Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Recs Needed-A protein shake that's not gross

POST A REPLY

Nov 15, 2011, 9:28am   #16
Charles
Sucks at budgeting
Originally Posted by Jennifer_C
Is whey protein something I can pick up in a supermarket or would I need to hit a GNC? I've love to get more protein in my diet (I'm so sick of eggs) and those drinks sound yummy!
Should be in the health food area or the protein/carb bar area of your local supermarket. WalFart has them too, but if you want to get the fancy ones, yes, GNC and mail order.

Honestly, unless you're just into eating super clean or into competitive fitness, the stuff WalMart/Target sells will be fine. Like Dom said, just watch the cals/carbs.
Nov 15, 2011, 10:08am   #17
Jennifer_C
Shopaholic
Originally Posted by Charles
Should be in the health food area or the protein/carb bar area of your local supermarket. WalFart has them too, but if you want to get the fancy ones, yes, GNC and mail order.

Honestly, unless you're just into eating super clean or into competitive fitness, the stuff WalMart/Target sells will be fine. Like Dom said, just watch the cals/carbs.
Thanks, Charles.
Nov 15, 2011, 10:30am   #18
princess_riya
I tried two types of protein powders that are available at Costco however both did not taste very good.

I now use "IsoFemme" - chocolate flavour. Its relatively low in sugar/carbs and it tastes very good. I dont need to add anything else to it for flavour.

The only disadvantage is that it is fairly expensive. It comes in a 416 g jar and no bulk or economy size is available. According to research I have done online, its meant for women.
Last edited Nov 15, 2011 at 10:32am. Reason: edited to fix spelling/grammer. Sorry I am sick right now.
Nov 15, 2011, 10:56am   #19
Coco Belle
spreading love!
Originally Posted by Jennifer_C
Is whey protein something I can pick up in a supermarket or would I need to hit a GNC? I've love to get more protein in my diet (I'm so sick of eggs) and those drinks sound yummy!
Yeah I get mine from the supermarket like Charles says. I just check out the protein grams and look for the one with the least carbs and the most protein. Avoid the ones that say "mass-gaining" cos those are usually the high-carb ones. You want the pure whey protein with Splenda/low-carb sweetener.

FWIW: I've tried soy protein instead of whey, and OMG. Stomach cramps, bloating, the most fabulous gas ever (lol), plus it tastes like actual chalk dust. Whey is much more palatable and easier on the stomach IMO. Having said that, I am of European descent so I find dairy products much easier to digest.
Nov 15, 2011, 12:42pm   #20
Charles
Sucks at budgeting
Soy...eeesh! Fart city!
Nov 15, 2011, 1:46pm   #21
s
snibor
Ok I'm going to be honest. I've tried so many I can't count. I know a lot of people like em but I have not found 1 brand that I liked where I can drink an entire glass

I make my own shakes (not protein) with skim milk, a small amount of low-fat chocolate milk and fruit. Its not vitamin and protein packed like a protein drink, but I just can't bring myself to drink that stuff. Sorry! Maybe you'll have better luck.
Nov 15, 2011, 4:20pm   #22
cakegirl
I can't stand the taste of whey and no matter what I cover it up with I can still taste it!
Nov 15, 2011, 5:46pm   #23
v
vk82
Originally Posted by cakegirl
I can't stand the taste of whey and no matter what I cover it up with I can still taste it!
Yeah i hated the taste of those whey protein powder. Taste like puke to me !

i have been using www.4EVERFIT.com . I like the Fruit Blast because at least you can chug it down your throat without throwing up. So far i tried the mango but it taste alright but not bad / just a little bland with a fruity taste
Nov 15, 2011, 10:13pm   #24
Charles
Sucks at budgeting
I guess I've gotten used to it, but I drink the powder with water only. Tastes good to me!

Admittedly, it tastes better with milk, but I def don't have any problems with it. Have you guys tried the Body Fortress or GNC brands??
Feb 22, 2012, 11:30pm   #25
bnjj
♪ Jovi Junkie ♪
Dusting off this thread...

I recently started making green smoothies but they are not at all filling unless, of course, they have some protein in them. Today I bought unflavoured Whey Protein powder that has 25g protein and only 2g carbs per scoop. I had two smoothies today and I was satisfied for about 2 - 2.5 hours, which is normal for me as I eat something every few hours anyway.
Feb 23, 2012, 1:28am   #26
BellaLuella
Wondering Wandering
Originally Posted by bnjj
Dusting off this thread...

I recently started making green smoothies but they are not at all filling unless, of course, they have some protein in them. Today I bought unflavoured Whey Protein powder that has 25g protein and only 2g carbs per scoop. I had two smoothies today and I was satisfied for about 2 - 2.5 hours, which is normal for me as I eat something every few hours anyway.
I saw in other thread u used magic bullet do they come out thick?
Feb 23, 2012, 10:30am   #27
kwealzliy
purse-a-holic
Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein in Chocolate Coconut is THE BEST!!!!! Mixes easy and isn't chunky and tastes great. You can even add in half a banana to mix it up a bit :)
Feb 23, 2012, 10:51am   #28
Chelsea V
Originally Posted by ChiChi143
My DH uses Dymatize Gourmet Elite powder in the chocolate flavor. He says it's pretty good.
I use the dymatize elite chocolate too! It's bada**!
Feb 24, 2012, 4:45pm   #29
LuckyCloset
I like Designer Whey protein in Vanilla. I mix it with water in a shaker bottle. You can find Designer Whey at Trader Joes.

Some tips: (1) Let is "soak" overnight. I don't know what happens, but I mix it in the shaker bottle and let it sit overnight in the fridge it helps with the texture (no sandy feeling). (2) I add fiber powder to it to increase my fiber intake. (3) I use Sugar-Free, Zero Calorie coffee syrups to change up the taste. This adds no more calories and the chocolate flavor syrup is better than the chocolate powder flavor. I have a lot of these syrups in Rasberry, Carmel, Almond Rocca, Vanilla (for extra Vanilla flavor), and of course Chocolate. You can get the coffee syrups at the grocery store or a Smart & Final. (4) Drink them really cold, sometimes I blend the shake with ice to make a mock-frap or I just add ice to keep it very cold. (5) I also like to make the shakes with cold coffee.

I have heard that if you use a Vanilla flavor powder, you can use Orange Juice instead of water or milk to make a Creamsicle. I haven't tried that yet, but it sounds good.
Feb 26, 2012, 1:29am   #30
b
bexy
Chocolate Shakeology. Takes like a freaking milkshake. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a coach. It truly is delicous. Wish I could say the same for the other 2 flavors though.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >