Up To 40% Off

Net-A-Porter

Up To 50% Off Designer Sale

Bloomingdale's

Up to 50% Off Big Brown Bag Sale

ASOS

Black Friday 30% Off With Code: TGIBF
Home > >

Anyone Else Dealing with Depression and/or Anxiety?

POST A REPLY

Feb 16, 2012, 9:32am   #151
boxermom
Originally Posted by ChanelHoarder
Can anyone please share their experience with Zoloft?

Does anyone else feel really alone and sad or even kind of lame for feeling that way? I know I do and it doesn't help with being depressed.
There is a thread about Zoloft and anxiety--have you checked it to see if any replies in it are helpful? I've never taken Zoloft; just Lexapro, then Celexa, and now back to Lexapro, but I identify with your feelings. It can take a long time to find the right medication and amount for each patient. When you are feeling down, you feel like it will always be like that; it's a very helpless feeling.
Feb 17, 2012, 5:07am   #152
a
amanica
Depression is tough. It's best to find a way to communicate and talk to people who you can trust. A support system is the best way to get you through, because in the end that's what is needed.
Feb 24, 2012, 1:55am   #153
chloebagfreak
Balenciaga Freak now
Originally Posted by summer2815
It's funny you mention that as I have Celiac! This is the root of my anxiety (although I seem to be in reverse as I had my diagnosis and then came the anxiety...not the other way around). For years I was afflicted with stomach issues and was constantly running to the bathroom and barely making it in time (middle of class, out to eat, at work, shopping, etc). I finally was diagnosed with something else (which was treatable) and then a few years later, when I started not to feel well again, I was diagnosed with Celiac. A few months after that diagnosis it was as almost as someone "hit a switch" and my anxiety was turned on. I suddeny couldn't be a passenger in a car, take public transportion or be somewhere where it would be obvious I was going #2 (ie: in a one bathroom apartment at a party or during a work meeting). Not sure why this occurred after I became healthly and stopped constantly going to the bathoom! It was as if all those years of running to the bathroom caught up to me and took me over. I wonder, pretty much everyday, how I will ever overcome this and conquer this fear. I just cannot wrap my head around it.
I can certainly relate to what you are going through. I had colitis at age 18 and it made me go to the bathroom all of the time. After having it for over twenty years , it became a pattern of getting anxious and then needing to find a bathroom quickly. I had to quit school and various jobs as well. I even got it on dates, so I hated dating.
I found that Lomotil helped when I was younger, and now I use immodium or I take a half of a children's Benadryl. Most of the body's serotonin receptors are in the colon and intestines, so mood changes like depression and anxiety can get worse if you are running to the bathroom a lot and vice-versa.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Keep trying different things and you will find what works for your body.
Feb 27, 2012, 9:43am   #154
lpaigenyc
Why is it that sometimes it just takes one thing to bring on anxiety? I can be 'okay' one moment but the next completely anxious and stresses. My DH is traveling today which usually makes me anxious (today is no exception) but one moment I'm okay and hanging in there and the next I'm anxious and worried. I've been on Prozac going on three weeks now, how long until it's supposed to help? I'm also taking Xanax at night which used to help me sleep but now I've been waking up at night with anxiety. I just want to be 'normal' and not feel this anxiety every time he goes away.
Feb 27, 2012, 9:54am   #155
limom
Originally Posted by lpaigenyc
Why is it that sometimes it just takes one thing to bring on anxiety? I can be 'okay' one moment but the next completely anxious and stresses. My DH is traveling today which usually makes me anxious (today is no exception) but one moment I'm okay and hanging in there and the next I'm anxious and worried. I've been on Prozac going on three weeks now, how long until it's supposed to help? I'm also taking Xanax at night which used to help me sleep but now I've been waking up at night with anxiety. I just want to be 'normal' and not feel this anxiety every time he goes away.
Speak with your doctor. It is imperative that you sleep 8 hours uninterrupted.

You probably are not realizing that you feel better. Write down how many times you have panic attacks and what TRIGER them. With a bit of work, you too will conquer this manageable disease.
Spring is coming. Take advantage of the beautiful, sunny weather to spend time outdoor. It helps (unless you have allergies)

What do you enjoy doing? For example, I love gardening and it is very therapeutic for me.
I use to do ballet and went back to dancing. Mastering my body helps calm my nerves

Also, keep a gratitude journal. It helps. It does not have to be a novel. At bedtime, write one thing that you appreciated that day. It can be anything. It is so gratifying.
You can do it.
Feb 27, 2012, 6:58pm   #156
lpaigenyc
Originally Posted by limom

Speak with your doctor. It is imperative that you sleep 8 hours uninterrupted.

You probably are not realizing that you feel better. Write down how many times you have panic attacks and what TRIGER them. With a bit of work, you too will conquer this manageable disease.
Spring is coming. Take advantage of the beautiful, sunny weather to spend time outdoor. It helps (unless you have allergies)

What do you enjoy doing? For example, I love gardening and it is very therapeutic for me.
I use to do ballet and went back to dancing. Mastering my body helps calm my nerves

Also, keep a gratitude journal. It helps. It does not have to be a novel. At bedtime, write one thing that you appreciated that day. It can be anything. It is so gratifying.
You can do it.
Thank you so much. Unfortunately I know exactly what triggers my anxiety and it's something I have no control over, it's only when my DH travels on business. I worry that something will happen, something awful. It's crazy but it's a real fear and I get very anxious and upset. I have PTSD from an event in my past and this is something I'm trying to manage, with the help of meds and therapy. I was put on prozac and Xanax about two and a half weeks ago but I feel like it hasn't helped yet. I feel calmer but not when he travels.
Funny you said that about a journal as I just started one, I actually wrote only one paragraph but I do want to write more. With him traveling I have to not only take care of myself but my young children as well so I run myself ragged during the day and by nighttime I'm so tired. I don't typically get 8 hours of sleep but I try.
I don't have a hobby, isn't that nuts? I try to work out but don't always get a chance to. I wish I could find something but between work and taking care of the kids it's hard!!!
Mar 29, 2012, 8:04am   #157
meeeks
life is great
I've had my fair share of dealing with depression... It's my evil twin sister. It affects everything in my life including my marriage and bank accounts. Sigh. Just the way life goes I guess. It's something I can't even open up to my dh. :(
Mar 29, 2012, 8:28am   #158
lpaigenyc
Originally Posted by meeeks
I've had my fair share of dealing with depression... It's my evil twin sister. It affects everything in my life including my marriage and bank accounts. Sigh. Just the way life goes I guess. It's something I can't even open up to my dh. :(
Have you ever tried talking to a therapist? Depression is something you should not go through alone, it's hard enough on yourself. I suffer from PTSD which causes extreme anxiety and stress, mostly when my DH travels. It got bad enough that I finally sought help. I'm on meds now in addition to seeing a therapist. I think it's helped but it's an ongoing process.
Please get help if it's interfering with your life, especially with your husband if you think he'll be supportive and understanding. You don't have to go through this alone, there is help out there.
Apr 8, 2012, 1:45am   #159
Kathrin
Originally Posted by ChanelHoarder
Can anyone please share their experience with Zoloft?

Does anyone else feel really alone and sad or even kind of lame for feeling that way? I know I do and it doesn't help with being depressed.

I know this post was a while ago. I was diagnosed with depression when I was 13, and was on and off Zoloft probably up to about 20. (Since then I have been on Effexor, Effexor + Avanza, now back to just on Effexor).

It originally worked well for me in terms of depression, but eventually stopped working (which was why I went on Effexor). In terms of side effects, the main one was nausea (quite bad) for the first few days. Do remember having a bit of a dry mouth as well but it wasn't significant.

Medications work differently for everyone, so unfortunately sometimes it is trial and error until you find one that works well.
Apr 9, 2012, 12:46am   #160
k
kirsten

Thank you so much. Unfortunately I know exactly what triggers my anxiety and it's something I have no control over, it's only when my DH travels on business. I worry that something will happen, something awful. It's crazy but it's a real fear and I get very anxious and upset. I have PTSD from an event in my past and this is something I'm trying to manage, with the help of meds and therapy. I was put on prozac and Xanax about two and a half weeks ago but I feel like it hasn't helped yet. I feel calmer but not when he travels.
Funny you said that about a journal as I just started one, I actually wrote only one paragraph but I do want to write more. With him traveling I have to not only take care of myself but my young children as well so I run myself ragged during the day and by nighttime I'm so tired. I don't typically get 8 hours of sleep but I try.
I don't have a hobby, isn't that nuts? I try to work out but don't always get a chance to. I wish I could find something but between work and taking care of the kids it's hard!!!
Hopefully you are feeling some relief with your new medication. It does take some time to kick in. I personally wouldn't even mess with the Xanax though. It is not only addicting but I have found it makes me more anxious/depressed during the withdrawal, which is probably why people get hooked on it. I was prescribed 10 pills and have only taken 1. I keep them in my purse just kind of as a safety aid. I know they are there if I really need one but I never actually get to the point where I do. Just the thought of them being there gives me enough security.

Hobbies are also great stress relievers and bring joy. Even something simple like paint by numbers. :)
Apr 9, 2012, 8:44am   #161
lpaigenyc
Originally Posted by kirsten

Hopefully you are feeling some relief with your new medication. It does take some time to kick in. I personally wouldn't even mess with the Xanax though. It is not only addicting but I have found it makes me more anxious/depressed during the withdrawal, which is probably why people get hooked on it. I was prescribed 10 pills and have only taken 1. I keep them in my purse just kind of as a safety aid. I know they are there if I really need one but I never actually get to the point where I do. Just the thought of them being there gives me enough security.

Hobbies are also great stress relievers and bring joy. Even something simple like paint by numbers. :)
I need a hobby, that's for sure. Something I can focus on that will take my mind off of my anxiety. I take 30mg of Prozac plus a half a tablet of a .25 Xanax. At night I take .50mg of Xanax. It helps me sleep which is one thing I needed. When I asked the dr about the whole addiction thing (I've been on it for close to three months now) she tells me not to worry about it. I told her I don't want to become addicted to it but she said I'm taking such a low dosage I shouldn't worry...Now I wonder if I should worry! She's all about the meds which is a bit concerning!
I'm feeling okay but still don't think the meds are 'working' yet and it's been awhile. This is so frustrating!
Apr 9, 2012, 2:28pm   #162
k
kirsten
I need a hobby, that's for sure. Something I can focus on that will take my mind off of my anxiety. I take 30mg of Prozac plus a half a tablet of a .25 Xanax. At night I take .50mg of Xanax. It helps me sleep which is one thing I needed. When I asked the dr about the whole addiction thing (I've been on it for close to three months now) she tells me not to worry about it. I told her I don't want to become addicted to it but she said I'm taking such a low dosage I shouldn't worry...Now I wonder if I should worry! She's all about the meds which is a bit concerning!
I'm feeling okay but still don't think the meds are 'working' yet and it's been awhile. This is so frustrating!
A lot of doctors sadly are all about meds. Majority of them get paid to recommend these meds to their patients. They are getting paid big bucks to hand them out.

However in my case, the antidepressant I took did work for my anxiety and depression. I was prescribed Paxil, then switched to Wellbutrin, then to Lexapro and I am back on Paxil. Paxil seems to help me the most with my anxiety. Had I not tried meds and waited my anxiety out more maybe I could have got past it, but I really was at my wits end when I was prescribed it. I have tried to come off it a couple times but my anxiety will come back eventually.

If you are not feeling some kind of relief I'd make another appt with your doctor. Maybe you need to up your dosage, try something else or a combo of things. Everyone responds to medication differently and sometimes it takes some switching things up to find what works best for you.

If you ever want to talk about anxiety/medication feel free to PM me. I am not an expert at it but I definitely have experienced it throughout my life. Sometimes it just feels good to talk to other people who can relate.
Apr 9, 2012, 3:34pm   #163
A
AmelieNYC92
I've been dealing with depression for six years now. My mother is verbally and emotionally abusive to me everyday. She stood over me while I was having an asthma attack and refused to help me and told me to get out while I was clinging to my chest. She always makes it a point that I will always be last and my brother is first. When I was in high school she never met any one of my teaches, met any of my friends, or picked up a report card. She always told me that would die a horrible death and no one would ever love me. My birthday is on the 15th and my brother's is on the 10th of this month and she constantly rubs in my face that she'll be celebrating his birthday and not mine. She's done that for the past 4 years and it's like now I let my birthday pass me by without even knowing it. She's crushed every dream that I've had. Every friendship I've had she's ruined and she messed up my relationship with my brother and now we're not even close as we used to. She's spat in my face and reduced me to tears and then laughs. She always talks negatively about me to family and people I don't know. In the living rooms she put her picture up and my brother's and didn't put mine up. I've put on about 15-20 lbs and I feel so ashamed of myself and how I look. My hair has been thinning out and my skin is horrible. The height of my depression was in my junior year of high school and I wanted to commit suicide and instead of hugging me the degraded me. I wake up every morning with a empty and heavy heart. I spend most of my days by myself while my brother and her stay in the same room and we live together. It's hard.
Apr 9, 2012, 4:09pm   #164
GhstDreamer
Lady Philosophy
Originally Posted by AmelieNYC92
I've been dealing with depression for six years now. My mother is verbally and emotionally abusive to me everyday. She stood over me while I was having an asthma attack and refused to help me and told me to get out while I was clinging to my chest. She always makes it a point that I will always be last and my brother is first. When I was in high school she never met any one of my teaches, met any of my friends, or picked up a report card. She always told me that would die a horrible death and no one would ever love me. My birthday is on the 15th and my brother's is on the 10th of this month and she constantly rubs in my face that she'll be celebrating his birthday and not mine. She's done that for the past 4 years and it's like now I let my birthday pass me by without even knowing it. She's crushed every dream that I've had. Every friendship I've had she's ruined and she messed up my relationship with my brother and now we're not even close as we used to. She's spat in my face and reduced me to tears and then laughs. She always talks negatively about me to family and people I don't know. In the living rooms she put her picture up and my brother's and didn't put mine up. I've put on about 15-20 lbs and I feel so ashamed of myself and how I look. My hair has been thinning out and my skin is horrible. The height of my depression was in my junior year of high school and I wanted to commit suicide and instead of hugging me the degraded me. I wake up every morning with a empty and heavy heart. I spend most of my days by myself while my brother and her stay in the same room and we live together. It's hard.
I'm very sorry to hear the ongoing situation you are going through. Medication really won't do anything for you - I recommend you see a therapist/counselor regarding the way you're feeling about your family and your living situation. The only thing I highly suggest is that you need to get out of your situation. The environment you are living in is extremely toxic, even if it means living somewhere with roommates, taking a part-time job, etc. you need out. It might be difficult at first but I strongly believe you'll feel much better about yourself the longer you're not in that toxic environment anymore.
Apr 10, 2012, 10:06am   #165
lpaigenyc
Originally Posted by AmelieNYC92
omg that is horrible, do you have friends or family you can turn to? Even a teacher at school or the guidance counselor. You have got to get out of that situation, medication won't help, you need to seek out the help of a therapist or counselor, now. No mother should ever treat a child that way, she needs serious help but you need to get out of there. Talk to someone you trust. please get help!
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >