Home Bags, Bags, Bags Handbags & Purses

Ok so dosnt this ever put you off Chanel

POST A REPLY

May 10, 2012, 3:10pm   #46
Originally Posted by Zahzah
I have really seen celine bags? what are they like?

can anyone recommend me a shoulder handbag alternative to the chanel classic flap...dont have to be quilted or chain. Just something cute that i can dress up and down.
I need to find an alternative untill i can finally pick up the courage to buy a chanel if i ever buy one that is lol.
Are you looking for something structured? What size? Does it need to have a flap?
May 10, 2012, 3:15pm   #47
Z
Originally Posted by slowlikehoney
Are you looking for something structured? What size? Does it need to have a flap?
Structured but not too structured as in not slouchy but not boxy either.
Small/medium size- needs to fit a largish wallet, lipstick, phone, gum, and maybe a sunglasses case and a small brush. It dosnt have to be a flap either. Anything cute :)
May 10, 2012, 6:43pm   #48
Structured but not too structured as in not slouchy but not boxy either.
Small/medium size- needs to fit a largish wallet, lipstick, phone, gum, and maybe a sunglasses case and a small brush. It dosnt have to be a flap either. Anything cute :)
Without knowing your style or price range I came up with these:

http://www.katespade.com/designer-ha...efault,sc.html

http://www.mulberry.com/#/storefront/c6187/c6188/

http://www.toryburch.com/handbags-sh...efault,sc.html

None of these are my favorite designers or anything, I just tried to come up with some things I might get instead of a Chanel Flap if I were looking for something like that.
May 10, 2012, 7:12pm   #49
Emma 4ever in my <3
Would you consider looking @ bags from other companies or do you think it's just Chanel?
Here's a couple of YSL's that might get your interest:
http://www.ysl.com/en_US/shop-products/Women/Handbags/Chyc/medium-ysl-chyc-shoulder-bag-in-black-leather_804766319.html?recref=#!{"products":{"2912 04BUB0G":{"size":"U","color":"1000"}}}

http://www.ysl.com/en_US/shop-products/Women/Handbags/Muse-Two/medium-ysl-muse-two-in-light-sepia-degrade-lizard-embossed-leather%2C-suede-leather_804871322.html?recref=#!{"products":{"2955 28BL32G":{"size":"U","color":"1255"}}}
May 10, 2012, 7:15pm   #50
Emma 4ever in my <3
Oooh! I am sorry! I don't know what happened! I was trying to show you a couple of smart looking YSL handbags.
May 10, 2012, 9:08pm   #51
♥ Lambskin Lover ♥
Originally Posted by CaliInTim
It does put me off as well, to tell you the truth. I was dying for a classic flap m/l, but when I found out it is actually over $4000 now, ($4,400 to be exact), I decided against taking the plunge. On top of that, of course, it was not available in the color and hardware combo I wanted, and they won't call you if they get one in or anything. They are of no help, at least at the South Coast Plaza boutique. Yes, they are beautiful, yes I secretly sometimes still want one, but I just cannot justify that much. I may buy a Celine instead now, which is slightly more reasonable for me. The only expensive bag I own is a Balenciaga city, which is dirt cheap compared to any Chanel flap these days!
If you want Chanel, and don't have a good experience at SCP, try NM in Fashion Island; they are really helpful there.
May 10, 2012, 9:10pm   #52
♥ Lambskin Lover ♥
Originally Posted by MissLianne
Great thread! Especially bc I have decided to hopefully purchase my first Chanel in France (my first trip to Paris! yay!)

I have wanted a Chanel for as long as I was old enough to wear a purse lol. I LOVE Louis Vuitton and Gucci (I'm Italian so Gucci is the holy grail in my family especially my Mom).

I initially wanted a Chanel Classic Flap... I love the Jumbo just not prepared to spend that kind of money (I'm 27). I then thought of buying a m/l flap for my 30th birthday in a few years. I live a very casual lifestyle... I don't even have to dress up for work (big .com company). When I go out at night/out for dinner my LV pochette, gucci flaps etc work just fine for me.

When my dbf and I decided to go to Paris I immediately said... LV time! But then I thought about it and thought why not... let's get a Chanel. My budget is around 2500-2600 so we'll see what I find. I really like the GST and I think it fits my lifestyle right now.

Classic Flap one day... when I have my dream job and worked a few more years. I kinda want something to look forward to you know? I can only imagine what the price will be in a few years.

For me Chanel is the holy grail of bags... LV is second... Gucci is third. I know they might not be the BEST or most expensive brands. But I like em!
Have a great time in Paris!
May 10, 2012, 9:16pm   #53
p
I think it depends on whether u really love it. If yes, one will look towards saving
May 10, 2012, 9:20pm   #54
p
My tots.. Depends whether u love it a lot enough to wana spend tat amount.. At day end, u r paying not just for the leather/design, u r oso paying for the brand name. If u hv been thinking of it day in n out over a period, say a month, then i'd say get if u can afford it.
May 11, 2012, 12:27am   #55
Z
Originally Posted by slowlikehoney
Without knowing your style or price range I came up with these:

http://www.katespade.com/designer-ha...efault,sc.html

http://www.mulberry.com/#/storefront/c6187/c6188/

http://www.toryburch.com/handbags-sh...efault,sc.html

None of these are my favorite designers or anything, I just tried to come up with some things I might get instead of a Chanel Flap if I were looking for something like that.
Thank you :) I like the mulberry one :)
May 11, 2012, 1:44am   #56
"..."
Ita w/indiaink. It's a fact of life. We can't do anything about the price increases. We all have to accept it. In the meantime, look for other brands that fits your basic needs and wants.

If you do really love Chanel, save the money and get a Chanel bag in a particular design you really want. It depends on how many Chanels you need to have. You can be the lady with only 1 Chanel Classic Flap for the rest of her life and enjoy using her every moment or you can be a collector of many Chanels.

Plus, there are many fellow Chanel tpf'ers who own their 1st Chanel after many years later, some in their late 40s after years of working hard and saving. While there are many young tpf'ers who own many Chanels in their early 20s. It all depends on how much badly you love a Chanel.

Otherwise, look for preloved and that's how many Chanel new and existing owners are looking at right now. Personally, I have not bought a Chanel bag for a long time but I enjoy keeping all Karl Lagerfeld creations such as RTW and wearing when opportunity comes because Karl won't be alive forever.
May 11, 2012, 5:28am   #57
Thank you :) I like the mulberry one :)
If you scroll through the bags on each page there are a few for each designer that are more "Chanel like" further down or sideways on the Mulberry site. (chains/flaps)
Happy hunting
May 11, 2012, 10:05am   #58
Here is my .02:

Chanel doesn't care whether or not we like the price increases because we are not their demographic. Their demographic doesn't save for a bag or consider it a splurge. Their target market doesn't wait for months or years on end until they can afford one bag, and then post in the forums about how they don't dare let it touch the floor for fear of dirtying the bag they're going to carry the next 10 years.

I know it's disheartening but it's true. If us little people could easily afford Chanel then it simply wouldn't be Chanel and big spenders wouldn't buy it. I'm sure between all the celebrities, socialites and the politician's wives here in DC that profits are just fine. They put about as much thought into their purchase as we do our Starbucks latte...even though I am bitter about their prices lately :)...
May 11, 2012, 1:11pm   #59
Originally Posted by lenaofdc
Here is my .02:

Chanel doesn't care whether or not we like the price increases because we are not their demographic. Their demographic doesn't save for a bag or consider it a splurge. Their target market doesn't wait for months or years on end until they can afford one bag, and then post in the forums about how they don't dare let it touch the floor for fear of dirtying the bag they're going to carry the next 10 years.

I know it's disheartening but it's true. If us little people could easily afford Chanel then it simply wouldn't be Chanel and big spenders wouldn't buy it. I'm sure between all the celebrities, socialites and the politician's wives here in DC that profits are just fine. They put about as much thought into their purchase as we do our Starbucks latte...even though I am bitter about their prices lately :)...
Thank you for saying this.
Just... thank you!
May 11, 2012, 1:19pm   #60
Hey OP, I hear what you are saying. Indeed the prices are ridiculous. The flap bag is exquisite and Chanel is milking that of course. You are asking for an alternative but are you sure, deep down, you want the alternative or are you just settling? If you are settling you will still be coveting the Chanel. And the money you've spent on an alternative bag could have gone towards your HG. If you really want the Chanel you might want to save towards it
POST A REPLY
  HOME Bags, Bags, Bags Handbags & Purses