Home > >

Birth Control - Going from Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo to generic Ortho Tri Cyclen

POST A REPLY
 
Thread Tools
Mar 20, 2011, 11:47pm   #46
k
kelib
Member
I did the exact same thing as you are, from name brand to generic Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and it was fine. I didn't even notice a difference! Good luck :)
May 2, 2012, 1:03pm   #47
N
Nibby
Member
I realize this discussion is a bit dated, but since I just found it today.

I have taken both type tri-cylene and other brands of birth control for PCOS, there is a huge difference on the effect they had on my body, each person will react differently. Going from 25 to 35 estrogen is significant. I take lo on a regular basis and was given the other by mistake, what a difference two letters make. I stopped having periods, gained weight and a few other not so attractive symptoms in the span of 3 weeks after being told "it's not that different".

There are other brands containing the same dosages as otl, if your doctor thinks the change is no big deal, find a new doctor.
Jun 14, 2012, 1:21pm   #48
v
vinitac
LadyV
I did the exact same thing that you did, I was on ortho-tri cyclen lo for almost 8 years and my insurance changed as well and I had no choice to change due my insurance as well. So I was forced to use ortho tri cyclen I did feel a difference. I know some people think the hormone level shouldn't be a big difference, but I felt it almost after 4 months of using it. I realized I went up a bra size. I gained about 8 pounds. I feel much more bloated a week before my period. And a little more moody then usually. Even my partner noticed a change. If I had the choice to go back to my old pill I would, but don't want to pay $50.
Aug 6, 2012, 8:56pm   #49
F
FlKat
Member
So Michey, how was the switch? I just found out that I am looking at paying $100/month for OTCL and am freaking out! I got insurance to be responsible and save $$$ but this is crazy. I've been on OTCL for a few years and weight gain and acne are a huge concern for me as I model for a living. Trinessa sounds awful and I am having problems finding altenatives that my insurance will cover. I'm currently with BCBS. Any help?
Aug 7, 2012, 8:39pm   #50
labelwhore04's Avatar
labelwhore04
Member
Originally Posted by FlKat
So Michey, how was the switch? I just found out that I am looking at paying $100/month for OTCL and am freaking out! I got insurance to be responsible and save $$$ but this is crazy. I've been on OTCL for a few years and weight gain and acne are a huge concern for me as I model for a living. Trinessa sounds awful and I am having problems finding altenatives that my insurance will cover. I'm currently with BCBS. Any help?
I don't know how old you are but if you're under 30, planned parenthood can give you birth control pills for a fraction of that price.
Aug 26, 2013, 10:28pm   #51
b
bri489
Member
I know this thread is really old but I'm also having the same problem. I've been on Ortho Tri Cyclen lo for 6 years (I'm 24 now) and absolutely love it. However, my insurance has just changed and it now costs me $75 a month! I'm wondering if anyone can verify that planned parenthood has Ortho Tri Cyclen lo not regular Ortho Tri Cyclen and if so how much they pay for it? Also, even though I have insurance can I still get birth control at planned parenthood?
Aug 26, 2013, 11:30pm   #52
No Cute's Avatar
No Cute
cupcake butt
Good luck, OP.
Sep 23, 2013, 9:02pm   #53
S
SoCalWifey
Member
Originally Posted by bri489
I'm wondering if anyone can verify that planned parenthood has Ortho Tri Cyclen lo not regular Ortho Tri Cyclen and if so how much they pay for it? Also, even though I have insurance can I still get birth control at planned parenthood?

Yes! I went to P.P. last week and was put on the brand name Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo. I was given 6 months of pills free of charge because I qualified for the "Family PACT" program which is free if you're under 200% of the federal poverty level. They also have a sliding fee scale based on income. They do take insurance, but I'm not sure how that works.

Oh and to the poster that said "if you're under 30, planned parenthood can give you birth control pills for a fraction of that price.", age doesn't really matter, I'm over 30 and they will take all patients under (I believe) 65 years of age.
Sep 30, 2013, 10:35am   #54
debssx3's Avatar
debssx3
Member
How is it so far? Ive been on ortho tricyclen for 5 years now and I love it! It helped with my break out and didnt gain weight. I did change bc once and that bc gave me really bad headaches. I forgot the name though. I hope it works out for you!!
Oct 1, 2013, 3:37pm   #55
terps08's Avatar
terps08
Member
I switched from Ortho Lo to TriSprintec as well years ago - it was awful. I was in college and it was only $5 a month. I had huge emotional swings, was angry/sad all the time. I was on it for 3 months before I had to switch back. I also gained weight at that time.

I've been back on Ortho Lo since then. Even though the copay is much more each month than the generic regular dose Ortho, it's not worth it to me. To my knowledge (and my gyno's) there is currently no generic version of Ortho Lo, only a generic version of regular dose Ortho.

Obviously everyone's body is different, so I hope the generic switch works for you gals, but it didn't for me.
Oct 1, 2013, 4:59pm   #56
debssx3's Avatar
debssx3
Member
Originally Posted by SoCalWifey
Yes! I went to P.P. last week and was put on the brand name Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo. I was given 6 months of pills free of charge because I qualified for the "Family PACT" program which is free if you're under 200% of the federal poverty level. They also have a sliding fee scale based on income. They do take insurance, but I'm not sure how that works.

Oh and to the poster that said "if you're under 30, planned parenthood can give you birth control pills for a fraction of that price.", age doesn't really matter, I'm over 30 and they will take all patients under (I believe) 65 years of age.
Thanks for the info! Ive been going to PP for a few years now and Ive always gotten them free bec I was in school and had no income, but now that Im working I wasnt sure if they were going to make me pay for it. Im almost out and wasnt sure if I should go to my doctor or to PP still. Maybe Ill try going to PP ans see if I can get it cheaper there.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >  
TOP

Thread Tools