Home > >

Feeling like crap every morning - is this normal?

POST A REPLY

Apr 27, 2009, 10:21am   #1
amanda
I Bleed Georgia Red
This has been going on for a while, and I'm absolutely sick of it, but I don't know if it's preventable or if it's normal and I should just muddle through it every day.

When I wake up, I usually feel terrible. My nose is stuffy, my throat hurts, I get really nauseous, and I cough a lot. I sometimes throw up, but this is not an everyday thing. This happens whether I eat something immediately when I get up or wait a little while, so food and water doesn't help. It happens whether I wake up to an alarm or wake up naturally. It's also been going on for about 5 years, so I know it's not morning sickness, ha (and if it is, apparently I'm birthing a secret elephant baby).

It goes away after an hour or two, but it's super unpleasant and makes me feel like I have a terrible cold every morning. Does this happen to everyone, or am I weird? Has anyone ever dealt with it successfully? I'm kind of desperate at this point, it's really making it hard to get any work done until afternoon (I work from home).
Apr 27, 2009, 10:26am   #2
Cristina
I'll play Captain Obvious here, as you've probably done this already. Have you seen a doctor for this?
Apr 27, 2009, 10:40am   #3
j
jpgoeth
Shopinator
Originally Posted by Cristina
I'll play Captain Obvious here, as you've probably done this already. Have you seen a doctor for this?

It kind of sounds like allergies to me. In my old apartment, we had a mold problem (I'm allergic to mold) and I had similar symptoms. They weren't as severe as yours sound, but I would wake up feeling like I had a bad cold every morning - sore throat, sniffles, sometimes a cough, sometimes nauseous. An air filter might help, or it might be dust mites in your mattress or pillow. Eating a little something right before bed really helped me with the nauseated feeling in the morning, I think since I wasn't swallowing all that mucous (gross, I know) on an empty stomach.
Apr 27, 2009, 10:58am   #4
b
backstageAntics
bag lady!
I would say, yes, see a doctor, and it does sound like an allergy. I'd start off by getting rid of your pillows and giving your bedding a good wash, down to the mattress pad. You might also try taking an antihistamine before bed and see if that makes a difference. If it does, and the bedding switch doesn't help, you might even consider a new mattress, or look elsewhere in your bedroom for the allergen.
Apr 27, 2009, 11:09am   #5
amanda
I Bleed Georgia Red
I haven't been to a doctor for it because it didn't occur to me until recently that this probably wasn't normal (it's been going on for so long that I kind of took it for granted). My insurance isn't great and I only get 4 doctor visits per year, so I try to save them for emergencies.

And I know it probably isn't a problem with where I live - in the approx. 5 years that I can recall having this problem, I've lived in 4 different apartments, all of different ages and with different surrounding environments (college town - people usually move every year or two). And it happens year-round, so it isn't seasonal allergies. Which is why I can't figure out, for the life of me, what in the world could be causing this.
Apr 27, 2009, 11:13am   #6
amanda
I Bleed Georgia Red
Originally Posted by backstageAntics
I would say, yes, see a doctor, and it does sound like an allergy. I'd start off by getting rid of your pillows and giving your bedding a good wash, down to the mattress pad. You might also try taking an antihistamine before bed and see if that makes a difference. If it does, and the bedding switch doesn't help, you might even consider a new mattress, or look elsewhere in your bedroom for the allergen.
Interesting. I'll wash my sheets and bedding today, but in the time that this has happened, I've had 4 different mattresses (I've lived in dorms, furnished apartments, and now with my own furniture) and 3 different sets of bedding. I've changed my pillows every time I've moved. I feel like I've moved so many times during college that what I have in my bedroom has almost completely changed several times, which is why I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the problem. I can't think of anything that has been with me the entire time, and my problem has been consistent.

I think your suggestion of taking an antihistamine before bed might help, though. I'll pick some up today.
Apr 27, 2009, 11:18am   #7
Jahpson
yeah, I feel like crap in the mornings. My nose would be stuffy and I would be a little nauseaus but I wouldn't puke or anything. but i do feel a little dizzy. hate that feeling
Apr 27, 2009, 3:27pm   #8
Charles
Sucks at budgeting
Uh oh...someone's preggo...

*runs and hides*
Apr 27, 2009, 4:15pm   #9
amanda
I Bleed Georgia Red
Originally Posted by Charles
Uh oh...someone's preggo...

*runs and hides*
Psssh, you know that I make all the random guys I bang in bar bathrooms wrap their stuff up...

Apr 27, 2009, 4:28pm   #10
elle tee
This sounds similar to how I feel in the mornings when my seasonal allergies are acting up. I try to sleep with 2 pillows so my head is more upright; I take antihistamines and decongestants before bed and when I wake up; I use an air purifier and a humidifier; I try to control dust and keep the bed/linens clean; I sleep with the windows closed to keep out allergens as much as possible; my SO swears by sinus irrigation (gargling with warm salt water so it flushes out your sinuses) although I haven't tried it.
Apr 27, 2009, 4:50pm   #11
Q
QueenMaa
It does sound like allergies. You might also want to hydrate yourself by drinking plenty of water.
Apr 27, 2009, 11:04pm   #12
lorihmatthews
Doberhuahua!
I was also going to suggest an air purifier in the bedroom. Do you have one?
Apr 27, 2009, 11:59pm   #13
s
scd
I do get something similar, but not every day.

I also have allergies (perennial - year round) but it doesn't sound like you only have allergies, it could be something else, or in conjunction with something else.

Regarding the nausea, I get it too (and def not morning sickness,, so sick of people asking). It's usually gone by noon. I don't know what causes it. I asked a doctor and he said it was anxiety/stress related. Or it could be low blood pressure related. Howeve I've never thrown up from it though. Just felt super dizzy and nauseated. Try ginger, that may help.

Could it be the temperature or humidity? Is your environment very dry? Maybe try a humidifier?

You should definitely get it checked out but it sounds to me as it could be something that's very hard to pinpoint the cause of. (and I know because I've been there!)
Apr 28, 2009, 2:52am   #14
Junkenpo
CHOOSE KINDNESS
Could it be stress related?

When I get less than optimum sleep & know I"m going to have a challenging day, I tend to wake up tired bc I'm not well-rested from tossing & turning. In turn, I feel stuffy or congested. Also, my tummy is in knots & when I try to brush my teeth/tongue, I gag (and if I've eaten, it triggers the threat of puking).

But, when I'm well rested & have a day I know I can field, then even if I wake tired & antsy, I won't feel sick-to-my stomach.
Apr 28, 2009, 10:36am   #15
amanda
I Bleed Georgia Red
Originally Posted by scd
I do get something similar, but not every day.

I also have allergies (perennial - year round) but it doesn't sound like you only have allergies, it could be something else, or in conjunction with something else.

Regarding the nausea, I get it too (and def not morning sickness,, so sick of people asking). It's usually gone by noon. I don't know what causes it. I asked a doctor and he said it was anxiety/stress related. Or it could be low blood pressure related. Howeve I've never thrown up from it though. Just felt super dizzy and nauseated. Try ginger, that may help.

Could it be the temperature or humidity? Is your environment very dry? Maybe try a humidifier?

You should definitely get it checked out but it sounds to me as it could be something that's very hard to pinpoint the cause of. (and I know because I've been there!)
Definitely not dry here - it's super humid in GA, particularly starting about this time of year. I have very little stress in my life right now (thank God), so I don't think it's that. My blood pressure readings are all normal. Which is what makes this so frustrating!

I'm washing all of my linens, including my duvet cover, and I went to Target yesterday and bought a new duvet to put inside of it (a comforter that I've had for two years is currently in there and probably holds lots of allergens). So we'll see how that works. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >