Up To 40% Off

Net-A-Porter

Up To 50% Off Designer Sale

Bloomingdale's

Up to 50% Off Big Brown Bag Sale

ASOS

Black Friday 30% Off With Code: TGIBF
Home > >

Thin but can't get rid of stomach- please help!

POST A REPLY

Jun 2, 2010, 5:23pm   #1
jordanjordan
Hello all,

In the last few years, I've put on 10-15 pounds. Over the last two months I've been doing low impact exercise (pilates, walking) 5-6 days a week. I've also been eating a lot better and have cut my calories back to probably about 2/3 of what I was eating.

I've lost 10 pounds in the last 8 weeks and I'm down to 125, but I am having trouble getting rid of my stomach. I have a little bit of a "bump" where my belly button is and no matter how much ab work and cardio I do it just won't go away! At 5'9", I don't think I can lose more than a few more pounds without looking sickly, so I just don't know what to do at this point.

What am I doing wrong? Is there something I should be doing to specifically target that area?
Jun 2, 2010, 7:54pm   #2
macska
The only way to really get rid of that is cardio. Abs will tone what's underneath, cardio will "melt" the fat.
I find that when I eat too much bread and bread-like things (i.e. things with yeast in them), that I get a bit of a bump, so I've pretty much cut that out of my diet, except on the rare occasion as a "treat".
Jun 2, 2010, 8:27pm   #3
M
MillerRocks
I'm in the same boat. I'm 5'1 and weighed 105 lbs at the begining of the year. I decided to take the depo birthcontrol shot and gained 10 solid lbs. mostly in my belly and hips. I've been working extra hard to loose the weight and nothing has budged. My belly fat wont go away. I agree with macska's advice and cut out the bad carbs and sugar. I find that this tends to bloat my stomache even more.

I feel your irritation and I'm sorry. Hopefully if you up your cardio an extra 15-20 minutes and eat less carbs/sugar you will begin to loose the belly fat. I read that belly fat is the hardest to loose because it is linked directly with your metabolism, when that slows with Meds or age or some type of hormonal change, the fat is stored in the belly.
Perhaps you can do a little research on boosting the metabolism. Like opting for green tea through the morning instead of coffee, and drinking 2 pints of ice cold water immediately after your workout. I have found this to have helped me a little bit. I've lost a centimeter of my belly fat so far in the last month. I know its not a lot but something is better than nothing :)

Good luck.
Jun 2, 2010, 10:37pm   #4
C
ChristyR143
Really?
Yep, less carbs/sugar, more cardio.
Jun 3, 2010, 12:20am   #5
b
brokeshopper
I came here to ask the SAME question! Glad I found this thread.

I'm 5'3" and ~97lbs. I can't get rid of the belly fat + love handles either. It's gotten so bad that the flab shows through lose tops and sweaters.
I really don't want to lose weight, but I'd like a flat stomach!

Can anyone share what kinds of foods you MUST avoid? Sounds like white bread is a big one. What else?
Jun 3, 2010, 12:58am   #6
Charles
Sucks at budgeting
Originally Posted by ChristyR143
Yep, less carbs/sugar, more cardio.
Agree...when she says cardio, I'd recommend HIIT.
Jun 3, 2010, 1:42am   #7
emcosmo1639
Mix your cardio up. Rather than just running one speed for a long distance add some sprints in the mix.
Jun 3, 2010, 4:51am   #8
lily25
UNMUTUAL
Even at my lowest weight as an adult (45 kgs/ 99lbs at 5'6"), the only part of my body that was still with stubborn fat was my stomach, the rest of me was like a skeleton. If you are genetically predisposed to have fat there the only solution in liposuction.
Jun 3, 2010, 10:27am   #9
Bradysmum
Carter and Evan too!
I second HIIT. P90X and 30 Day shred are great.
Jun 3, 2010, 2:27pm   #10
jordanjordan
My stomach has gotten much smaller but there is still a bump. I have never had it before when I was thin, so I don't think I'm predisposed to it.

I am doing as much cardio as is physically possible (I have lupus and overdoing it can land me in bed for 2 days). I do at least an hour a day (5-6 days a week) and I do pilates on the days I don't have the energy for cardio.

Since I'm already underweight, I can realistically only loose 5 more without looking sick. Most people around me have told me to stop now and that if I lose anymore I will look bad, but I'm not happy with my stomach and so I don't know what to do!

Is it possible to lose fat without losing more weight? I know the answer is probably no... but I am disappointed I can't get rid of this last inch!
Jun 3, 2010, 4:41pm   #11
Charles
Sucks at budgeting
Doing more cardio isn't always the best option. Work smart, not hard. Look into high intensity interval training.

When you say it's a bump..what do you mean? Can you pinch it between your fingers and roll it around? How big is this bump? Are you sure it's fat?
Jun 3, 2010, 6:17pm   #12
jordanjordan
Originally Posted by Charles
Doing more cardio isn't always the best option. Work smart, not hard. Look into high intensity interval training.

When you say it's a bump..what do you mean? Can you pinch it between your fingers and roll it around? How big is this bump? Are you sure it's fat?

If I am standing sideways inf ront of the mirror, I can just see like a ) shape instead of | if that makes sense. The top of the curve or "bump" seems to be around my belly button. I can pinch about an inch and it is hard, kind of feeling the same as if I pinch under my arm where people tend to get fat that jiggles when you wave (sorry for the weird image, didn't know how else to describe).

I don't know that I would be able to do high intensity because of my health problem... I think I might end up in bed for 3 days. I am definitely open to variations and more moderate exercises.
Jun 3, 2010, 6:21pm   #13
k
katica
Hmm if you already have low body fat and you're not predisposed to get fat there, I would look into your diet.. some foods and ingredients specifically cause fat to accumulate in that area I've heard. Like high fructose corn syrup, beer and some others I can't remember.
Is it possible it's not fat? Maybe your guts (intestines) are bunched up there or something and push your abs out? I've heard of conditions like that.. Is it soft like fat?
Jun 3, 2010, 7:24pm   #14
jordanjordan
Originally Posted by katica
Hmm if you already have low body fat and you're not predisposed to get fat there, I would look into your diet.. some foods and ingredients specifically cause fat to accumulate in that area I've heard. Like high fructose corn syrup, beer and some others I can't remember.
Is it possible it's not fat? Maybe your guts (intestines) are bunched up there or something and push your abs out? I've heard of conditions like that.. Is it soft like fat?
Really? Like what kind of foods? I do not drink any alcohol and I avoid high fructose corn syrup like the plague. I only drink water. Are there any other foods known to contribute to fat accumulating on the stomach? I would love to know what they are to avoid them!

It's definitely fat, I can feel it. It's not a lot... but it is noticeable if I am wearing a thin tight fitting ****, it almost looks like a little baby bump but a little higher up than where that would normally be (and I'm definitely not pregnant for the record!)
Jun 3, 2010, 8:01pm   #15
C
ChristyR143
Really?
If I were you, I'd knock your cardio back to about 45 minutes tops, but as Charles suggested...high intensity interval training, where you're not just going one speed the whole time. You don't have to spend an hour to get a good cardio workout in. And take a real hard look at your diet. If you'll adhere to a south beach-esque style diet (lots of lean proteins and veggies, healthy fats in moderation, and only low glycemic carbs) I'd be willing to bet you'll see that little bump go down in no time.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >