Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

What is a normal/healthy breakfast, lunch, dinner for a person trying to lose weight?

POST A REPLY

Jan 30, 2010, 5:40pm   #1
serafina
It looks like im sabotaging my own weight loss efforts by not eating nearly enough and not eating constantly each day. I could go 8+ hrs without eating things sometimes, and even more, it feels like a chore eating things.

All of that seems to have contributed to a reverse - I actually GAINED weight it seems ever since my sensible eating and exercise stint started

Im basically following the subway diet with tweaks... like Im having breakfast and not eating 1 1/2 footlongs a day.... its basically 1/2 a footlong that I eat the entire day.... but I add things like fruits and nuts here and there... I dont understand how that dude lost so much weight eating so little and here I am doing the same thing and its backfiring!

Can someone PLEASE tell me what a normal breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks would consist of?
Jan 30, 2010, 8:13pm   #2
merika
Wol
I would go with counting calories of things you eat. It's what you eat, as well as the amounts you eat. Going hungry is never a good option, it's better to not be hungry. At least for me personally, if I am eating right I don't get cravings and I don't feel hungry at all, and I lose weight too.

For breakfast I try not to eat sugary cereal and stuff, but a sandwich made with some turkey - maybe 3 oz or so of meat. For snacks I eat rice crackers, 1 serving of which is about 100cal. I also eat baby carrots with fat free dip or celery. Lunch is a salad, tuna, chicken - a mix of all the food groups where I weight the food and calculate the number of calories. I made an account at http://caloriecount.about.com/ which is free and calculates the amount of calories if you give it the food and the quantities.

Dinner is basically much like lunch. I try to avoid deep fried foods, chocolate and use an artificial sweetener instead of sugar. I don't like artificial sweeteners, but like my tea/coffee very sweet and with the amount of sugar I used I had sugar highs and lows which played havoc with my eating habits.
Jan 30, 2010, 8:17pm   #3
m
mibrahi3
:)
Originally Posted by merika
I would go with counting calories of things you eat. It's what you eat, as well as the amounts you eat. Going hungry is never a good option, it's better to not be hungry. At least for me personally, if I am eating right I don't get cravings and I don't feel hungry at all, and I lose weight too.

For breakfast I try not to eat sugary cereal and stuff, but a sandwich made with some turkey - maybe 3 oz or so of meat. For snacks I eat rice crackers, 1 serving of which is about 100cal. I also eat baby carrots with fat free dip or celery. Lunch is a salad, tuna, chicken - a mix of all the food groups where I weight the food and calculate the number of calories. I made an account at http://caloriecount.about.com/ which is free and calculates the amount of calories if you give it the food and the quantities.

Dinner is basically much like lunch. I try to avoid deep fried foods, chocolate and use an artificial sweetener instead of sugar. I don't like artificial sweeteners, but like my tea/coffee very sweet and with the amount of sugar I used I had sugar highs and lows which played havoc with my eating habits.
I second this. It is extremely helpful to count what you are eating (for me at least). If you have an iPhone, you can download a program to help you input your calories.
Feb 1, 2010, 12:42pm   #4
m
missme411
Account Deactivated
You can count points like weight watchers. I have a copy of a sliding scale that gives you a point number based on calories, fat, and fiber. I prefer that to counting calories in general because you can balance the diet. And if you ad a fiber (flack seed?) to the food (great in a salad) you can reduce the point based on fiber intake.

Just don't starve yourself. (Not that I'm in any position to be giving advice!) I was told that if you skip a meal, your body stores the entire next meal as fat because it is confused. Not sure if that's true, but skipping meals isn't healthy anyway.
Feb 1, 2010, 12:52pm   #5
lily25
UNMUTUAL
A healthy meal plan varies from person to person, it really depends on many things daily calorie requirements for your size build and age, lifestyle habits, if you have a medical condition like diabetes, your activity levels even whether your parents are overweight or not.
You must make sure you are healthy so schedule a check up, and then go to a nutritionist.
Feb 1, 2010, 1:09pm   #6
natmk28
Originally Posted by lily25
A healthy meal plan varies from person to person, it really depends on many things daily calorie requirements for your size build and age, lifestyle habits, if you have a medical condition like diabetes, your activity levels even whether your parents are overweight or not.
You must make sure you are healthy so schedule a check up, and then go to a nutritionist.

ditto- on everything but the nutrionist, you don't NEED to see one to lose weight.

I'd start by trying a 350-400 calorie breakfast-look for a calorie country website you like, fitday.com and caloricounter.com (I think thats the right website at least, are both good. Try that out for a few weeks and see how it works for you (you still have to eat enough, often enough, healthy enough, etc, the rest of the day) but for breakfast here are my favs:

2 hardboiled egg whites, 1 hardboiled egg, multigrain toast and a piece of fruit (orange, apple, banana, whatever) (this is just under 300 calories I think)

greek yogurt with honey, berries and almonds and/or granola (how many calories is in this is going to vary on how much yogurt/granola etc you opt to eat)

oatmeal with apple or pear mixed in and pecans or almonds as well (and tons of cinnamon) (my portion is about 350 calories- I do one piece of fruit, 1 packet oatmeal and like 10 nuts)

2 scrambled egg whites 1 scrambled whole egg (obvi mixed together) 1 piece of center cut bacon, 1 piece of toast and some berries. (approx 300 calories)

hope that helps give you an idea :)
Feb 1, 2010, 1:31pm   #7
AAA07
True Gemini
Yes, this is a question that really depends on the individual. Doing a little "googling" helps. And there are sooooo many great cookbooks out there! I have a lot of "diet" cookbooks, but I don't like a lot of the food - no matter how good it is for you. Also, if you have the time/money seeing a RD would be nice.
Feb 2, 2010, 8:43pm   #8
SunglassLove
Troublemaker!
Here's what I ate today... I believe it's pretty darn good considering I had to bring my lunch from home.

1 whole egg, 1 egg white over easy with 2 slices low cal wheat toast, coffee w/ a splash of cream and splenda (Approx. 250 cals)

Lean Cuisine chicken broc alfredo for lunch, water bottle (300 cals)

Orange (120?), small handful vanilla yogurt covered raisins (140), water bottle

Little bit of pulled pork, 1 tbls BBQ sauce, 1 slice provolone cheese on toasted rye (Approx. 450... probably less since my dear SO stole bite after bite of it!) and a serving of potato chips (100), water bottle

All together it's just under 1500 cals being generous. I'm going to the gym in about 20 minutes to do 30 min. on the elliptical and either do some HIIT or just running on the treadmill.

I'm done dieting... just practicing my balancing act and portion control... everything in moderation. It's been working well for me. :)
Feb 2, 2010, 10:21pm   #9
ambicion6
carbaholic
This is something my trainer gave me as a sample meal plan.

Sample Meal Menu

Breakfast Options (Choose One)
Multi-vitamins
• 3/4 cup Kashi cereal w/ non-fat or low fat/soy milk and sliced strawberries or blueberries
• ½ cup oatmeal with one scoop of protein powder
• Three egg white omelet filled with vegetables, with berries on the side
• 2 egg white scrambled, with ½ cup oatmeal
• ½ whole wheat English muffin with 1 whole egg with sliced tomatoes and steamed spinach
• Protein Shake – 1 scoop protein powder, water, and frozen/fresh berries
• Breakfast burrito (small whole wheat or multi-grain tortilla) with 2 egg white scrambled, ½ cup green, red, yellow peppers, 1/4 cup of black beans and salsa

Snack Options – 3 hours later (Choose One)
• Dannon Light & Fit Carb & Sugar Control Yogurt or Non-fat or low-fat plain yogurt with sliced berries on top
• ¾ cup of homemade vegetable soup
• 1 apple and 1 piece string cheese
• 1 piece of fruit and 12 of cashews, almonds or peanuts (skip the salt or dry roasted)
• 1 cup vegetables and ¼ cup hummus
• 1 slice deli meat and 1 piece of fruit
• 2 celery stalks filled with cottage cheese or almond butter

Lunch Options (Choose One)
• Salad with 4 oz. of any protein (chicken, turkey or tuna)
• 4-6 oz. chicken with ¼ to ½ cup brown rice and 1 cup of vegetables
• 4-6 oz. chicken with ½ a sweet potato and vegetables
• ½ can of tuna (rinsed out!)with ½ bag of spinach leaves, lots of colored vegetables, ½ a yam and balsamic vinaigrette
• 4-6 oz. steak fajitas with lots of vegetables, 1 corn tortilla, ¼ (small serving) of black beans
• Turkey burger (white meat) – without a bun, top with vegetables, a side salad
• 1 cup of turkey chili and a side salad

• Non-fat or low-fat yogurt with sliced berries on top
• ½ can of tuna (rinsed out!)with ½ cup of spinach leaves or
lots of colored vegetables with a 2 teaspoons of balsamic vinaigrette
• 1 cup vegetables and ½ cup hummus
• A piece of fruit and 12 almonds (cashews, almonds or peanuts - skip the salt or dry roasted)
• 2-3 slices deli meat (sliced thin) and 1 handful of grapes

Dinner Options (Choose One)
• 4 oz. chicken, with salad and ½ cup asparagus
• 4 oz. steak and side salad (steak only once per week)
• Sushi – one roll (any) and one order of sashimi, plus a salad and edamame
• 4 oz. of Grilled Shrimp and ½ cup grilled zucchini
• Egg White Frittata (add your favorite vegetables, i.e. broccoli or peppers with salad
• 4 oz. grilled salmon, side salad w/balsamic vinaigrette and ½ cup steamed broccoli
• 4 oz. turkey breast, and with ½ sweet potato or yam

*1 cheat meal a week (whatever you are carving is a good idea) –Make sure workout is on your cheat meal day.

Tips
• Spice up your oatmeal with cinnamon and/or nutmeg
• Use fresh lemon, lime or cucumber in your water (cut up into small pieces)
or add crystal light to change it up
• Having a sweet carving at night? Try sugar free hot chocolate, with water or soy milk or 1 sugar-free Fudgesicle
• Ask for cooking spray when ordering out
• Spilt serving size into half and put in a to-go box when dinning out or spilt it with someone

Counting calories never been easier:
• The size of your fist is roughly equal to a 1/2 – 3/4 cup of carbohydrates: size serving of cereal, wild rice, black beans, etc.
• The size of your thumb is roughly equal to an ounce-size serving of cheese.
• The center of your palm of your hand, without fingers, is roughly equal to a 3 -4 ounces of protein: serving of fish, chicken, beef, and so on.

Final thoughts:
• Drink a minimum of 64 oz of water a day, (spilt them into separate bottles i.e. 2; 32 oz’s
• A after dinner snack is fine, have it early and make it protein.
• Protein bar can be used as a snack replacement (emergencies only)
• Limit alcoholic beverages to 2 drinks per week
Feb 3, 2010, 10:20am   #10
z
zinacef
Ambicion6, thanks for all the info--- you got all these figured up and congrats on your weight loss.
Feb 3, 2010, 12:43pm   #11
Nishi621
Originally Posted by ambicion6
This is something my trainer gave me as a sample meal plan.

Sample Meal Menu

Breakfast Options (Choose One)
Multi-vitamins
• 3/4 cup Kashi cereal w/ non-fat or low fat/soy milk and sliced strawberries or blueberries
• ½ cup oatmeal with one scoop of protein powder
• Three egg white omelet filled with vegetables, with berries on the side
• 2 egg white scrambled, with ½ cup oatmeal
• ½ whole wheat English muffin with 1 whole egg with sliced tomatoes and steamed spinach
• Breakfast burrito (small whole wheat or multi-grain tortilla) with 2 egg white scrambled, ½ cup green, red, yellow peppers, 1/4 cup of black beans and salsa

• Dannon Light & Fit Carb & Sugar Control Yogurt or Non-fat or low-fat plain yogurt with sliced berries on top
• ¾ cup of homemade vegetable soup
• 1 piece of fruit and 12 of cashews, almonds or peanuts (skip the salt or dry roasted)
• 1 cup vegetables and ¼ cup hummus
• 1 slice deli meat and 1 piece of fruit

Lunch Options (Choose One)
• Salad with 4 oz. of any protein (chicken, turkey or tuna)
• 4-6 oz. chicken with ¼ to ½ cup brown rice and 1 cup of vegetables
• 4-6 oz. chicken with ½ a sweet potato and vegetables
• ½ can of tuna (rinsed out!)with ½ bag of spinach leaves, lots of colored vegetables, ½ a yam and balsamic vinaigrette
• 4-6 oz. steak fajitas with lots of vegetables, 1 corn tortilla, ¼ (small serving) of black beans
• Turkey burger (white meat) – without a bun, top with vegetables, a side salad
• 1 cup of turkey chili and a side salad

• Non-fat or low-fat yogurt with sliced berries on top
• ½ can of tuna (rinsed out!)with ½ cup of spinach leaves or
lots of colored vegetables with a 2 teaspoons of balsamic vinaigrette
• 1 cup vegetables and ½ cup hummus
• A piece of fruit and 12 almonds (cashews, almonds or peanuts - skip the salt or dry roasted)
• 2-3 slices deli meat (sliced thin) and 1 handful of grapes

Dinner Options (Choose One)
• 4 oz. chicken, with salad and ½ cup asparagus
• 4 oz. steak and side salad (steak only once per week)
• Sushi – one roll (any) and one order of sashimi, plus a salad and edamame
• 4 oz. of Grilled Shrimp and ½ cup grilled zucchini
• Egg White Frittata (add your favorite vegetables, i.e. broccoli or peppers with salad
• 4 oz. grilled salmon, side salad w/balsamic vinaigrette and ½ cup steamed broccoli
• 4 oz. turkey breast, and with ½ sweet potato or yam

*1 cheat meal a week (whatever you are carving is a good idea) –Make sure workout is on your cheat meal day.

Tips
• Spice up your oatmeal with cinnamon and/or nutmeg
• Use fresh lemon, lime or cucumber in your water (cut up into small pieces)
or add crystal light to change it up
• Having a sweet carving at night? Try sugar free hot chocolate, with water or soy milk or 1 sugar-free Fudgesicle
• Ask for cooking spray when ordering out
• Spilt serving size into half and put in a to-go box when dinning out or spilt it with someone

Counting calories never been easier:
• The size of your fist is roughly equal to a 1/2 – 3/4 cup of carbohydrates: size serving of cereal, wild rice, black beans, etc.
• The size of your thumb is roughly equal to an ounce-size serving of cheese.
• The center of your palm of your hand, without fingers, is roughly equal to a 3 -4 ounces of protein: serving of fish, chicken, beef, and so on.

Final thoughts:
• Drink a minimum of 64 oz of water a day, (spilt them into separate bottles i.e. 2; 32 oz’s
• A after dinner snack is fine, have it early and make it protein.
• Protein bar can be used as a snack replacement (emergencies only)
• Limit alcoholic beverages to 2 drinks per week
Wow, some really good tips here! Thanks! Other than the egg whites (which I hate, ugh!), I like this list

Oh, also, I could never go with just 2 alcoholic beverages a week, would cut out some food first, lol
Last edited Feb 3, 2010 at 12:47pm.
Feb 3, 2010, 1:50pm   #12
charleston-mom
Well, I lost over 100 pounds, so I can try to give you my typical diet, but my calorie count is very low because my metabolism is slow.

Typical day:

Breakfast - 6:00 a.m.: 1 egg scrambled dry, one egg boiled with yolk removed. Coffee
Snack 10:00 a.m. - 1 orange
Lunch 12:00 p.m. - 3 ounces cold boiled shrimp, steamed broccoli, coffee
Snack 3:00 p.m. - 2 ounces Edamame, roasted
Dinner 7:00 p.m. - Either 3-4 ounces of Salmon, broiled flounder, ahi tuna, or shrimp. One Vegetable. Sometimes a glass of white wine (about 2 x's a week).
Snack: - Sugar Free Fruit/Juice Bar
Bedtime - No sugar added hot chocolate
Throughout the day - water, Earl Grey Tea.

I do not eat bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, or simple carbs, but I'm not allowed to have them. I do sometimes have a piece of 85% dark chocolate (the small one at Godiva), and sugar free gum or sugar free cough drops for a taste of something special.

I've maintained my weight loss for 2-1/2 years eating pretty much the same things. It's a little boring, but still worth it. Going from a size 26-28 to a size 0 makes it all worthwhile. I do watch my protein levels and take vitamins and supplements as needed. I do like the Dannon Lite & Fit Yogurt, but I watch the calories and get the really little ones. If there are fresh berries, I try to add those too.

I try to keep the calorie count around 1,200.
Last edited Feb 3, 2010 at 1:55pm.
Feb 3, 2010, 7:31pm   #13
p
princess101804
^o wow, do you also workout?
Feb 3, 2010, 7:50pm   #14
serafina
Thanks for all the tips ambicion! that looks like something I could follow without trouble!

Charleston mom, thats a pretty good menu but Im afraid Im not much of a fish fan! Also 1200 is a pretty goog number, but most places where Ive entered my height weight and age have given me a requirement in the range of 1800-2300 cals per day. That seems like an insane amount but I guess the fact that I work out everyday, 5 days intense workouts at the gym, makes it ok? I dont know. Im still not eating 1800+... trying to keep it between 1400-1600. Going to try that this week and see how it works out for me. Congrats on your weightloss, its awesome that you've kept it off!
Feb 3, 2010, 8:05pm   #15
babypie
serafina how tall are you?
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >