Home Bags, Bags, Bags Handbags & Purses

Can you recolor a leather bag?

POST A REPLY

Jan 3, 2009, 9:08am   #1
Got my HG!
Has anyone ever tried to recolor a leather handbag? lovinmybags.com does it but it's pretty pricey. Then I also found this too: http://www.leathermagiceurope.co.uk/...rrecolrkit.htm. Where you can do it yourself.

I read the thread on Lovin' My Bags and people had good experience but it took a while to get your bag back and it costs up to $500 which I am not willing to pay for a bag that cost me 1/2 that much.

What do you guys think?
Jan 3, 2009, 9:34am   #2
little gouda
I think there are girls in the Balenciaga forum who dye their own bags,

http://forum.purseblog.com/balenciag...rk-398257.html

Here's a thread where someone dyed their RM MAM

http://forum.purseblog.com/rebecca-m...ut-386248.html

Hope this helps you some
Jan 3, 2009, 11:00am   #3
I've had a leather bag redyed its original color at a shoe repair shop. It only cost me $30 or $35 dollars. But, if you want to dye your bag a completely different color I'm sure a shoe repair shop could do that as well.
Jan 3, 2009, 11:23am   #4
Spicy
I'm thinking of recoloring a handbag. I'm looking forward to it! Reading all the others do it has gotten me into a color dyeing frenzy. lol
Jan 3, 2009, 12:50pm   #5
Got my HG!
Originally Posted by cherubicanh
I'm thinking of recoloring a handbag. I'm looking forward to it! Reading all the others do it has gotten me into a color dyeing frenzy. lol
I know, right? Icy did such a great job on the other thread! I looked into the Tarrago dyes and they are only 6.95!
Jan 3, 2009, 1:45pm   #6
m
Do you have to be careful about the dye bleeding in the rain or rubbing off on different-colored items (say, a redyed black purse with a white jacket)?
Jan 3, 2009, 2:38pm   #7
Got my HG!
Originally Posted by meganfm
Do you have to be careful about the dye bleeding in the rain or rubbing off on different-colored items (say, a redyed black purse with a white jacket)?
If you read Icy's post from I DYED my MAM! Come check it out! She says that she got caught in the rain and the water beaded right off. The tarrago website even says that it puts a protectant on your bag too with the dye.

I ordered it. It was 10.79 with shipping. It should be here late this upcoming week. I plan on testing it on a cheaper bag that I have first and if it works well, then I am going to be making the Cole Haan the stone color I have been dreaming of!
Jan 3, 2009, 2:49pm   #8
Spicy
Right! I am doing the same thing. I'm ordering the tarrago dye! I'm mixing a coral and gold together because I want a metallic coral! I can't wait to see pics from everyone!
Jan 3, 2009, 2:59pm   #9
Got my HG!
Cool! Now my only concern is the stitching on my Cole Haan. How would I avoid dying those? I want to color them dark like the stone Cole Haan later after I dye it. Here are some pics...The butter one:

What I want it to look like:
Jan 14, 2009, 5:15pm   #10
s
Does the tarrago dye work if I want to dye a dark bag light? Like from dark brown to ivory? Or does it only work from light to dark?
Jan 14, 2009, 5:53pm   #11
A good leather dye can never go from dark to light. Much like hair color, you cannot go lighter without bleaching the leather first.

Now, you can coat a bag with a different color, but that's not the same thing. To actually dye the leather and change the color of the leather fibers, you can only go darker unless a very experienced person does the work.
Mar 8, 2009, 12:18pm   #12
ChloéClutchCollector
^ Exactly.
POST A REPLY
  HOME Bags, Bags, Bags Handbags & Purses