Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

2014 fitness support: working out and eating well through Winter.

POST A REPLY

Jan 2, 2014, 9:40pm   #1
twinkle.tink
Choose to be happy
A place for support and friends as we work toward our goals in 2014.
This thread will run through the first day of Spring, March 20, 2014; 10 weeks from today.

Please feel free to share as little or as much as you would like. Your goals, your methods, progress reports, advice, etc.

Positive support only, please. Not every method works for every one, the method is unimportant....what does matter, is kindness, courtesy and helping each other to our goals.

Here we go!
Jan 2, 2014, 10:13pm   #2
twinkle.tink
Choose to be happy
My family and I are still on Winter vacation, so I am giving myself some slack...while trying to to sabotage myself, either.

I do not have a weight goal, per se. I am currently a size 8 and think I want to be a size 6. I hedge with the think because my number one goal is toning. What I have decided to do is focus on more consistent exercise. Even through my whole weight loss journey I have done minimal exercise and what I have done was not very consistent.

I 'kinda' did a plank challenge in Oct/Nov, but in Dec. I did a squat challenge and the results have convinced me...yes, it's time to move more. So starting Monday, I will be doing an Ab challenge, adding more daily steps and maybe some other exercise program. I am OK with being fluid and trying some different things and listening to my body, as long as I do something everyday. When the ab challenge is done, I will move on to an arm challenge (to get ready for tank time ).

As far as 'diet', I will continue the modified paleo I have been doing for about a year. When I was actively losing weight I was pretty close to 100%. I have been on 'maintenance' since July, so I have been shooting for 80%, but actually only hitting about 70%. I will be trying to hit 85-90% initially and see what I think. I don't want to lose too fast (if at all) and want to make sure to get plenty of protein to support my extra exercise. I will also make sure to get plenty of healthy fat to help support losing the tummy fat.

Excited and ready to go!
Last edited Jan 2, 2014 at 10:52pm.
Jan 2, 2014, 10:21pm   #3
kmd1_123
I'm totally on board with you.

I am in my final year of university, hoping to get back to my pre freshman 15 weight. So the goal is 15 pounds, but at the end of the day, weight doesn't really matter to me, I just want to fit back into my jeans

I am pretty good with working out consistently, it is the eating well and portion control that I have to make a habit. I have tried the paleo and calorie counting, but I seem to have a hard time keeping up with it. I am going to try something different this time around. I'm going to try to focus on portion sizing as well as eating only raw foods until dinner (salads, overnight oats, fruits, veggies). Dinner is where I will get my protein and fats :)

Good luck ladies!
Jan 3, 2014, 12:03am   #4
youngster
I'm on board too.

I have about 5 lbs to go and then should be back in my skinny jeans. I got through the holidays really well, despite all the food and sweets around and have been exercising every day.

I've done strength training for years but my knee and then a tendon injury caused me to slow down and pull back on it for way longer than I should have. Now that I'm finally healed up, I'm back at it and really enjoying being able to lift weights and do pilates again. I bought a couple of new Yoga dvds that should be here in a day or two and will add that in as well.

Tink, I've had fun using resistance bands for sculpting and toning. You can customize your resistance level, just by grabbing lower on the band or tightening up on it. I wrap one end around hand weights and do bicep curls or back rows with my foot on the other end, wrap it around my foot to do one-legged squats, etc. Lots of possibilities.
Jan 3, 2014, 12:37am   #5
D
Designed_One
Originally Posted by twinkle.tink
My family and I are still on Winter vacation, so I am giving myself some slack...while trying to to sabotage myself, either.

I do not have a weight goal, per se. I am currently a size 8 and think I want to be a size 6. I hedge with the think because my number one goal is toning. What I have decided to do is focus on more consistent exercise. Even through my whole weight loss journey I have done minimal exercise and what I have done was not very consistent.

I 'kinda' did a plank challenge in Oct/Nov, but in Dec. I did a squat challenge and the results have convinced me...yes, it's time to move more. So starting Monday, I will be doing an Ab challenge, adding more daily steps and maybe some other exercise program. I am OK with being fluid and trying some different things and listening to my body, as long as I do something everyday. When the ab challenge is done, I will move on to an arm challenge (to get ready for tank time ).

As far as 'diet', I will continue the modified paleo I have been doing for about a year. When I was actively losing weight I was pretty close to 100%. I have been on 'maintenance' since July, so I have been shooting for 80%, but actually only hitting about 70%. I will be trying to hit 85-90% initially and see what I think. I don't want to lose too fast (if at all) and want to make sure to get plenty of protein to support my extra exercise. I will also make sure to get plenty of healthy fat to help support losing the tummy fat.

Excited and ready to go!
Have you tried or considered doing weight training?
Jan 3, 2014, 5:37am   #6
pollekeskisses
I'm in. I started eating healthier and less a year and 2 days ago. Due to health-issues i'm hardly able to excersise but I try on my good days.

So far in a year I've lost 25pounds, about 20 more to go. I started out a size 24 and my goal is to fit comfy in a size 16. I'm currently halfway at size 20.

I use fitwatch.com as a guide and inspirational source, I'm doing this on my own with no family support. Started with counting my intake, then cutting off pieces of 100kcal each 3months or when a plateau hit.

For me a great methode is to eat hot meals twice a day. This because then I know exactly what I eat because I freezer cook my lunch meals. Add some fruit and vetgies and I just know each meal is 'enough'.
Jan 3, 2014, 6:13am   #7
dcooney4
This sounds great! I need to get more active with exercise.
Jan 3, 2014, 12:36pm   #8
Coco Belle
spreading love!
I haven't worked out beyond maybe 30 hours of Pilates since I got pregnant (so, two years ago now... eek), and I have a connective tissue disorder that is way better controlled when I break a sweat once a day. Plus, I turned 30 last year. I need to get on top of this before my arse is down to my knees and I didn't notice ten years pass me by.

My goal is a 30 minute workout per day for the next ten weeks. I'm still nursing so no goals in terms of diet.

Yesterday I did this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGvzVjuY8SY
and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bYtysQO7pI plus some Pilates

And the day before I did this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaJryQEsT94 plus some Pilates

And today I want to do this http://www.amazon.com/Exhale-Core-Fu.../dp/B001AZI236 (great DVD)

fitnessblender.com is a really good resource for anyone who is short on cash or time and is worried about getting bored with the same routine over and over. I just do whatever I feel like, and stop when I hit 30 minutes, easy peasy.

Wondering whether I should take measurements or photos to see if I can detect a difference in my body. Hmm.
Jan 3, 2014, 1:04pm   #9
LouisNY
I am in too. I do not need to loose weight, I am already a size 0. But I want to get toned and fit. I am always tired and I was eating not so healthy the last few weeks. So now I am back on track.
Eating good and working out is on my focus again.
Jan 3, 2014, 1:15pm   #10
twinkle.tink
Choose to be happy
Originally Posted by Coco Belle
I haven't worked out beyond maybe 30 hours of Pilates since I got pregnant (so, two years ago now... eek), and I have a connective tissue disorder that is way better controlled when I break a sweat once a day. Plus, I turned 30 last year. I need to get on top of this before my arse is down to my knees and I didn't notice ten years pass me by.

My goal is a 30 minute workout per day for the next ten weeks. I'm still nursing so no goals in terms of diet.

Yesterday I did this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGvzVjuY8SY
and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bYtysQO7pI plus some Pilates

And the day before I did this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaJryQEsT94 plus some Pilates

And today I want to do this http://www.amazon.com/Exhale-Core-Fu.../dp/B001AZI236 (great DVD)

fitnessblender.com is a really good resource for anyone who is short on cash or time and is worried about getting bored with the same routine over and over. I just do whatever I feel like, and stop when I hit 30 minutes, easy peasy.

Wondering whether I should take measurements or photos to see if I can detect a difference in my body. Hmm.
You should! For me, the measurements really help. From the last thread:

Does everyone take their measurements? I really recommend it! It has really helped me more than once. I was looking them over this week, as I have been trying to decide on a plan of attack for January. I have mentioned, I am pretty much considered myself on 'maintenance' since July 1. Indeed, in that time I have lost about 12 pounds that stays off and another 3-8 that toys with me (off and on, again and again)...but 8 inches in my waist and 8 inches in my hips. Not bad for 'maintenance'.... for me it really helps put in perspective that nagging, 'got get rid of these last 10 pounds' soundtrack in my head.
Jan 3, 2014, 1:39pm   #11
Jahpson
I realized that eating a whole grapefruit first thing in the morning, that my chances of eating sweets and other junk food throughout the day diminishes.

I find the taste is not so bad when I grab the pulp straight out the fruit and not eating the white part.

My goal is to lose at least 10 pounds and keep it gone.
Jan 3, 2014, 1:49pm   #12
bisousx
My body is currently very similar to Britney's, around 23-24% body fat. I typically get fluffy every winter by indulging in mac and cheese, pizza, sushi, everything I love, because let's face it... If I don't have to be in a bikini, I'm gonna eat it My goal for this year is to have a legit six pack and be around 17% body fat by the time summer rolls around.

I'm finding that as I get closer to 30, it's getting much more difficult for the fat to just melt off. So I've enlisted the help of a popular bodybuilder to help me with my macros and my fitness. His plan has me lifting 5 days a week and 45 minutes of cardio 5 days a week, which I will begin next week.

I've worked my way up to this level of fitness for the last couple years. I started out with mat Pilates and jogging 10 minutes (I couldn't jog for much longer than that without feeling like I was dying) every few days. Then I began adding in hiking, reformer Pilates and intervals of cardio. Last year, I begrudgingly started going to CrossFit (at the insistence of my bf) and ended up enjoying it, because now I can pretty much do any physical task assigned to me like run several miles at a time, run up and down mountains, hike for hours at a time without complaining, etc. The idea of participating in events like the Spartan Beast doesn't scare me anymore.

The only issue I see with this new plan, being in the gym 5 days a week is how time consuming it is, and how much I hate working out around a bunch of men. The working out part isn't intimidating, it's because I'm not accustomed to using machines and I feel kind of dumb glancing around looking for ways to adjust the height (therefore looking like a total noob ) Oh, and I'm totally looking forward to eating regimented meals, none of which include cheese
Jan 3, 2014, 4:10pm   #13
Shoesanddresses
I'm in. I have about 80lbs to lose and I'm joining ww on Monday. I'm hoping to have it come off slow and steady.
Jan 3, 2014, 6:07pm   #14
Coco Belle
spreading love!
Originally Posted by twinkle.tink
You should! For me, the measurements really help. From the last thread:

Does everyone take their measurements? I really recommend it! It has really helped me more than once. I was looking them over this week, as I have been trying to decide on a plan of attack for January. I have mentioned, I am pretty much considered myself on 'maintenance' since July 1. Indeed, in that time I have lost about 12 pounds that stays off and another 3-8 that toys with me (off and on, again and again)...but 8 inches in my waist and 8 inches in my hips. Not bad for 'maintenance'.... for me it really helps put in perspective that nagging, 'got get rid of these last 10 pounds' soundtrack in my head.
I tried to take measurements but then I realised inch loss might demotivate me. I'm hoping to gain muscle but with nursing in play, it's really hard to keep the calories up high enough. My BMI is 18 right now and I look haggard and sick.

I think I will also take some pics of my rear end in profile to see if it perks up at all over the next 10 weeks. All the muscle has been cannibalised so what's left is just a bit of sad wobbly flab. Blah.

ANYWAY! I did my workout for the day. I did Exhale Core Fusion Body Sculpt - just the upper body sequence which is 10 minutes. Then I did this, which is 22 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoZsTarI9uA I subbed one exercise because of my upper back issues.
Jan 3, 2014, 8:14pm   #15
M
MKB0925
Great thread...I want to lose 15lbs by April..we are headed to Jamaica. I am doing a mixture of the Zone and Isagenix...I like their shakes. I started today and so far so good. I did a power walk on the treadmill for 2.5 miles. I also want to head back to the gym on a regular basis.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >