you cannot breath calmly through your nose, if you feel like you need to gasp for air through your mouth, it is time for a break! Join back in when you have calmed down.
- do not fidget. Fidgeting, wiping the sweat, etc is wasted energy. Always try to find stillness, between and also during the postures. Your heart rate will thank you

I hope this will help you during your next Bikram class!
I was introduced to Bikram in June & I LOVE it! I go 3x a week now. I was advised the same as above prior to my first class and it helped tremendously! LOL at "You're gonna' get heat stroke!" - my Mom said the same to me! I could not find too much after a search and the owner of my studio (11 years old) said he's called 911 3x for people who threw their backs likely due to no engaging their core.
Aug 13, 2012, 1:18pm   #1384
simmmchen
✯ mathemagician ✯
Originally Posted by gre8dane
I was introduced to Bikram in June & I LOVE it! I go 3x a week now. I was advised the same as above prior to my first class and it helped tremendously! LOL at "You're gonna' get heat stroke!" - my Mom said the same to me! I could not find too much after a search and the owner of my studio (11 years old) said he's called 911 3x for people who threw their backs likely due to no engaging their core.
Yay! Glad to see another Bikram fan

I think people say they had "heat stroke" and really only had some dehydration/stress issues like headache, shivering, dizziness, etc. Like people saying they have the flu (= influenza), but actually only have the common cold (= flu-like symptoms, but not life-threatening).

Heat stroke is pretty serious and also has serious symptoms like cramps in stomach/arms/legs, high body temp, lack of sweating, nausea/vomiting, rapid breathing & heart rate, headache, confusion, unconsciousness. I have never heard of this in regards to Bikram yoga, not even the body cramps which (according to a quick google search) come before the actual heat stroke.

Either way, YAY Bikram! I'm taking class later today and looking forward to it! I've gotten back in the swing of going 3-4 times per week and it's feeling GOOD again
Aug 13, 2012, 4:44pm   #1385
winterpearls3
Bikram yoga!
Aug 14, 2012, 1:34am   #1386
darkangel07760
metalhead
No problem! Have a good class today You'll be fine!

Remember, focus on a calm nose breath to keep you calm. If you feel like you have to gasp for air/breathe through your mouth, take a break by sitting down or (in the floor series) laying in Savasana until you're ready to join back in.

If you can, take another class tomorrow or Wednesday. Your body will get used to the heat in no time
Today went quite well!
I did have to sit out a few poses. I didnt get short of breath, but i felt my face get very hot, so i took that as a sign to sit and chill for a bit.
They hand out chilled lavender scented cloths for your face during savasana which is awesome. I then took a nice shower which was fully stocked with Origins products.
I think i might end up really liking this studio.
Aug 14, 2012, 2:33am   #1387
p
perrycarter12
nothing can be better then doing yoga... yoga keeps you chill and calm all the day and give you positive energy. best way of getting the peace of minds..
Aug 14, 2012, 1:42pm   #1388
gre8dane
So Proud!!
Yay! Glad to see another Bikram fan

Heat stroke is pretty serious and also has serious symptoms like cramps in stomach/arms/legs, high body temp, lack of sweating, nausea/vomiting, rapid breathing & heart rate, headache, confusion, unconsciousness. I have never heard of this in regards to Bikram yoga, not even the body cramps which (according to a quick google search) come before the actual heat stroke.

Either way, YAY Bikram! I'm taking class later today and looking forward to it! I've gotten back in the swing of going 3-4 times per week and it's feeling GOOD again
Ha!!! NEVER a lack of sweat!!!

As much as I love to lift weights and run, there is je-ne-sais-pas *something* about Bikram Yoga that has me absolutely LOVING it and singing its praises (probably irritatingly) to everyone!! I can't express it properly especially since I am always wondering "WTH am I doing here??" during Half Moon Pose! I've always wanted to try yoga, a dvd was a fail and BY is a great intro to yoga, although I don't know if I'm interested in expanding/trying other yoga styles.

Today went quite well!
I did have to sit out a few poses. I didnt get short of breath, but i felt my face get very hot, so i took that as a sign to sit and chill for a bit.
They hand out chilled lavender scented cloths for your face during savasana which is awesome. I then took a nice shower which was fully stocked with Origins products.
I think i might end up really liking this studio.
I had to travel & googled BY studios to attend while gone & it is interesting how different the studios are. My studio has foam rollers, exercise balls & stretching straps to help with poses. The instructor will pass out Gatorade, water & ice packs during a class from a small fridge to those in need. People will bring their purses into the studio to put on the back shelf. When I traveled, no fridge, no exercise aids, nothing but mat & water in the studio & my co-worker was kindly reprimanded for using her small towel during one of the poses!

Originally Posted by perrycarter12
nothing can be better then doing yoga... yoga keeps you chill and calm all the day and give you positive energy. best way of getting the peace of minds..
Someone told me last week that I'm more calm since beginning yoga and my family confirmed it.
Aug 15, 2012, 12:15am   #1389
darkangel07760
metalhead
Originally Posted by gre8dane
I had to travel & googled BY studios to attend while gone & it is interesting how different the studios are. My studio has foam rollers, exercise balls & stretching straps to help with poses. The instructor will pass out Gatorade, water & ice packs during a class from a small fridge to those in need. People will bring their purses into the studio to put on the back shelf. When I traveled, no fridge, no exercise aids, nothing but mat & water in the studio & my co-worker was kindly reprimanded for using her small towel during one of the poses!
Wow I guess I lucked out! Good to know that I have a pretty chill studio :)
Aug 15, 2012, 12:31am   #1390
darkangel07760
metalhead
So I wear my love bracelet in Bikram and it doesn't seem to bother me too much. Does anyone wear any jewelry in bikram? i have a collar-type necklace that I haven't worn recently because I wasn't sure if it would be too hot. i sorta felt like my bracelet had heated up... maybe i was just imagining things.
Aug 15, 2012, 8:57am   #1391
simmmchen
✯ mathemagician ✯
So I wear my love bracelet in Bikram and it doesn't seem to bother me too much. Does anyone wear any jewelry in bikram? i have a collar-type necklace that I haven't worn recently because I wasn't sure if it would be too hot. i sorta felt like my bracelet had heated up... maybe i was just imagining things.
Jewelery that does not sit directly on your skin at all times can warm up, but it shouldn't warm up to where it would burn your skin. If it doesn't bother you and the studio does not mind, continue to wear it.

I find that I worry about jewelery in class, so I always take everything off. For example I have a tennis bracelet I wear every day, but when we lay on our arms like in Half Locust I worry about breaking/damaging the links. Even small earrings bug me in Savasana on the belly. Similarly my necklace/rings just bug me in postures, so I end up taking everything off.
Aug 15, 2012, 10:57am   #1392
darkangel07760
metalhead
Jewelery that does not sit directly on your skin at all times can warm up, but it shouldn't warm up to where it would burn your skin. If it doesn't bother you and the studio does not mind, continue to wear it.

I find that I worry about jewelery in class, so I always take everything off. For example I have a tennis bracelet I wear every day, but when we lay on our arms like in Half Locust I worry about breaking/damaging the links. Even small earrings bug me in Savasana on the belly. Similarly my necklace/rings just bug me in postures, so I end up taking everything off.
I usually take whatever I can off. I don't wear anything that jingles or dangles. My love bracelet is screwed on, so that one stays on! Hopefully it won't interfere with locust.
Aug 15, 2012, 1:48pm   #1393
simmmchen
✯ mathemagician ✯
I usually take whatever I can off. I don't wear anything that jingles or dangles. My love bracelet is screwed on, so that one stays on! Hopefully it won't interfere with locust.
Wow, I didn't know that it's screwed on
Aug 16, 2012, 3:53am   #1394
darkangel07760
metalhead
Wow, I didn't know that it's screwed on
Lol yep! Mine is white gold, my SO has a yellow gold one.
Aug 16, 2012, 9:21am   #1395
ladysarah
here is a link about 'what to wear for yoga' and what not to wear... it says no jewellery though. http://www.yogaprogramme.co.uk/home/...-wear-for-yoga

what to wear for yoga
... so you found your yoga class, you bought the yoga mat and now its time to sort out the yoga wardrobe. Read on how to put together the best possible ensemble:

What to wear for yoga

• Wear something comfortable and close fitting that allows a full range of movement. ie leggings and a sleeveless vest. Ladies could, if they want to, choose a top with an inbuilt bra for extra support. The point is to learn to breathe fully, so avoid underwired bras or anything too restrictive.

• Sweating is a natural and desirable byproduct of the practice, so wear something light to let the skin breathe. Just wear your yoga outfit once before you wash it. Otherwise it can develop an unpleasant odour, which may not be detectable to you, but it will be to those around you.

• Cotton is good, but there are other fabrics nowadays with a little bit of a strech which can be even better.

• We practice yoga in bare feet. A pair of clean socks can be nice (though not essential) during relaxation (savasana) .

• Bring an extra layer, (ie a hoody) or a pashmina shawl to wear at the end to relax. The idea is one creates internal heat and lifeforce at the beginning of the practice; and during savasana retains that heat and allows the energy to become reintigrated into the body. I use the same pashmina shawl since I started yoga, love how it has absorbed 'good vibes' over the years.

• Have enough yoga clothes, to wear a freshly washed set each time you go on the mat.

What not to wear for Yoga

• Baggy tops and bottoms with lots of extra folds, zips, belts or buttons. Anything too loose, will interfere with your practice. Ideally the teacher should be able to see how the body moves.

• Old, baggy, paint splashed sweats. (yes I have seen people come to class in those) Yoga is an ancient practice designed to lead to the path of wisdom, it is inappropriate to wear ones decorating/gardening outfit to practise. I should not need to say that, but at the other end of the spectrum, no one should feel obliged to buy expensive, 'designer' yoga gear.

• Anything not freshly washed! Disrespectful to oneself as well as everyone around us.

• Loose shorts with no underwear. I mean really guys - what are you thinking? You will be uncomfortable; and so will everyone around you!

• Anything too skimpy or see-through. I often do my practice wearing fitted shorts as I find them comfortable in warm weather. Please use common sense and make the distinction between shorts and bikini bottoms. (or bra tops!)

• Lots of jewellery. Personally, I do not wear any jewellery at all, during practice. Most people find it ok with a ring or two and may be a discreet bracelet. Dangly earrings, large pendants and armloads of bangles will distract the mind from the practice and possibly cause physical discomfort.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >