Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

AIRBORNE: Invented By A 2nd Grade Teacher

POST A REPLY

May 23, 2007, 11:36pm   #1
Prada's Meadow

Here’s an almost-homemade cold remedy that supposedly works wonders.
This dietary supplement was invented by a 2nd grade school teacher who was tired of catching colds every winter.
Airborne Effervescent Cold Remedy was developed by Victoria Knight-McDowell, a school teacher who was sick of catching colds in class and on airplanes. Helped by a team of health professionals, teacher Victoria patented a dietary supplement made up of seven herbs with a formulation of amino acids, anti-oxidants and electrolytes.
Based on chinese medicine, the supplement contains organic Herbal Extracts (Lonicera, Forsythia, Schizonepeta, Ginger, Chinese Vitex, Isatis Root, Echinacea), and several minerals known to help improve the immune system: Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Magnesium, Zinc and Selenium.

According to the Airborne website, there are two ways to take this tablet.
  • As cold prevention - before entering crowded, potentially germ-infested
  • environments. In any case, one Airborne tablet will provide 3 hours of protection against the common cold.
  • The second way to use Airborne effervescent tablets is to take them at the the first sign of a cold symptom. If you catch the onset of a cold quick enough, you will be able to prevent the cold from turning into a full blown nasty cold. If you feel that itching in your throat and start to sneeze, take the Airborne cold remedy right away.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...006-14,GGLG:en

Does anybody use this ? Apparently it is suppose to really work.
May 23, 2007, 11:43pm   #2
BagAngel
Louis Vuitton Addict
Wow I will be buying this, if someone sneezes near me I get the flu LOL
However, I think it is totally psychosomatic since I watched a documentary on the journey of a sneeze
Why oh why do people not have the manners to cover their mouths when sneezing? This is how germs are passed!
Haha funny story, I usually wear a scarf - McQueen skull scarf, when I hear a sneeze I pull it over my mouth & nose if my kids are with me they are mortified LOLOLOL
BTW I empathise with the teacher who developed this, I used to be a teacher & had so many colds & flus, (airborne viruses) it was unreal! Better now since I left!

FYI Prada the links to the website are not working for me, I so want to buy this LOL if you can send me link please
Last edited May 23, 2007 at 11:49pm. Reason: add
May 23, 2007, 11:59pm   #3
Prada's Meadow
http://www.epinions.com/content_195424980612

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp76905_33...lt_formula.htm

Try this link. This is Airborne for Adults......... Just added another link.
Last edited May 24, 2007 at 12:11am.
May 24, 2007, 2:03am   #4
melikemochi
It's just a strong multivitamin plus zinc. Its quite expensive IMO. I don't think it does anything a multivitamin can't but my sister swears by it, I think that psychologically, its marketing of get well from a cold faster or as a preventative might, plays a part in it "working" very well. I forget the psychology term used when someone actually gets better if they really truely believe something will have such an effect but if it works for you, great. I'm not saying it doesnt work, it does work..., but I think a vitamin would do the same for a lower cost.

I do admit, their marketing is very good. The packaging sure got my attention. Even knowing a vitamin does the same, I can see how one would feel the extra kick of it being "airborne" might make it work better.
Last edited May 24, 2007 at 2:07am.
May 24, 2007, 2:40am   #5
tiramisu
Rooaaarrr~~~
I took this when I knew I was catching 'something'... I don't know if it actually worked, but I didn't end up getting a full-blown cold/flu. It is essentially vitamins, so I guess if you took vitamins and minerals or anything that boosts your immune system, it works? Maybe it is convenient that the mixture is in one packet...
May 24, 2007, 9:03am   #6
BagAngel
Louis Vuitton Addict
Originally Posted by Prada's Meadow
http://www.epinions.com/content_195424980612

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp76905_33...lt_formula.htm

Try this link. This is Airborne for Adults......... Just added another link.
Thanks Prada, that worked!

I see it has vitamins but also echinacea & ginger which are very good for the immune system so probably why it may be a bit more effective than a multivitamin
May 24, 2007, 9:43am   #7
H
HubbaWubba
Account Deactivated
I believe this works. If I even feel the slightest cold come on, I take this and it doesn't seem so bad. Also Zycam is good.
May 24, 2007, 9:37pm   #8
ArmCandyLuvr
Originally Posted by melikemochi
I forget the psychology term used when someone actually gets better if they really truely believe something will have such an effect but if it works for you, great.
It's called the placebo effect.

I don't use this product, but I do believe that a healthy diet that includes a daily multivitamin has helped me fend off sickness. Since going on FoodMover in November 2005, I have not been sick once. Everyone around me caught colds, the flu, and other seasonal bugs, but I didn't so much as have a case of the sniffles.
May 24, 2007, 10:03pm   #9
BagAngel
Louis Vuitton Addict
Originally Posted by ArmCandyLuvr
It's called the placebo effect.

I don't use this product, but I do believe that a healthy diet that includes a daily multivitamin has helped me fend off sickness. Since going on FoodMover in November 2005, I have not been sick once. Everyone around me caught colds, the flu, and other seasonal bugs, but I didn't so much as have a case of the sniffles.
What is Foodmover?
May 25, 2007, 9:58am   #10
Kimm992
I use Cold FX and it works like magic. I usually get 2-3 colds every winter (basically if someone even sneezes near me I get really really sick).

This winter anytime I felt a cold coming on I took Cold FX and I didn't get sick even once.

Many of my friends use this too and have the same great results.
May 25, 2007, 11:45am   #11
ArmCandyLuvr
Originally Posted by BagAngel
What is Foodmover?
FoodMover is the program developed by Richard Simmons that helped me lose all my weight.
May 25, 2007, 4:46pm   #12
BagAngel
Louis Vuitton Addict
Originally Posted by ArmCandyLuvr
FoodMover is the program developed by Richard Simmons that helped me lose all my weight.
Thanks, I will google see what I can find :)
May 25, 2007, 4:54pm   #13
amanda
I Bleed Georgia Red
i have a friend who has SERIOUS medical issues that swears by this stuff, she's the one that started me on it. her dad is a rep for one of the large drug companies, and he puts his stamp of approval on it. i've seriously never met someone who wasn't a doctor who was so knowledgeable on health issues, medication, etc. and if it's good enough for her, then it's good enough for me.
May 25, 2007, 6:57pm   #14
sea4e
I heard from someone that it gave them diarrhea.
May 26, 2007, 3:15pm   #15
cassidyfit1
This stuff is NOT good for you. Actually very bad for you if you take the recommended dosages. There was an article I read in my Nutrition Action Newsletter http://www.cspinet.org/nah/index.htm that you can actually OD on the amounts of Vitamin A and E in Airborne and other stuff in there if you take the recommended dosages. Unfortunately I threw that issue away but the article went on to say that Airborne is basically crap and can even be dangerous.

Yes it does have some good stuff but nothing in there will prevent you from getting a cold.

Here is more info from Wikipedia:
Although it is recommended that Airborne be taken "at the first sign of a cold symptom, or before entering crowded environments, like airplanes and offices," the package explicitly states that Airborne is "not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease." This is because Airborne has not undergone any testing by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and Knight-McDowell Labs would be violating FDA regulations on Structure/Function claims were they to state on the packaging that it cured or prevented any disease.

A questionable study
Scientific studies supporting Airborne's effectiveness are few in number. The study often referenced in favor of Airborne was sponsored by the Knight-McDowell Labs, manufacturers of Airborne.[3] "GNG Pharmaceutical Services Inc.", claims to have conducted this study with 120 adults, and reported that 47% of Airborne recipients showed little or no cold or flu symptoms, whereas only 23% of the recipients of a placebo pill showed equal results.[4] However, in February of 2006, ABC News discovered that GNG Pharmaceutical Services has no official clinic, scientists, or even doctors. In fact the company comprises only two men, who started the company just to perform this study. Because of the bad publicity that this controversy has brought forth, Knight-McDowell Labs has removed all references to the study from their packaging and web site.[5]

Vitamin excess
A medical report on drugs and therapeutics regarding Airborne, along with its emphasis that the evidence of cold prevention or treatment of the formula is inconclusive, gives reason to believe that the supplement is unsafe as directed, specifically regarding its excess of vitamin C:

There are some concerns. First, there is no conclusive evidence that this product or any of its ingredients prevents colds or shortens their duration. Second, the adult tablet contains 1 g of vitamin C, and the directions for use advise taking 1 tablet at the first sign of a cold and repeating the dose every 3 hours as necessary. Vitamin C in doses higher than 1 g increases oxalate and urate excretion and may cause kidney stones. Third, the safety of this herbal extraction combination has not been established. And with herbs and dietary supplements in general, we only have the manufacturers’ word on the label for what’s in them.

It has been determined that extreme amounts of vitamin C can lead to severe diarrhea, although in recent publications, the link between excess doses of vitamin C and kidney stones has been disputed. However, Airborne's 5,000 IUs of vitamin A per serving has become another major health concern. The recommended safe upper limit for vitamin A is 10,000 IUs daily. This amount is easily exceeded when following Airborne's directions, as it is stated on the packaging, to "repeat every three hours as necessary" (with a maximum of three doses per day).

Pregnant women especially are advised to exercise extreme caution regarding Airborne consumption. Excess preformed vitamin A (from as little as only twice the daily recommended amount) during early pregnancy has been associated with a significant increase in life-threatening birth defects. Vitamin A is indeed necessary for fetal development, but most women already carry stores of it in their fat cells. Researchers recommend that pregnant women either restrict their supplemental consumption of vitamin A to 4,000 - 8,000 IUs daily, or they should instead consume beta carotene.
Last edited May 26, 2007 at 3:19pm.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >