Home Body - Mind - Wellness Health and Fitness

Spotty Brown discharge right before starting period?

POST A REPLY

Nov 16, 2008, 7:02pm   #1
Shop. Spend. Repeat.
Should I be worried? I have had blood spotted brown discharge for about 2 days now and I should be starting my period anywhere between tomorrow and the 21st. I usually have some brownish discharge at the end of my cycle but I don't remember before. I am not on birth control or anything right now.

Is this normal?

TIA!
Nov 16, 2008, 7:07pm   #2
Sentient IMBUSILE
I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you are having unusual pain or other symptoms of something wrong.

If you are relatively new to the wonderful world of "special days," you will find that there are all kinds of little variations of times and bosom soreness and whatnot, and it seldom means anything at all.
Nov 16, 2008, 8:41pm   #3
Ooh la la!
That happens to me before AND after a period. I don't think it's really anything to worry about. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I think it's something normal to happen around the time you have a period. If it's nowhere near your period, you might want to check with a doctor.
Nov 16, 2008, 8:45pm   #4
Shop. Spend. Repeat.
Thanks that makes me feel a little better. I'm in my mid 20s and never experienced this before so i got worried!! Hopefully things will be back to normal soon.
Nov 16, 2008, 8:57pm   #5
Yeah, I get this sometimes too, before and/or after. It's probably nothing to worry about, but you might want to tell your gyno just in case.
Nov 16, 2008, 10:06pm   #6
I have googled this 90 different ways. I am super paranoid about everything...not that YOU are but I just worrry about it all. Anyway, apparently brown blood is old blood (sorry to be gross). I have stopped using tampons for the most part and this happens less. I also read that if this happens mid cycle it's most likely bleeding from ovulation.
I am not on the pill also, just incase you wondered.

I'll copy and paste what I found:

Whether you've always had regular menstrual cycles or never had a regular menstrual cycle in your life, the sudden appearance of mid-cycle spotting can be startling. Spotting is when a small amount of blood is passed, just enough to "spot" your underwear or toilet tissue. The blood spots can be many different colors, from brown to red to pinkish, so don't be too concerned about the color of mid-cycle spotting. Fortunately, mid-cycle spotting is usually nothing to worry about. Here is some information to better understand mid-cycle spotting:
  1. Changes in Hormonal Balance. All of the changes in a woman's menstrual cycle are due to alterations in the progesterone/estrogen balance. Changes in a woman's hormonal balance are especially common in perimenopause.
  2. Timing. If you have spotting that occurs around the time of ovulation (ten to fourteen days after the start of your last period), it is likely due to the increased estrogen in your system at this time. Spotting can also occur upon implantation of a fertilized egg into the uterine lining. Spotting that occurs several days to one week before one's menstrual cycle can be due to low levels of progesterone, which while not a problem in and of itself, can cause infertility or early miscarriage in the event that one is trying to become pregnant. Spotting that shows up at other times in your cycle is more likely to be abnormal spotting.
  3. Mittelschmerz. Mittelschmerz is German for "middle pain," and it is a word that describes the mid-cycle pain that can accompany ovulation. You will experience mittelschmerz on one side of your lower abdomen around the time of ovulation, from 10-14 days after the first day of your last period. If you experience mittelschmerz around the same time as spotting, you are almost certainly ovulating. Mittelschmerz is nothing to worry about; I see it as a convenient way of knowing exactly where I am in my cycle.
Nov 16, 2008, 10:17pm   #7
addicted
http://forum.purseblog.com/health-an...ge-211085.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/health-an...me-228609.html

I think it should be fine. I'd get it checked out if there are any other symptoms.
Nov 17, 2008, 10:25am   #8
Shop. Spend. Repeat.
Still having the same thing today, blah! I read somewhere else that it's a sign of being pregnant!!! Is that true? Ah!

Maybe I need to pick up a preg test today. I have also been sick with a nasty cold since Friday so maybe that's interfering with my cycle.

Why are our bodies so confusing!!!? Not fair.
Nov 17, 2008, 1:17pm   #9
A
I had this a couple of years ago...it turned out I was pregnant. It is the little guy implanting in the uterus. Now I have a gorgeous 17 month old son!
Nov 17, 2008, 8:34pm   #10
Hi ya, baby!
I get the same thing every month for a few hours before the real bleeding starts, I wouldn't worry.
Nov 17, 2008, 8:50pm   #11
j
that happens to me all the time. especially right before my period, which is my body's way of telling me that my period is about to come. i think it's the "old" blood that was not released from my previous period. it also happens when i ovulate, two weeks after i end my period. at first it freaked me out but now i'm just used to it. unless you feel funny or not right, then i wouldn't worry about it!
Nov 18, 2008, 7:57pm   #12
Shop. Spend. Repeat.
Yay, I started mine finally. Boy was I getting worried!!

Thanks for all your input. I love this forum!
Nov 23, 2011, 10:05am   #13
m
I'm in the same situation! I had spotting Saturday Nov 19th and it only lasted for a day or two. My breasts also felt swollen and tender. Now everything is back to normal. I'm due to get my period today (Nov 23). Haven't gotten it yet...could I be pregnant? ACK! I otherwise feel completely fine. Also this is the first time I've experienced this and I'm in my late 20s'.
Nov 23, 2011, 11:39am   #14
This is perfectly normal. I think it's just your body's way of clearing things up before the real thing comes along. It used to happen to me when I was younger. (Of course, I am not a doctor, but spotting is very different from heavy bleeding or hemorraging which obviously would be an emergency situation.) Glad everything worked out okay!
Nov 24, 2011, 1:37pm   #15
m
nazaluke is your response to me or the OP? Tx!
POST A REPLY
  HOME Body - Mind - Wellness Health and Fitness