Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Is there a bag Hierarchy???

POST A REPLY

Jul 17, 2006, 1:31pm   #1
CastoCreations
Okay, I admit...I'm super new to the whole designer bag scene. I'm in love with a few LVs now that I never would have given a second glance to three months ago. LOL

So, here's my question...is there a bag hierarchy? I mean, is one brand considered more exclusive than another? Or perhaps the brands kind of go in order of price? Or is it pretty much just based on personal preference?

Not that I generally care what's in style or more in fashion, but I was just curious after browsing some of the designer subcats. I really love some of the LVs and thought they were crazy expensive...until I went into the Hermes subcat.

Sticker shock! LOL
Jul 17, 2006, 1:57pm   #2
yeuxhonnetes
i suppose LV and Hermes are somewhere at the top

however, LV maintains its exclusivity by never ever going on sale, because of their permanent lines. all the other brands -- even Hermes -- go on sale, because their lines go by season, so they have to get rid of their older bags before introducing the new ones, which somehow downplays their exclusivity.

and i think i explained that wrong somehow
Jul 17, 2006, 2:10pm   #3
sonya
Hermes is probably the most high end (well, there are more exclusive lines I'm sure, but Hermes is the most "mainstream").

Bottega Veneta is trying to be the Italian "Hermes."

Those are the most high end, in my opinion.

Louis Vuitton is very high end too, but the starting price point is not so high. The limited edition pieces, however, are gorgeous.

But I would put Goyard above Louis Vuitton, just based on price.
Jul 17, 2006, 2:13pm   #4
L
La Vanguardia
PAPER DOLL
Just for clarification, only Hermès ready-to-wear and shoes go on sale .. or small leather accessories that have not been sold for 2-3 years at the inventory. It is very rare that they put bags on sale ... almost never.

The Kelly is a design from 1930s, the Bolide from 1920s, the HAC from 1890s, the Birkin from 1980s and these bags are still being produced so Hermès bags are not seasonal. Once in a while, they design new bags, but they are supposed to be in the collection forever and not just for a particular season.

Hermès handbags are also handmade by a crafstman and each bag has an ID of the craftsman who made it, very different from LV.
Jul 17, 2006, 2:15pm   #5
koukanamiya
It is what it is
I was told that Hermes and Bottega Veneta are the only brands that are completely hand made nowadays. Therefore, those are two that I'm sticking with.
Jul 17, 2006, 2:17pm   #6
Swanky Mama Of Three
I'd put Chanel ahead of LV and maybe some Bottegas are there as well. There's a GORGEOUS new Chanel coming out this F/W retailing for $14k.
Hermes is at the top of the food chain, but I don't care for them . . . the priciest isn't always the most beautiful to everyone!
Jul 17, 2006, 2:18pm   #7
LisaG719
Living life...
I definitely veiw Hermes as above LV.
Jul 17, 2006, 2:57pm   #8
l
likeafeather77
I think Hermes is at the top, followed by Chanel, and LV at the bottom of the MOST high-end bags! I can't say anything about Bottega Veneta because I don't really like their designs.
Jul 17, 2006, 3:03pm   #9
seahorseinstripes
bag greed bug
1. hermes
2. chanel
3. bottega veneta
4. louis vuitton
Jul 17, 2006, 3:15pm   #10
Swanky Mama Of Three
I think Chloe may be slightly ahead of LV as well.
LV is just ahead or similar to Gucci and Prada IMO.
Jul 17, 2006, 3:22pm   #11
rainbow_rose
ChampagneBubbleOfAGirl!
I'd definitly say hermes was near the top along with Chanel. IMO I would say LV is somewhere near the top - middle as its definitly not as exclusive as Chanel, and nowadays all you see is FAKE LV's everywhere so that definitly lowers its ranking IMO.
I'd also Bottega Veneta is quite near the top althogh I don't really care for their designs that much.
I'd also say Chloe is definitly working its way towards the top, its certainly come along way in these past few years.
Other ones to watch are Luella, Mulberry and balenciaga. These have all made huge statments with their handbags in the past few seasons.
xxxRosexxx
Jul 17, 2006, 3:46pm   #12
Kat
(1) Hermes
(2) Bottega Veneta
(3) Gucci
It is my understanding Hermes and Gucci both started out making saddles. They really are fine leather craftsmen.
Jul 17, 2006, 5:00pm   #13
sonya
Originally Posted by Kat
(1) Hermes
(2) Bottega Veneta
(3) Gucci
It is my understanding Hermes and Gucci both started out making saddles. They really are fine leather craftsmen.

Gucci owns Bottega Veneta. The Gucci Group considers Bottega Veneta the creme de la creme of their portfolio, FYI.
Jul 17, 2006, 6:49pm   #14
crochetbella
~H~
Hermes is #1!
Jul 17, 2006, 8:43pm   #15
Swanky Mama Of Three
OH wow! You think Gucci is more valuable than Chanel or LV!?

I love these threads! It's so interesting to read other POVs!
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >