Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Best way to cure depression?

POST A REPLY

Aug 12, 2012, 12:36am   #1
mcb100
Hi, all! I was just wondering what the best way to cure depression is. I've pretty much had it my whole life. I've been to different psychologists, I even stayed with one for pretty much a year but I always stopped going.....I don't really feel 100% comfortable talking about that stuff in person with people who I don't know that well. And to be quite honest, I don't have many friends. I do have one best friend, but she doesn't really have time for me anymore so we only see each other maybe once a month. I am medicine, but I feel like it is not helping at all. (I am on a low dose, so maybe that's why?) Pretty much everyone in my family has depression...dunno if it's hereditary or not. I've tried exercising a lot and it didn't really help a whole lot for me. Ideally, I wanted to try hanging out/visiting friends more to see if it would help but I don't really have anyone to hang out with or visit at this time to be quite honest. I do absolutely love shopping, but after I buy something new, the happiness tends to fade after a few days. Does anyone have any advice?
Aug 12, 2012, 5:56am   #2
nessie805
I too have suffered with some bouts of depression. Excersise does help every so often maybe u can take a "class" at you local Gym/Ymca that way you can meet people in the process. Do you have any siblings/cousins around your age maybe you can hang out and make plans to go out?

I also do think if u have an idea of what triggers your depression you may want to try and weed out any and i mean any "negativity" you have around you. I know when u have negative things around it doesnt make
Depression easier. I do also believe it is in the genes.
I hope i gave you some ideas on where to start or classes u maybe interested in and u can start meeting people that way also. I wish you the best of luck OP!!
Aug 12, 2012, 7:38am   #3
g
gavindale
LV lover
Writing in a journal helps. You can look back and see what made you sad that day and hopefully find ways to avoid it. I also find that listening to music makes my mind at ease. Hope this helps.
Aug 12, 2012, 4:20pm   #4
H
HelloKittyHugs
I hear ya, I have close to the same story. I find that scheduling helps me tons. I like to make to do lists (always start with something you have done ). When my meds don't seem to be working, I tend to be a little agoraphobic and feeling like I have accomplished something seems to help even if I don't leave the house. I also try to spend a long time getting ready (putting on nice clothes, makeup, etc.) even when I am not going outside, it just makes me feel a little happier with myself. You might want to talk to your doctor about getting your dosage upped or switching medication? Wishing the best for you sweetie!
Aug 12, 2012, 11:04pm   #5
J
Jesssh
I read a lot of self-help books which taught me how to think about things. I think I just went through what everyone goes through though, not anything clinical or physiology-based.

Now I understand how dangerous it is to think negative thoughts, or put negative comments out there.

Everyone's different.
Aug 13, 2012, 9:13am   #6
v
vhdos
I would speak to your doctor about adjusting or switching your medication.
Aug 13, 2012, 4:33pm   #7
legaldiva
I've been prone to depression, too, for years, and it led to some very self-destructive habits. I attend some group therapy, see my individual therapist weekly and do a ton to ward off negative thinking: I run CONSTANTLY, try so hard to eat healthy and have started working on my spirituality.

Having a sense of gratitude for what I have and focusing on how to give back to others really helps me, especially dealing with my consumerism (which some might call compulsive shopping). I often have that same feeling: the rush of buying something new which wears off really fast.

You can PM me if you want more details or just want to chat. You are not alone, even if it feels that way. (((((hugs)))))
Aug 13, 2012, 4:46pm   #8
lorihmatthews
A taste for the arts
In my opinion you should not be taking medication unless you are being closely monitored by a psychiatrist and having therapy sessions concurrently. I'm assuming your GP gave you the medication?

GPs really don't have the background for all these medications that psychiatrists do that are on the market today. Did your doctor tell you that each medication on the market will only work for about 33% of the population who takes it, and that it is a trial and error until you find one that works for you? You probably need a different medication.

I'd urge you to find a psychiatrist who you like and trust, who can work with you to find a medication that will work for you.

I had moderate post traumatic stress symptoms and anxiety four years ago after I took a bad fall and required general anesthesia during surgery to fix a broken wrist. Part of it was a bad reaction to the anesthesia. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat.
Aug 14, 2012, 12:28am   #9
kimberf
Loves the Lindy!
Originally Posted by vhdos
I would speak to your doctor about adjusting or switching your medication.
I think this is a really good idea. I have a number of friends who have had to try more than one medication to find the right one. But they knew when they did because "It was like the lights suddenly came on. It was just not as dark anymore." I personally went on meds when I had PPD after my DD was born, and once I got to the right dosage, the difference was amazing. I cut the dose in half after about 6 months and am doing fine on that, but initially, I needed more. Finding the right dose made me a better mom, wife, and friend, and a much happier person.

I do agree with Lori that you should be working with someone, but IMO, I think you are just as well off going back to a psychologist or MFT as a psychiatrist. Talk therapy in conjunction with meds is shown to be most effective. Your GP can go through the trial and error process of finding the right meds for you, but the talking part is more critical, and a lot of psychiatrists don't offer that.

Otherwise, making yourself get out there and be social is important. Much as depression can make you want to stay home and do nothing, this is the wrong thing to do. Try to find things that give you joy or at least satisfaction, whatever they are -- knitting, gardening, exercise, pets, volunteering, whatever it is. Go out with people you don't know as well and see if they'll be new friends. Fake it 'til you make it, as they say -- after a while, you'll discover if you make yourself go out enough, you are eventually having fun...

I wish you all the best.
Aug 26, 2012, 10:55am   #10
b
behave
Account Deactivated
get rich
Aug 26, 2012, 5:08pm   #11
boxermom
The answer is different for everyone.

If taking anti-depressant medication, it can take months for the full effects to kick in, so it takes a lot of patience and experience on the part of the patient and the doctor. I was switched off something that worked to something that didn't (insurance company demanded it to save money and the *doctor* caved in to them). I switched doctors and went back to the orgiinal Rx and it took 5 months before I felt the full effects of the original medicine that helped. It can get very discouraging.

During this time I have also been seeing a counselor so for me they go hand-in-hand. Many people say exercise helps also.

Good luck finding the right combination that works for you.
Aug 31, 2012, 3:40am   #12
cat321
i totally understand because i feel like that sometimes and what makes my depression worst is that i eat when i'm depressed and in the end i gain weight.... fml. but it's slightly more better now because i have a goal of losing weight? and i'm still too rational to think of the high price that i have to pay if i were to meet a psychologist... but my suggestions are probably like volunteering, or even going to church (or other religion) because it gives a more positive energy and feels like you're more connected to the world.

i have the same problem with friends too. i don't have many friends. n i do have a few best friends but they always seems so close with someone else and sometimes it's just hard to find someone that could understand and talk to you.... :( wish u all the best :)
Aug 31, 2012, 8:18pm   #13
a
adoringcarmine
i understand how you feel... ive had depression for about threeish years now which is sad because i am only 19. it gets really bad sometimes and there was so many periods in my life that i wanted to die and planned on killing myself... i couldnt even be bothered to get out of bed and do it. i used to scream around my bedroom floor with sadness/pain and cry for hours wishing i was dead. im a little better now and am starting to see the way forward. you have to do things that you enjoy in life and not do what you dislike. i moved cities and have lost so many friends but you really have to put yourself first when you have depression to get through it. slowly things WILL get better - after all it can't get any worse. sometimes i worry i will have those thoughts and feelings come back to me but you really do just have to push them out of your head. i try and think there's this chest (trunk i think americans say) in my head and you have to put all the bad thoughts in it. and then lock it and then put it in a room and lock the door and then put it in another room and lock it an so-on untill the bad thoughts are very very far away... you may still see them but they should not be the main focus in your head. i know this may sound odd but i feel it helps me a little. in the world there are always bad things that happen but there will always be more good than bad. that's what the point of life is i feel - to enjoy it (and help others.)
wow i have written way too much there... but if you ever want to talk to someone i will be here for you. send me a message if you need anything and please don't give up.
big hugs,
emily xx
Sep 2, 2012, 7:37pm   #14
e
eurasiangirl
Originally Posted by lorihmatthews
In my opinion you should not be taking medication unless you are being closely monitored by a psychiatrist and having therapy sessions concurrently. I'm assuming your GP gave you the medication?

GPs really don't have the background for all these medications that psychiatrists do that are on the market today. Did your doctor tell you that each medication on the market will only work for about 33% of the population who takes it, and that it is a trial and error until you find one that works for you? You probably need a different medication.

I'd urge you to find a psychiatrist who you like and trust, who can work with you to find a medication that will work for you.
Definitely all of this. Also OP, have you had blood work done any time recently? You may want to make an appointment, get the blood work done, and discuss your results with a doctor/registered dietician as being deficient in things like omega-3's, vitamin D, folate, S-adenosyl-L-methionine, magnesium, B6, etc can lead to depression/depressive symptoms. Also, hormone imbalances can cause moods to go out of whack.

Under the care of a doctor/nutritionist/RD, perhaps they can suggest ways to increase your intake of Omega-3's (salmon and other oily fish, fish oil, flax, etc.), increase your protein intake and healthy fats like coconut oil and avocado (super important for optimal brain function and proper firing of neurotransmitters) and these dietary changes can increase the levels of serotonin in the brain naturally. Avoid caffeine. Try to get out into the sunlight to help your body manufacture Vitamin D. Find some sort of exercise that you enjoy (walking, running, yoga, pilates, horseback riding, swimming, whatever) and try to do it 2 days a week, and slowly increase the frequency every few weeks. If you rush into an exercise regimen you may burn yourself out and become discouraged and stop exercising altogether - we don't want that. It's better to set small goals, stick with them, and slowly increase the frequency and really enjoy what you're doing - whether it be the same activity every day, or a different one every day.

Meds can only help so much, you also have to remember to nurture yourself.

Dr Joan Larson has a great book about combating depression naturally, you may want to check that out too.
Sep 3, 2012, 1:51pm   #15
a
aremwellness
Originally Posted by mcb100
Hi, all! I was just wondering what the best way to cure depression is. I've pretty much had it my whole life. I've been to different psychologists, I even stayed with one for pretty much a year but I always stopped going.....I don't really feel 100% comfortable talking about that stuff in person with people who I don't know that well. And to be quite honest, I don't have many friends. I do have one best friend, but she doesn't really have time for me anymore so we only see each other maybe once a month. I am medicine, but I feel like it is not helping at all. (I am on a low dose, so maybe that's why?) Pretty much everyone in my family has depression...dunno if it's hereditary or not. I've tried exercising a lot and it didn't really help a whole lot for me. Ideally, I wanted to try hanging out/visiting friends more to see if it would help but I don't really have anyone to hang out with or visit at this time to be quite honest. I do absolutely love shopping, but after I buy something new, the happiness tends to fade after a few days. Does anyone have any advice?
have a positive attitude towards life and things around u in general. for instance, if u see a glass half filled with water. instead of saying that it is half empty, why dont u think that it is half full...does it make sense?
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >