Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Migraine sufferers, magnetic eye mask.

POST A REPLY

Jul 14, 2007, 6:41pm   #1
pritti_hippie
Llama Llama Duck!
Hey, I've been suffering from migraines since I was about 15 and they can sometimes be absolutely awful. I just wondered how many of you share the same symptoms as me and whether anybody has tried any of the eye masks designed to get rid of migraines.
Does anybody find that their migraine usually has one particular side of the head? I usually always have mine on the right and hardly ever on the left.
The eye mask I am talking about emits light onto closed eyes to get rid of migraines. Apparently it has been shown to get rid of 2 out of 3! Has anybody body used this or recommend it? Thanks
Jul 14, 2007, 7:46pm   #2
irishpandabear
I also suffer from migraines, mine are on the left and they are awful! I wouldn't wish migraines on my worst enemy! LOL! I have no experience with this mask, but would love to hear from anyone who has. TIA
Jul 14, 2007, 8:06pm   #3
Zophie
I've never heard of that but I've heard of some kind of magnetic necklace or something that can help. I've never tried it.

I have had migraines since I'm 11 and the only thing I know for sure that helps is Vicodin, so that's what I stick with. I have what I think is called classic migraine. It is preceeded by an aura with flashing lights and then that fades and I get an awful headache with nausea and occasionally parts of my body go numb. If I take the Vicodin at the time the visual thing starts it's usually bearable and I just try to lie down.

Migraines suck!
Jul 14, 2007, 8:08pm   #4
jchiara
is really in love...
I've never heard of such a thing! I get mine on the left....and sometimes they're ocular...but always with an aura....they're an absolute misery and come out of nowhere. I can usually attribute them to my cycle and hormones....some months there's nothing....other times, it's a horror. I take FROVA for my migraines...
Jul 14, 2007, 8:18pm   #5
kristenmi123
I have suffered from them for about 15 years.

I always get them on the right side ~ around my eye and down the side of my neck on the right side.

I bought this neck massager from Brookstone ~ it works wonders. And then I just bought this eye mask from Brookstone and it has heat, vibration and airpressure massaging but I think it's kinda loud when the airpressure is releasing & filling back up.

I've been to a neurologist and they could not find anything wrong. I think my headaches are either related to depo shot possibly or I was in a head on accident about 15 years ago & maybe that triggers something in my neck? Or I might get them from stress?

I don't get them as often anymore but there have been times I've missed work they were so bad.

I would be interested in other products.......
Jul 14, 2007, 8:53pm   #6
Leelee
Up On My Toes!
I, too suffer from migraines, complete with nausea, light sensitivity, all the pain, etc. I have a prescription for Maxalt that works pretty well, but have never heard of a magnetic eye mask. Where can you buy it? Do you need an Rx? I'd be willing to give it a try!
Jul 14, 2007, 9:18pm   #7
Pursegrrl
Oh no she di-int!!
Originally Posted by jchiara
I've never heard of such a thing! I get mine on the left....and sometimes they're ocular...but always with an aura....they're an absolute misery and come out of nowhere. I can usually attribute them to my cycle and hormones....some months there's nothing....other times, it's a horror. I take FROVA for my migraines...
I've got ocular migraines as well, midcycle and just when my period's done. Thankfully not every month. I used to take SINEQUAN (an antidepressant) for them but my prescription ran out and I'm trying to avoid 'triggers' around those timeframes (cheese, red wine...dang all the good stuff lol). Also, exercise helps.
Jul 14, 2007, 9:58pm   #8
jchiara
is really in love...
Originally Posted by Pursegrrl
I've got ocular migraines as well, midcycle and just when my period's done. Thankfully not every month. I used to take SINEQUAN (an antidepressant) for them but my prescription ran out and I'm trying to avoid 'triggers' around those timeframes (cheese, red wine...dang all the good stuff lol). Also, exercise helps.
Hey Pursegrrl! You're my "life begins at 40!" girl - I'm 41 so I'm waiting.......?
Jul 14, 2007, 10:04pm   #9
Pursegrrl
Oh no she di-int!!
^^ it's been a rough start to 4-0...BF split and lost job within 3 weeks. Amazingly, no migraines since!!? LOL!
Jul 14, 2007, 10:47pm   #10
ChiChi143
I've had migraines for 7 years now. I've never heard of the mask but I do take Imitrex shots & they work for me.
Jul 15, 2007, 8:17am   #11
Baby Boo
addicted to TPF
i suffer migranes.. they usually start at the bridge of my nose and work up.. some times they are so bad i need shots.. usually i take brufen 800 and they go away sort of- never heard of the mask
Jul 15, 2007, 4:52pm   #12
pritti_hippie
Llama Llama Duck!
i saw the eye mask advertised online somewhere, there are two types. One I saw emmited light onto the closed eye (not sure why) and the other just had magnets in it. I hate hate hate migraines, luckily i'm never physically sick from them but sometimes I feel as though if I don't go lie down quick I will be. I might buy a mask when I get paid and will keep updated on here (although don't get paid again for couple fo weeks) I bought myself a Dior eye mask a while back to help my designer craving and to help with my head lol. It feels better to have it on so no light gets in but obviously isn't a cure. I've taken solpadeine which help a bit although I find that when I take anything for my migraines they just come back a day later or so. They're so frustrating arghhh x
Jul 16, 2007, 12:40am   #13
lelgin
Originally Posted by Zophie
I've never heard of that but I've heard of some kind of magnetic necklace or something that can help. I've never tried it.

I have had migraines since I'm 11 and the only thing I know for sure that helps is Vicodin, so that's what I stick with. I have what I think is called classic migraine. It is preceeded by an aura with flashing lights and then that fades and I get an awful headache with nausea and occasionally parts of my body go numb. If I take the Vicodin at the time the visual thing starts it's usually bearable and I just try to lie down.

Migraines suck!
I used to suffer from the same thing when I was a child, except I never got the headache. They put me in the hospital and ran some test and ultimately determined I was suffering from migraines, sans headache. The older I got, the preceeding symptoms faded, but the migraines persist. I was able to get rid of a majority of them by cutting red meat out of my diet and keeping my estrogen levels up.
Jul 16, 2007, 3:05am   #14
Zophie
lelgin, I've heard of people getting just an optical migraine with no pain. I think my mom has had those but mine usually has a headache. I never feel how bad it can get because of the vicodin but before I started taking it the pain was unbearable. I don't get them that frequently. I know I can't take birth control pills. They cause me to have them constantly. I haven't had one for a few months but I hate to say that because I always jinx myself when I do and get one.
Jul 16, 2007, 8:07am   #15
pritti_hippie
Llama Llama Duck!
I sometimes wonder if the reason why mine are more frequent now is because i am on the depo injections. I used to get them a lot but now I'm having them all the time. I keep meaning to go get my eyes checked but I'm really bad at putting things off x
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >