Home Body - Mind - Wellness Health and Fitness

Fasting, detox, whatever, is it healthy?

DISCUSSION CLOSED

Jul 29, 2012, 6:59pm   #31
D
Account Deactivated
Originally Posted by Charles
Oh, I read it. But just like this one, it's pointless. I post articles from doctors and you post articles from non-medical people.

Look, if you choose to disregard the medical professionals telling you that you're hurting your body, so be it. But again, don't post here encouraging other people to do those sort of things.

It's 100% possible to be healthy WITHOUT depriving your body of anything.
hm weird, my medical professionals encouraged it for me (not over weight or anything like that...but to help cure digestive/ intestinal problems) oh and it worked

you just cant do it everyday, but mini fasts or a couple long fasts annually are GREAT for most people.

Problem is most people dont know this since so many people lack the self control to actually fast.
Jul 29, 2012, 7:00pm   #32
Originally Posted by Dianabanana12
No. Please read the health benefits of fasts that are no longer than 30-40 days. Its actually something everyone should do at least once a year.

Starving yourself would be something you do consistently daily.

Fasting has more health benefits then you could imagine. And with the help of my DOCTOR RECOMMENDED fast. I cured my ulcerous colitis

Not trying to be harsh, I just hate when people who know anything about fasting tell people its bad for them, when it just makes you look uneducated because there are a LOT of positive effects of it. Not to mention people have been doing it since as far back as history goes for religious purposes.
Your doctor recommended you consume nothing but water, diet coke and black coffee for 8 days?

Please don't call me uneducated. There really is no call for you to be rude. You have not provided a link explaining the benefits of a diet consisting of diet coke/coffee/water, so I'm curious as to where it is that you would like me to read about the health the benefits of your "diet coke/coffee/water fast"?
Jul 29, 2012, 7:01pm   #33
D
Account Deactivated
Originally Posted by mellibelly
I did a cleanse last year, the Blessed Herbs cleanse, I and would never do it again. I never felt light-headed or weak, the apple juice, herbs, and clay concoction I had to drink was pretty filling. But you're not supposed to exercise when you're doing it (how is that good for your body?) and the last day of the cleanse I got intense back pain while at work that lasted 24 hours. I've never had that happen before, ever. 2 days after I finished the cleanse, I came down with a really, really bad cold. I NEVER get sick, I really never get sick, maybe ever 2 years at the most. The cleanse definitely weakened by immune system. I would never do another cleanse where you don't eat food for 10 days, there were absolutely no benefits at all for me.

I know a girl that was on a juice cleanse, she had been on it for 5 weeks, and her skin looked terrible!! We all noticed how bad it was and she was maybe in her late 20's. It looked dry and old and just unhealthy.

I am curious about Bon Appetit's Food Lovers Cleanse though and want to try it. There's food involved, thank god, but it's clean healthy food.

http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/2...lovers-cleanse
Most cleanses like that are usually really harsh on your colon, probably why you felt like crap. Just do a water cleanse, meaning only drink water for a week or so. ... I'd also talk to your doctor, make sure you dont have any underlying conditions that it could be harfmful for.
Jul 29, 2012, 7:03pm   #34
Originally Posted by Dianabanana12
I agree with you. People who know nothing about fasting and have never tried it for themselves talk out of their A*s lol.... well I LOVE FASTING and it makes me feel AMAZING after, not to mention you eat so much healthier cuz the healthy stuff tastes so much better, so if you ever need a fasting buddy hello im here lol ... i have been doing mini fasts to work my way up to a 30 day fast. I failed last time lol I went 7 days, because I didnt ease into it with a liquid fast or anything like that, so then i did a mini 4 day fast to get back into things, and although i didnt really prep today, I am going to start again tomorrow, and try to actually complete a 30-40 day fast.

I dont even have the energy to argue with people that fasting actually is good for you once in a while lol so i give up. They should just educate themselves like i educated myself when my doctor recommened a water fast for me to help with my ulcerous colitis and a couple mini fasts later, its been 4 years with no symptoms of my colitis!! I and my doctor thank water fasts for that lol, since it gives your body a chance to heal itself instead of spend all its energy digesting your food!!

PM me if you ever want to fast together! I love fasting buddies lol
Do you mean literally eat nothing for 30 days? What do you drink? Please note: I'm not being sarcastic, I'm honestly interested as I've never heard of anyone not consuming a single morsel of food for 30 days.
Jul 29, 2012, 7:08pm   #35
D
Account Deactivated
Originally Posted by babypie
Do you mean literally eat nothing for 30 days? What do you drink? Please note: I'm not being sarcastic, I'm honestly interested as I've never heard of anyone not consuming a single morsel of food for 30 days.
Yeah, water. I have NEVER been able to go that long, because lol i usually dont prep right before i jump into a fast meaning doing a juice fast or something a few days before, not just eatting crap the day before and waking up to do a fast, longest ive gone is 7 days.

But yes a true water fast would be eatting NOTHING for 30 days. I sometimes dont do a 100% water fast. But also do coffee, black and tea, black. Sometimes diet coke.

It makes me feel amazing after just 7 days. I dont know why i always loose control and eat or drink (alcohol) lol ....

im going to try 30 tomorrow.

Hoestly also, you can even go on youtube. google water fast. a lot of people have done 30+ days successfully.

My doctor told ME specifically, as i am now, he is okay with me doing 30 days. Once you read on it your body signals when you should stop. you just have to listen to it. but again thats me and i dont have any other health problems.

Edit: lol no my doctor recommended water only. He hates that i drink diet coke
Jul 29, 2012, 7:13pm   #36
D
Account Deactivated
Your doctor recommended you consume nothing but water, diet coke and black coffee for 8 days?

Please don't call me uneducated. There really is no call for you to be rude. You have not provided a link explaining the benefits of a diet consisting of diet coke/coffee/water, so I'm curious as to where it is that you would like me to read about the health the benefits of your "diet coke/coffee/water fast"?
Sorry lol! But I get crap from a lot of people sometimes who know nothing about it, and think they do lol ...

Google it. theres a ton of things. I personally like youtube and blogs. I prefer to read about PERSONAL point of views from people who have actually experienced fasting.

but yes i was as skeptical as you lol until me and my doctor started talking about options for my ulcerous colitis, before it got so bad id have to get parts of my colon removed. This was an option. I was suppose to go 30 days but i did a couple mini fasts and since, I have had NO problems with my colitis!! So after reading more on it and how it helps heal your body I 100% from personal experience believe that fasting helps heal the body

And again....my doctor DID NOT recommend that i drink diet coke lol ... its actually horrible for you.... i drink diet coke the first few days usually to help with the hunger in day 1-3. then the hunger tpyicaly is gone and i stick to just water.

Oh and with water fasting google "Ketosis" thats typically what kicks start your body starting to heal itself. The reason i drink back coffee is it doesnt kick me out of ketosis when my body is in that stage. Some people, it has, or it has delayed it at least. For me it doest. Diet coke DOES
Jul 29, 2012, 7:19pm   #37
D
Account Deactivated
Originally Posted by Charles
Ok, please stop posting things like this. The reason people feel sick when they fast/cleanse is cause they're depriving their body of essential nutrients, NOT cause the body is ridding itself of toxins. As I've said numerous times, that's the whole point of the excretory system, to rid the body of toxins and waste. Your body already rids itself of toxins. The reason you feel better afterwards is cause your body is getting back to normal and getting the things it needs.

Here's the bottom line, if you want a "clean" body, don't eat crap. Eat clean foods. Don't eat boxed/processed foods, eat fresh veggies and hormone free meats, etc, etc. It's real simple.
Shes actually right, it is why your skin looks bad temporarily, then it gets better.

Out of curiosity have you ever even fasted?!?!?
Jul 29, 2012, 7:42pm   #38
D
Account Deactivated
Here are some resources that I just found through a google search. I didnt read all of them in full, but some are from my saved "favorites"

http://drbenkim.com/fasting.html

http://renegadehealth.com/blog/2010/...-water-fasting

http://www.gaianstudies.org/articles4.htm

http://fasting.ygoy.com/benefits-of-water-fasting/

http://www.allaboutfasting.com/water-fasting.html

Couple of my fav youtube fasters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNaQ7SKNg1g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGyr9AWpcCo

hope that helps!!!

again for more, you can just google "water fasting" "health benefits of water fasting" "doctor recommended water fasting" , etc.
Jul 29, 2012, 7:51pm   #39
tPF addict
As a physician, this thread makes me VERY uncomfortable. I can't imagine any responsible physician recommending a 30-day water fast, especially for someone with inflammatory bowel disease. This thread has become very "pro-fast" and almost "pro-anorexia". Inviting another tPF member to be your "fasting buddy" crosses the line. I'm going to report this thread to the mods because I would hate for any of our young, impressionable tPF members to decide to "fast" and endure long-standing health problems as a result of this forum. We can discuss health issues responsibly, but when someone started recommending a diet of coffee, diet coke, and water, I knew this thread had taken a different route than discussing fasting for religious/spiritual reasons.

Note: that "doctor" Ben Kim is a chiropractor. I would recommend seeing a medical doctor (M.D. or D.O.) that has completed a residency (in Internal Medicine, Med-Peds, or Family Practice) and has ALSO completed an ACGME-approved fellowship in Gastroenterology.
Last edited Jul 29, 2012 at 8:00pm.
Jul 29, 2012, 8:01pm   #40
D
Account Deactivated
Originally Posted by L etoile
As a physician, this thread makes me VERY uncomfortable. I can't imagine any responsible physician recommending a 30-day water fast, especially for someone with inflammatory bowel disease. This thread has become very "pro-fast" and almost "pro-anorexia". Inviting another tPF member to be your "fasting buddy" crosses the line. I'm going to report this thread to the mods because I would hate for any of our young, impressionable tPF members to decide to "fast" and endure long-standing health problems as a result of this forum. We can discuss health issues responsibly, but when someone started recommending a diet of coffee, diet coke, and water, I knew this thread had taken a different route than discussing fasting for religious/spiritual reasons.
hahaha okay. yes. clearly one 30 day fast a year or a couple 7 day fast is the same as ANOREXIA and BULIMIA right?!

So isnt having a couple drinks, that basically makes you an alcoholic

NO ONE IS RECOMMENDING ANYTHING. IM SIMPLY STATING MY EXPERIENCE hense the HUGE LETTERS SAYING I AM NOT A DOCTOR IN MY FIRST POST.

and where does the header of this post say this is for religious/ spiritual reasons?! its asking if its healthy

whatever im all set with this thread. ill stick to purses and shoes

Oh and.... im 5 ft tall 110 lbs and PERFECTLY happy with my body <3

Oh and MODS I also dont think the feelings of one person should limit our freedom of speech and personal experiences because they dont like it. Anorexia is not just triggered by a fast but by SEVERAL factors including emotional and chemical imbalances in the brain, or so research has stated. Its not 100% known what causes them, but that its several factors ( I took a few psych classes in college)

Maybe we should take down the HTC diet thread also, since that consists of a person eating 500 calories a day WELL BELOW the physician recommended.
Last edited Jul 29, 2012 at 8:40pm.
Jul 29, 2012, 8:47pm   #41
I'm sorry but the "opinions" of not eating anything but water for a week or a month is not the kind of advice we're willing to give on tPF. Just because people do it on youtube and make up obscure websites talking about it doesn't mean it's safe.
We don't allow the promotion of OTC appetite drugs and we aren't going to allow this to continue.
DISCUSSION CLOSED
  HOME Body - Mind - Wellness Health and Fitness