Home Body - Mind - Wellness Health and Fitness

Birth Control - Going from Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo to generic Ortho Tri Cyclen


POST A REPLY
 
Thread Tools
May 14, 2009, 5:20pm   #1
Michy1215's Avatar
Thread Starter
Member
Since I've graduated college, I haven't been covered my mom's health insurance. I've been on ortho tri-cyclen lo for 2 years, where each month I would either get a free sample from my doctor, or I'd have the precscription filled for about $5. (my mom's health insurance is amazing) Since I've been under my own insurance, I've gotten away with getting the free samples of ortho tri cyclen lo from my doctor until now. He is no longer giving out free samples and my health insurance requires a $250 deductible on name brand drugs.

Therefore, it will cost me $56 a month for bc. No way. I asked my doctor for a generic (generics are $15 with my insurance) and since there isn't one for OTCLo, he gave me the generic for regular ortho tri cyclen. I told him that I didn't really want that since the hormone levels are different and I wanted something that would be somewhat equal to the hormone levels of OTCLo but he gave me the Rx anyway and told me to try it and see if I like it since they effect each person differently.

I walked away really hating my doctor. I know that some pills make people break out, gain weight, and increase breast sizes. I really don't want to experience any of those things and since I didn't have any of those effects with OTCLo, I'm so paranoid that the hormone level in the generic OTC will give me these effects.

The generic that I was given is Tri Sprintec and I wanted to know if anyone here has been on it and how it effected you. I just took my first pill 10 minutes ago. So far so good. lol
May 14, 2009, 7:00pm   #2
lorihmatthews's Avatar
Doberhuahua!
You should be fine, I've taken generics of all prescriptions for years because usually that's all my health insurance will allow. I've had no issues with any prescriptions whatsoever. If the first prescription didn't cause any side effects, I wouldn't expect anything different from the generic.
May 14, 2009, 7:04pm   #3
Michy1215's Avatar
Thread Starter
Member
Originally Posted by lorihmatthews
You should be fine, I've taken generics of all prescriptions for years because usually that's all my health insurance will allow. I've had no issues with any prescriptions whatsoever. If the first prescription didn't cause any side effects, I wouldn't expect anything different from the generic.
The generic is different. I used to take orth tri cyclen Lo, which has a lower hormone dosage. Since there isn't a generic for it, I was given a perscription for the gerneric of regular ortho tri cyclen.
May 14, 2009, 7:34pm   #4
macska's Avatar
Member
I haven't been on either of the above-mentioned birth control, but I have gone from a name-brand birth control to the generic version. The hormones in the generic are the same as the name-brand, it's the filler in the pills that is different. In my case I ended up with less side-effects on the generic version, which was great.

If you are worried about effectiveness (i.e. stopping unwanted pregnancies), then you have nothing to worry about; they are both the same.
May 14, 2009, 8:05pm   #5
Michy1215's Avatar
Thread Starter
Member
lol am I not explaining this correctly?? I'm not going from one medication to the generic. I am going from one medication to the generic of ANOTHER medication.

There is Ortho tri cyclen Lo (A) and Ortho Tri Cyclen (B)
I am going from A to the generic of B. The first one has a lower hormonal dosage in the pills so I want to know how it has effected people going from the low dosage to the higher dosage.
May 14, 2009, 8:12pm   #6
NIUiceprincess's Avatar
Member
I was on the regular Ortho Tricyclen for about 2 years with no side effects whatsoever, and then when the Lo came out, the gyne at the university recommended it because of lower hormone levels. i've been on it ever since. I haven't had any side effects (breaking out, gaining weight, mood swings etc) from either version. And from what I understand the FDA requires that generics mirror what the regular med it is to substitute for. I also use generics for my 2 rheumatoid arthritis meds and I have no side effects.

The only reason generics get created for signature drugs is because the patents for the signature drugs run out (i believe they are only good for 10-15 years, then the govt requires them to release the formula so generics can be made).
May 14, 2009, 8:16pm   #7
Michy1215's Avatar
Thread Starter
Member
Originally Posted by NIUiceprincess
I was on the regular Ortho Tricyclen for about 2 years with no side effects whatsoever, and then when the Lo came out, the gyne at the university recommended it because of lower hormone levels. i've been on it ever since. I haven't had any side effects (breaking out, gaining weight, mood swings etc) from either version. And from what I understand the FDA requires that generics mirror what the regular med it is to substitute for. I also use generics for my 2 rheumatoid arthritis meds and I have no side effects.

The only reason generics get created for signature drugs is because the patents for the signature drugs run out (i believe they are only good for 10-15 years, then the govt requires them to release the formula so generics can be made).
thanks for that info! I never knew that. If it weren't for the generic, I wouldn't be on birth control anymore because it's too expensive with my insurance. I'm hoping I won't hav any side effects either. I read on another forum that one of the side effects that someone experienced was that they lost weight from it, approx 25 pounds. I wouldn't mind that side effect lol
May 14, 2009, 8:16pm   #8
JSH812's Avatar
horses&hounds
simmer down.....

This is straight from the website --

ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN® LO is a "triphasic" birth control pill just like ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN®. While both ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN® LO and ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN® deliver low levels of progestin over the course of your cycle, ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN® LO delivers a lower amount of estrogen—25 mcg compared to 35 mcg.

I realize that's not the whole answer to your question. Back in the day I took the regular Ortho Tri Cyclen and it made me crazy. I'm not a fan of bcp, instead I use the ring and enjoy the even level of hormones.

Honestly, I wouldn't take generic birth control ANYTHING. I don't want to become a statistic in the package insert. I'm in pharmaceutical sales, and I do use generic medications, but three I would never use (if I had to take all of them) would be birth control, any cardiovascular medication and thyroid meds. But that's just my two cents.
May 14, 2009, 8:17pm   #9
JSH812's Avatar
horses&hounds
And PS) I could explain the true differences between generic medications and brand name medications but I don't want to put everyone to sleep...

PPS) Branded drugs get their patent for 17 years.

Hey Michy - if you PM me your insurance plan (and state you're in), I may be able to do some quick research and REALLY help you out...
May 14, 2009, 8:18pm   #10
NIUiceprincess's Avatar
Member
Is there a cheaper brand that you can use? I think insurance or without insurance Ortho (either version) is one of the more expensive bcp brands.
May 14, 2009, 8:19pm   #11
Michy1215's Avatar
Thread Starter
Member
Originally Posted by JSH812
I realize that's not the whole answer to your question. Back in the day I took the regular Ortho Tri Cyclen and it made me crazy. I'm not a fan of bcp, instead I use the ring and enjoy the even level of hormones.
Please explain
May 14, 2009, 8:21pm   #12
Michy1215's Avatar
Thread Starter
Member
Originally Posted by NIUiceprincess
Is there a cheaper brand that you can use? I think insurance or without insurance Ortho (either version) is one of the more expensive bcp brands.
How do I ind this out? If I call my health insurance provider and ask them what the cheaper ones are will they be able to tell me?
May 14, 2009, 8:23pm   #13
JSH812's Avatar
horses&hounds
Originally Posted by Michy1215
Please explain
Well it's funny, I was just talking about this with my acupuncturist today. It made me crazy because if I didn't take it at the EXACT time each day, my mood swings were intense, my emotions just were NOT in check, I felt up and down and mental all the time... and really, all 3 of my roommates (at the time) suffered from the same thing. IT MIGHT BE DIFFERENT FOR YOU. (And I'm not trying to scare you) but all the OB/GYNs that I see on a daily basis do not Rx these brands of bcp anymore because of these complaints.
May 14, 2009, 8:25pm   #14
JSH812's Avatar
horses&hounds
Originally Posted by Michy1215
How do I ind this out? If I call my health insurance provider and ask them what the cheaper ones are will they be able to tell me?
PM me your info (insurance plan and state) and I can give you options right away....
May 14, 2009, 8:32pm   #15
twochubbycheeks's Avatar
..just KEEP swimming
I have the same prob too!

I used to take the branded ortho tri cyclen lo... then that I am in my DH's insurance (TriCare), they prescribe me the generic one which is TriNessa. I feel and see that I am retaining water with this one. Unlike with OTCL, I dont feel any change at all which is good.

I really want to get OTCL, but I doubt they will give me that 'coz it costs more.
POST A REPLY
  HOME Body - Mind - Wellness Health and Fitness  
TOP

Thread Tools