Home Body - Mind - Wellness Health and Fitness

HCG? Anyone do this diet?

POST A REPLY

Apr 14, 2010, 6:23pm   #1
cupcake butt
Is it even a legal use of HCG? I know someone using it. Isn't HCG considered a controlled substance? It's not approved for weight loss by the FDA. Even if it works, is it healthy? legal? what weird side effects does it have?
Last edited Apr 14, 2010 at 6:30pm.
Sep 4, 2010, 12:20am   #2
L
I have a lot of friends who have done it with amazing results! Just wondered if you have done it and what your results were?
Thanks!
Sep 4, 2010, 11:16am   #3
v
I'm skeptical of any diet that involves a "magic" pill or injection.
Also, I don't think that there is any scientific evidence to support HCG's weight loss, it's been banned by Major League Baseball, and it's not approved for weight loss by the FDA.
One study I found showed no difference in weight loss between an HCG diet and a normal, calorie-restrictive diet. Both groups however, reported serious hunger pangs.
Sep 4, 2010, 2:48pm   #4
C
Really?
I have a family friend who tried it, and yes, he lost weight on it. But I have a feeling that the weight loss had more to do with the fact that the recommended 'diet' that goes along with this program is a 500 calorie a day diet. Anyone is going to lose weight eating that few calories, regardless of whether or not you're taking the HCG. And when he stopped the diet, guess what?? The weight came back.

The bottom line....everyone always wants to know what the secret or the magic pill for weight loss is, but the thing is, there isn't one. There is only one way to lose weight FOR GOOD and that is to change your lifestyle. Anyone can lose weight on any crazy diet. But the minute you revert back to your old eating habits, the weight is going to come back. You have to make healthy eating and exercise a part of your daily life.

Besides that...I just can't imagine that taking a hormone that's present during pregnancy in hopes to lose weight can be healthy??
Sep 4, 2010, 3:01pm   #5
v
^yeah, it's kind of creepy. Dieters on HCG report symptoms of feeling pregnant - swelling, water retention, mood swings, headaches, breast tenderness, etc.
Sep 4, 2010, 3:35pm   #6
R
I have 2 co-workers who did the HCG diet in Jan and lost a lot of weight, 36 and 25 lbs, respectively. Both of them have maintained the weight loss.

I also tried HCG over 20 years ago and it worked beautifully! Lost a lot of weight in the right places in a short period of time...but the diet did get boring.

The only person who can decide if this will work is the dieter. As a short term option to kickstart your weight loss, if you want to try it ... go for it!
Sep 4, 2010, 4:48pm   #7
I can't stoaaaaahp!!
There are two doctors here that tried it with enormous results and have kept it off for many months now. Personally, I don't think I could function on 500 calories a day! I'm a total bee-yotch if I'm as low as 1000 cal, I'd probably be divorced if I did this diet!
Sep 4, 2010, 5:02pm   #8
C
Really?
Well I'm not going to knock anyone that wants to try it. To each their own and all that. However...there's no reason, IMO, to go to such lengths to lose weight. I've lost 47 lbs since April of this year the good old fashioned way - a healthy but calorie controlled diet and exercise. No pills, no injections, no gimmicks. Just hard work.
Sep 4, 2010, 6:43pm   #9
v
^I agree with you Christy.
Clinical data has shown that when you compare the results of people on a very low-cal diet and those on a very low-cal diet and HCG, there is not perceptible difference in weight loss. In other words, people on an HCG diet are losing weight not because of the HCG, but because of the very low-cal diet and the guidance/support of their doctor.
Sep 4, 2010, 6:45pm   #10
That's freakin' awesome!!!

Originally Posted by ChristyR143
Well I'm not going to knock anyone that wants to try it. To each their own and all that. However...there's no reason, IMO, to go to such lengths to lose weight. I've lost 47 lbs since April of this year the good old fashioned way - a healthy but calorie controlled diet and exercise. No pills, no injections, no gimmicks. Just hard work.
Sep 4, 2010, 7:01pm   #11
C
Really?
Awww thanks, Swanky!
Sep 16, 2010, 5:52am   #12
These sound dangerous to me- Id rather try the old fashioned way- I dont want to put any drugs into this worn out old body that might cause it anymore damage- I take too many anti cancer pills as it is and would never risk anything like these but each to his own
Sep 16, 2010, 5:02pm   #13
Chanel, LV & Hermes
Awesome and congrats! I am also doing the old fashion way of weight loss. Reduced healthy meals and exercise. Just curious, what did your exercise routine and diet consist of, if you do not mind sharing. Thanks!

Originally Posted by ChristyR143
Sep 16, 2010, 5:27pm   #14
I did it...don't do it!! That's all I can say...yes you will lose weight but eating only 500 cals a day will do it anyway....

I don't think it's good for you in the long run...jmo
Sep 16, 2010, 7:02pm   #15
C
Really?
Originally Posted by alexandra28
Awesome and congrats! I am also doing the old fashion way of weight loss. Reduced healthy meals and exercise. Just curious, what did your exercise routine and diet consist of, if you do not mind sharing. Thanks!
Thanks!

Basically I've just been going to the gym 5 days a week...cardio for 45 minutes, and strength training 4 days a week (upper body 2 days, lower body 2 days). As for diet, I stick to 1,200 calories or less a day, and just try to make healthier choices, but don't really deprive myself. I just read the labels on things, or look up calorie counts of stuff online, and I keep track of everything I eat in a journal. I also allow myself one day on the weekend to eat whatever I want (within reason of course!). That's really it.
POST A REPLY
  HOME Body - Mind - Wellness Health and Fitness