Home Body - Mind - Wellness Health and Fitness

My Juicing Journey to a Healthier Me

POST A REPLY

Oct 28, 2012, 3:12pm   #1
♪ Jovi Junkie ♪
Being an animal lover I have always been concerned with how animals are treated in the commercial food chain. I have tried to support local farmers for my meat and dairy needs and over a year ago completely stopped buying these products from anywhere other than local farms.

Some time back I watched Food Inc. and was again horribly disturbed by what I saw. I told everyone about this movie and encouraged them to watch. I then watched Forks Over Knives and I was astounded by the scientific findings of the research on plant and animal protein. I always knew places in Asia had much lower obesity rates and cancer rates/mortality than North America but this documentary really drove home how important diet is to health.

Last week I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and was amazed by the transformation of the people in it. I then re-watched Forks Over Knives that same night.

I came to the conclusion that it was time I got off my butt and did something about my diet. The next day I took out the brand new juicer that was still sitting in its box more than a year after I bought it and headed off to the produce store to stock up on fruit and veggies to juice.

Over the past few days I have consumed likely around 150 ounces of fresh juice made from kale, lemon, spinach, apples, cukes, celery, ginger and spinach. I have also eaten meals but have been lowering my amount of animal products each time.

I am a little over 3lbs lighter than I was at my weigh in at the beginning of last week. When I have replaced a meal with juice I have found that I feel satisfied and I don't feel any more hungry between meals than I normally would.

This thread is gong to be about my juicing journey and the results I achieve.

Today for lunch I had 16 ounces of fresh green juice made from kale, spinach, cukes, parsley, broccoli, lemon, ginger, apples and celery.

The first picture was the first juice I made a few days ago (October 24) and the second is the juice I made for lunch today. The ingredients were almost identical so they look the same.
Attached Images

Last edited Oct 28, 2012 at 3:20pm.
Oct 29, 2012, 3:04pm   #2
I plan on adding juicing to my diet and lowering my meat intake. Drank my first glass of juice today.
Oct 29, 2012, 7:58pm   #3
psalm 25:4
I just ordered a Nutribullet I saw on tv LOL! Can't wait to try it out
Oct 29, 2012, 10:23pm   #4
Originally Posted by bnjj
Being an animal lover I have always been concerned with how animals are treated in the commercial food chain. I have tried to support local farmers for my meat and dairy needs and over a year ago completely stopped buying these products from anywhere other than local farms.

Some time back I watched Food Inc. and was again horribly disturbed by what I saw. I told everyone about this movie and encouraged them to watch. I then watched Forks Over Knives and I was astounded by the scientific findings of the research on plant and animal protein. I always knew places in Asia had much lower obesity rates and cancer rates/mortality than North America but this documentary really drove home how important diet is to health.

Last week I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and was amazed by the transformation of the people in it. I then re-watched Forks Over Knives that same night.

I came to the conclusion that it was time I got off my butt and did something about my diet. The next day I took out the brand new juicer that was still sitting in its box more than a year after I bought it and headed off to the produce store to stock up on fruit and veggies to juice.

Over the past few days I have consumed likely around 150 ounces of fresh juice made from kale, lemon, spinach, apples, cukes, celery, ginger and spinach. I have also eaten meals but have been lowering my amount of animal products each time.

I am a little over 3lbs lighter than I was at my weigh in at the beginning of last week. When I have replaced a meal with juice I have found that I feel satisfied and I don't feel any more hungry between meals than I normally would.

This thread is gong to be about my juicing journey and the results I achieve.

Today for lunch I had 16 ounces of fresh green juice made from kale, spinach, cukes, parsley, broccoli, lemon, ginger, apples and celery.

The first picture was the first juice I made a few days ago (October 24) and the second is the juice I made for lunch today. The ingredients were almost identical so they look the same.
GOOD FOR YOU!!!! I too am an animal lover...Im down to fish, but still crave chicken for some reason, though I rarely eat it.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your journey.
I still haven't invested in a juicer, but Ive been drinking a lot of EVOLUTION juice. It's pricey, so I will eventually get a juicer and start making my own.
..Im SHOCKED how good pure vegetable juice is..
and how full filling it is..
and the more juice in my diet, the more energy I have..

Keep the recipes/photos coming!!!
And good luck!
Oct 30, 2012, 9:10am   #5
♪ Jovi Junkie ♪
This morning's juice made of watermelon, apples, grapes and strawberries.

I will be making a green juice later.
Attached Images

Oct 30, 2012, 9:30am   #6
The 'belle is back!
I started juicing over the last month myself using a Jack Lalane juicer too. One of my favorite but simple recipes is kale, apples, with a splash of cayenne pepper and lemon. I usually drink this in the morning and honestly, I don't get hungry until about 11:30am.

Have fun with it!
Oct 30, 2012, 11:20am   #7
Excellent thread! I have "juiced," but more in juice fasts. I will drink only fresh juices (either made at home with my juicer, or at the local health food coop on my way to or from work) for 1 - 3 days about 4 times per day. I also supplement with tons of water & herbal tea, along with "dead" fiberless juices for calories.

I'm on Day 2 of a juice fast now ... then I will transition out (smoothie for breakfast, veggie soup for lunch & a salad with plant protein for dinner) and begin the rest of a 21-30 day gluten/sugar/caffeine/dairy/meat cleanse.
Oct 30, 2012, 11:36am   #8
J
Good for you! keep it up! It too kills me to think of how those animals are treated :(. I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, but I absolutely try to reduce the amount of meat we eat and am conscious of the types of eggs etc that we buy. I could definitely do more though

I'm really into blending veggies into smoothies. I use whole veggies because so much of the fiber/nutrients are in the skins. But this of course really limits what types I can use. My very favorite is 2 cups of raw spinach, 1cup greek yogurt, 1 banana, ice, and I usually add some flax seeds.

Can't wait to read more about it, so interesting!
Last edited Oct 30, 2012 at 11:42am.
Oct 30, 2012, 12:43pm   #9
✯ mathemagician ✯
That's awesome! We're doing green smoothies not juices, but whichever way people choose, I'm all for cutting out processed foods and animal foods!

You have probably read/heard about that before, but you should make sure you purchase organic fruits and veggies. They should have less chemicals on the peel and even in the fruit. I often find organic fruits have a stronger taste (tomatoes for example) which indicates more nutrients.

Happy juicing!
Oct 30, 2012, 5:26pm   #10
♪ Jovi Junkie ♪
Originally Posted by Kansashalo
I started juicing over the last month myself using a Jack Lalane juicer too. One of my favorite but simple recipes is kale, apples, with a splash of cayenne pepper and lemon. I usually drink this in the morning and honestly, I don't get hungry until about 11:30am.

Have fun with it!
I agree. The green juices I have been making (ingredients listed above) are so good and keep me satisfied.

Originally Posted by legaldiva
Excellent thread! I have "juiced," but more in juice fasts. I will drink only fresh juices (either made at home with my juicer, or at the local health food coop on my way to or from work) for 1 - 3 days about 4 times per day. I also supplement with tons of water & herbal tea, along with "dead" fiberless juices for calories.

I'm on Day 2 of a juice fast now ... then I will transition out (smoothie for breakfast, veggie soup for lunch & a salad with plant protein for dinner) and begin the rest of a 21-30 day gluten/sugar/caffeine/dairy/meat cleanse.
That's great. I haven't decided if I am going to do a complete juice fast or not.

Originally Posted by Jeanek
Good for you! keep it up! It too kills me to think of how those animals are treated :(. I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, but I absolutely try to reduce the amount of meat we eat and am conscious of the types of eggs etc that we buy. I could definitely do more though

I'm really into blending veggies into smoothies. I use whole veggies because so much of the fiber/nutrients are in the skins. But this of course really limits what types I can use. My very favorite is 2 cups of raw spinach, 1cup greek yogurt, 1 banana, ice, and I usually add some flax seeds.

Can't wait to read more about it, so interesting!
Originally Posted by simmmchen
That's awesome! We're doing green smoothies not juices, but whichever way people choose, I'm all for cutting out processed foods and animal foods!

You have probably read/heard about that before, but you should make sure you purchase organic fruits and veggies. They should have less chemicals on the peel and even in the fruit. I often find organic fruits have a stronger taste (tomatoes for example) which indicates more nutrients.

Happy juicing!
I have made green smoothies as well. I don't intend to become a vegetarian but do want to really limit my intake of animal products.
Oct 30, 2012, 8:20pm   #11
I'd like to note that some people feel sick in their stomach from too many fresh juices because of the acids. I am like this and my aunt too.
Just be careful. Everything is healthy in moderation.
Oct 30, 2012, 11:14pm   #12
Started juicing yesterday:
Name:  image-1087710846.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  550.9 KB
Oct 31, 2012, 1:23pm   #13
✯ mathemagician ✯
Originally Posted by Love4H
I'd like to note that some people feel sick in their stomach from too many fresh juices because of the acids. I am like this and my aunt too.
Just be careful. Everything is healthy in moderation.
This might be because of low levels of hydrochloric acid in your stomach. This is common when our diets contain little fresh ingredients (like our western diets often do). Our body lowers production of hydrochloric acid and thus we cannot digest larger amounts of fresh foods anymore. When we gently introduce more and more fresh food, our body can recover and relearn to digest larger amounts.

Definitely listen to your body. It will tell you what it wants and make you aware when it's too much (by making your nauseous for example). But if you keep at it with small amounts of fresh food, your body might surprise you keep craving more and more!
Oct 31, 2012, 1:27pm   #14
✯ mathemagician ✯
Originally Posted by bnjj
I have made green smoothies as well. I don't intend to become a vegetarian but do want to really limit my intake of animal products.
I'm not a vegetarian either. I am taking the approach of "adding" good stuff to my diet, rather than concentrating on what to "cut out". Makes the whole experience more pleasant

... and it means I can have pizza once in a while
Oct 31, 2012, 2:40pm   #15
Originally Posted by simmmchen

Happy juicing!
Good advice--I didn't know that about flavor/nutrients. Thank you!
POST A REPLY
  HOME Body - Mind - Wellness Health and Fitness