Home Bags, Bags, Bags Handbags & Purses

Do you feel guilty about money spent on designer bags?

POST A REPLY

Jul 25, 2006, 8:05pm   #16
m
I feel guilty most always. Mostly because I don't need any more bags, and I feel I should spend the money on charitable causes, my husband, kids, etc. It makes me feel very selfish. But do I stop?? NO!!!
Jul 25, 2006, 9:28pm   #17
You look at your bag and use it a bunch!!
Jul 25, 2006, 10:00pm   #18
I feel guilty, and I don't even buy much. LOL.
Jul 25, 2006, 10:06pm   #19
baguette collector
Sometimes I feel guilty, but I think if I work and pay for the bag and I live up to all my responsibilities then it is really my choice to use some money as I see fit. Once in a while you have to treat yourself, so don't worry about it.
Jul 25, 2006, 10:20pm   #20
I set a budget on what I am going to spend, if I go over this then I feel guilty.
Jul 25, 2006, 10:34pm   #21
Why not?
I feel guilty when I buy a $30 top and wear it once.

I feel guilty when we go out to dinner for $90, when I could have made it at home for $20.

I do not feel guilty dropping $1k for a bag (or jewelry, or jacket, or what-have-you) if it is something I use or wear over and over and over again.

Bang for the buck - it's all about what you get out of it.
Jul 26, 2006, 12:34am   #22
::pretty:tough::
Congrats on your B-bag, you worked hard for it! You shouldn't feel guilty because you're financially responsible. Forget the guilt and be proud to carry such a well deserved bag. You go girl!
Sep 11, 2006, 6:00pm   #23
L
Does anyone feel guilty when they spend over $1500.00 for a bag and buy 3 or 4 in a season? I want to buy another but, have bought 4 Gucci's this season and 1 Marc Jacobs. Why do I feel sooo guilty about my bag addiction? I feel materialistic about my bag affair.
Sep 11, 2006, 6:35pm   #24
B
I know what you mean!! It is an awful lot of money for handbags. I hate when people ask me the price of a bag I'm carrying. (First of all, it's rude.) But I hate that I feel like I have to defend myself!

But that's my own issue. I work for my money. Honestly. And I give to charities. And I pay my bills and save money. But it is extravagant, no matter how you look at it. There are lots of people who don't spend that kind of money on stuff like this. But a lot of people spend on something else.
Sep 11, 2006, 9:16pm   #25
Purses are so expensive these days but their prices have become 'normalized.' When I bought my LV Cherry Blossom Retro, I thought I was dropping a lot by paying $1000... now, we don't blink when we spend $2000! It's crazy!!! You can buy diamonds for less (something my mother pointed out to me when I picked a Stam over jewelry for a gift). You shouldn't feel guilty about loving designer purses! But I know for myself, there IS a limit to how much I will fork out for designers who take the mickey by hiking prices season after season.

I think the important thing is to be picky and only buy what you really adore - make a wishlist and then cross off what you can live without - and then the pieces you'll have you'll cherish beyond the season. Kinda like buying art!
Sep 11, 2006, 10:05pm   #26
V
Not if I really want it!! : )
Sep 11, 2006, 10:59pm   #27
I used to feel guilty, then I decided that we all make choices as to how to spend money. My husband and I don't drink or smoke, and we don't have an extravagant lifestyle. We do like to purchase nice clothes, and designer bags for me (yay! )

Life is short--we deserve to be happy. As long as we aren't going broke buying new bags, I think it's okay. They do make us HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY!!!
Sep 11, 2006, 11:27pm   #28
ALMA HUNTER
On a very quiet..strange day...I do.......

I dont feel guilty per say but I feel now that I have a few, I need to cool off. For me, I only started to buy the expensive bags after 15 yrs of hard work and when our finances were better...so I dont have guilt...although....

all the bags put together is alot of money spent and that does make me feel like I over indulged....

The bottom line for me...I really enjoy and dont spend on alot of other things. All balances out ..... thats my story and Im sticking to it...he he
Sep 11, 2006, 11:34pm   #29
I agree with Snowwhite; it used to bother me a little bit, but now I realize that it's my money and how I choose to spend it is up to me. I don't mind dropping a lot on a bag that makes me really happy, and if I use it every day, I think it's totally worth it!
Sep 12, 2006, 12:42am   #30
Classic Mono Girl
I think I'm constantly "abusing" myself by making myself feel bad for buying my first LV.

I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't club, I hardly buy new clothes (my last purchase was sometime in Jan/Feb 2006 because I stick to wardrobe staples), I buy a pair of shoes only once every half a year (haha, kudos to Birkenstock!), I don't lunch, hmmm... I guess that's quite a bit of money saved??

But I still don't know why I feel guilty about spending such money on a bag. I don't see the point in feeling guilty because otherwise I'd have spent the money on other unnecessary stuff, e.g. cigarettes, alcohol, clubbing, movies.....

It's just a phase. I'll get over it.
POST A REPLY
  HOME Bags, Bags, Bags Handbags & Purses